Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

@jpz4085 Thank you for responding. I tried custom and it did not work. Even tried just Entries

View attachment 392975

and no luck.

When I talked about the guide, I was talking about online guides that walked me through adding an EFI partition. When the went through the diskpart instructions, they always specified the label as "System".

So your EFI partition is named EFI and you have a folder EFI at the root?

When of the things I am struggling with is that my Windows HD has 4 partitions.

1. 1mb unallocated space I cannot seem to merge or move
  2. SYSTEM partition with EFI folder in root
  3. MSR partition (unformatted)
  4. Windows Partition
I am wondering if that first 1 is messing me up. I only see it when using EasyUS tool, not in Disk Manager.

Sounds like you have a legacy Windows installation. Is your Windows drive MBR format? You can check in disk management. If so it would normally have those system and MSR partitions but the guide at the beginning of this thread is for UEFI.

On a GPT format disk the EFI partition is located at the very front and labeled as such and yes it contains the EFI folder and it's contents. GPT/GUID partitioning is also required for Windows UEFI boot mode.

Which Windows entry (legacy or EFI) on the Clover menu works? Also you indicated this is a dedicated Windows drive. Is it first in the UEFI boot order? Just where is Clover booting from? The F12 menu might provide a clue if you're not sure.

Well, I just learned that PCIe M.2 slots cannot be disabled in BIOS. Makes sense I guess.
So, I had to tear it down, remove all NVMe drives except the one I wanted to install windows on... Put the rest of the parts back together... install Windows 10... tear it down again... reinstall the other NVMe drives...put it back together.

needless to say, that was a monumental PitB :-/

Anyway, @Going Bald was right.(Thanks for the nudge) Getting those other drives out of the way was the only way to install Win10 in this case. When will MS decide to become multiboot aware?
I had to do the same today. when I built my hack, windows was already installed on the sata ssd, I had to re-install windows because of an error and couldn't get pass the "next phase" error. disconnected the sata ssd and connected to an old laptop, in order to get windows to install with the correct efi partition, Turns out the Asus touch screen laptop can be hacked! PitB turned into a project for me! I read every post in this thread to see if there was a workaround, and your post was the only solution for us with NVME ssd. thanks

Sounds like you have a legacy Windows installation. Is your Windows drive MBR format? You can check in disk management. If so it would normally have those system and MSR partitions but the guide at the beginning of this thread is for UEFI.

On a GPT format disk the EFI partition is located at the very front and labeled as such and yes it contains the EFI folder and it's contents. GPT/GUID partitioning is also required for Windows UEFI boot mode.

Which Windows entry (legacy or EFI) on the Clover menu works? Also you indicated this is a dedicated Windows drive. Is it first in the UEFI boot order? Just where is Clover booting from? The F12 menu might provide a clue if you're not sure.

1. Before I created the EFI partition I ran a convert and diskpart told me it was already GPT so it was never MBR
  2. The EFI partition is at the front, right befor the MSR. The EFI file was transferred from the clover EFI folder and I also did a rebuild of the EFI.
  3. It boots from the entry labeled Boot Microsoft EFI from SYSTEM, which is the first option available on the clover screen. The other 2 options are Boot macOS from Macintosh HD and the last one is Boot Windows from SYSTEM
  4. I assume you mean in BIOS. I tried having only the UEFI Clover as the first drive, everything else disabled.
  5. Clover boots from Boot macOS from Macintosh HD (the EFI partition for clover)
I will remove the non UEFI boot data from the Windows UEFI folder if it's there and that's the issue. Will report back.

@jpz4085 I finally figured out what's causing the problem. I wiped the partition again and recreated the bootrec and bcdboot.

It seems like it installs both UEFI and AND legacy boot:

I just need to figure out which files to erase. Looks like the whole Microsoft folder needs to go.

@jpz4085 I finally figured out what's causing the problem. I wiped the partition again and recreated the bootrec and bcdboot.

It seems like it installs both UEFI and AND legacy boot:

View attachment 393231

I just need to figure out which files to erase. Looks like the whole Microsoft folder needs to go.
im Not a Pro or anything, but after comparing my Microsoft folders to the pic posted above, I think the BCD has to go. not sure, but I do not see BCD in my folder

MultiBooting Win10, OS X and Ubuntu on separate drives is as simple a procedure as installing all 3 on the same drive and booting them with Clover ( See http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/ ).
What you need:

3 HDDs or SSDs or some combination of the two.
Your installation USBs:

View attachment 205199

some time and patience.

