Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

I am asking this because I have tried to install HS on 2 separated ssd disks, and the second installation is not bootable.
I can only boot from the 1st HS installation.
So I thought maybe I should have disconnected the 1st ssd before continuing to the 2nd one.
sounds good

MultiBooting Win10, OS X and Ubuntu on separate drives is as simple a procedure as installing all 3 on the same drive and booting them with Clover.
When I get to the WINDOWS boot menu, I follow it all the way to picking my HDD to install on. When I click install, it keeps freezing up and canceling telling me that I have to reinstall again. I've done this so many times, I think there must be an issue maybe with my BIOS? Can anyone help?

I'm running a Hackintosh High Sierra. And trying to boot from a secondary SSD.

That is an interesting sentence.
Why ? does it have anything to do with the EFI partition?
No, it has to do with maintaining security of the drive. If disconnected, I cannot format it accidentally, it cannot be corrupted by the install media of the new OS I am installing, the installing OS cannot put any of its files on the Mac OS drive (Win10 installer has a bad habit of doing this).

When I get to the WINDOWS boot menu, I follow it all the way to picking my HDD to install on. When I click install, it keeps freezing up and canceling telling me that I have to reinstall again. I've done this so many times, I think there must be an issue maybe with my BIOS? Can anyone help?

I'm running a Hackintosh High Sierra. And trying to boot from a secondary SSD.
Try having only the Win10 to be SSD connected. Boot to Win10 installer and use shift+F10 to open a command window. type diskpart (enter)to start the app; type list disk (enter); note your disk ID - say it is disk 1; type select disk 1 (enter); it should tell you disk 1 selected, then type clean all (enter)-this wipes the drive to nothing. type convert GPT (enter); type exit twice to exit diskpart and the command window, select the drive to install on from the Win10 installation window and proceed to install. The installer will do all formatting.

hi, have you figured out a way to install windows on hackintosh?
I have created a bootable usb using unetbootin 3rd party software. But when i try to boot from the usb in the bios setting....it said "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot meid ain selected boot device and press a key."
I already have mac os high seirra 10.13.6 installed using clover. How can i install windows on a seperate ssd?

Basically i got 2 ssd. 1 is filled up with mac. 1 is currently emptied for windows (haven't formatted it yet")
I got asrock motherboard extreme 4 z370.

Got any other better recommendations to do this?
his is easiest to do with the OS X Disk Utility, but it can be done from an elevated command window at the Win10 installer screen with diskpart. If you do not know how to do it with diskpart I suggest you do it with OS X Disk Utility. Note that CSM must be enabled for the installation process.

For Win10:

hi, have you figured out a way to install windows on hackintosh?
I have created a bootable usb using unetbootin 3rd party software. But when i try to boot from the usb in the bios setting....it said "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot meid ain selected boot device and press a key."
I already have mac os high seirra 10.13.6 installed using clover. How can i install windows on a seperate ssd?

Basically i got 2 ssd. 1 is filled up with mac. 1 is currently emptied for windows (haven't formatted it yet")
I got asrock motherboard extreme 4 z370.

Got any other better recommendations to do this?
Yes,

Follow instructions here - it's easier:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/windows-10-installation-stops-at-setup.260651/#post-1811560

Here the steps I am taking and the errors I am facing

• I have GA-Z370N, no drives connected, just a M.2 NVMe with Mojave+Clover and a blank SSD as the single SATA drive on the mobo;
  • CSM is enabled on BIOS
  • I boot the Windows USB installer using F12 and get to the initial installer screen (several people mention a "Custom Install". I never see that option
  • Hit Shift-F10 and follow the steps on Post #121 to clean the disk, create EFI partition and format it FAT32 with diskpart
  • Go into the Installer
Then I faced two scenarios
  • If I select the unallocated space and hit Next, Windows will try