For this guide, there is no need to give detailed installation instructions for OS X - this guide already exists.
Due to the way I install the boot files for Linux, I need to install OS X before installing Ubuntu.
You can install either OS X or Win10 first. I chose to do Win10 first.

The only special thing you need to do for Win10 is create the EFI partition as the first partition on the drive and format the drive GPT partition tables. This is easiest to do with the OS X Disk Utility, but it can be done from an elevated command window at the Win10 installer screen with diskpart. If you do not know how to do it with diskpart I suggest you do it with OS X Disk Utility. Note that CSM must be enabled for the installation process.

For Win10:
Connect a drive, insert OS X Install USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device. Select the OS X Install USB. At the installation screen, select Utilities->Disk Utility and format the drive single partition GUID/Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When done, exit Disk Utility. Quit the OS X installer.
Remove the OS X Install USB and insert the Win10 USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device.
Windows shows up as USB: Win10Installer (or whatever you named the USB) and as UEFI USB: Win10Installer.
Select the UEFI USB: Win10Installer and boot the system.
At the installation screen, select Custom Install. At the next screen select the OS X partition and delete it - do not delete the EFI partition. With the resulting free space hi-lited, install Windows to the space. The installer will create and format the partitions for you. When finished, update and install your 3rd party apps and security suite. Reboot to BIOS/UEFI and disable CSM. Save&exit, continue boot to desktop. Shut down, disconnect the drive.

For OS X:
Follow the guide at http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

I went ahead and upgraded to Sierra PB2 while I had a new installation of El Capitan just to make sure there were no surprises with Sierra.

For Linux:
You should have created your USB for UEFI installation. If you did not, you need to go back and do this. I found Rufus to work well for this.
Normally, I would disconnect the OS X drive before installing another OS. This time, since I want to install the Linux boot loader to the UEFI folder on the OS X drive, I will leave it connected.
So, with the system shut down, connect the next drive, insert the Linux Install USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device. Select the Linux Install USB and boot the system.

At the Grub screen boot the Live Linux default and then at the desktop double-click on the install icon.
Select your language (continue).
If your system has a fast network connection, click the burger dots to install updates during the installation process (continue). For Installation type, select "Something else" (continue). You should see something like this:
View attachment 205204

sda is obviously your OS X drive, sdb is your drive for Linux. Select it, click on new partition table. This will wipe the drive to free space. Create your swap, root, home, usr partitions as you normally would for Linux.
When done, make sure you select to put the boot loader files in the sda EFI partition:
View attachment 205205

Click on Install Now and go get a cup of coffee, take a bathroom break, do something else while Linux installs.
When the installation is complete, you will need to reboot. At the post, go ahead and hit the Function key to select the Linux drive to boot to finish the installation and create your user. Remove the install USB. Update if you did not select to update during install, download any apps you want, set the system up and get it working for you as you wish it to. When done, shutdown. Connect the Windows drive.

With all 3 OSs installed and all 3 drives connected boot to the UEFI BIOS and make the OS X drive first in BBS boot order.
When Clover screen shows you will only see icons for OS X and Windows. We will fix this with a config.plist edit.
Choose the OS X icon and boot to desktop. You will need to download Xcode or your favorite plist editor for this next step.
Mount the EFI partition and navigate to the config.plist. Open the config.plist in Xcode and add this entry:

View attachment 205207
Save the config.plist, quit Xcode and reboot. You will see this:
View attachment 205208

and this:
View attachment 205209

And that, my children is just how simple it is.

View attachment 205210

There is just one slight annoying problem I have not solved yet in Sierra: OS X complains "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" "Initialize Ignore Eject" when it boots, complaining about the Linux drive. Previous free 3rd party apps that worked for earlier versions of OS X do not seem to work at all in Sierra yet - maybe the authors will update their apps when the Gold Master is releaased. You can get used to the complaint and just click eject when you boot OS X or find/create another solution.
Really like this guide cause i successfully install win 10 and mac High sierra on separate hdd...dual boot in legacy but my issue is i installed manjaro on same hdd of win 10 and bootloader too on same hdd but while booting to HS clover menu...saw boot window from ..then select this but do got this error ctrl+alt +delete to restart...
What did i do wrong ..help me.plz somebody...thanks

Solved! Apparently when I unchecked Legacy in Clover Configurator GUI but it didn't write it to the config.plist. I checked and unchecked it and it wrote to the config.plist properly. All fixed now, what a pain and waste of time.
Need some help plz

Back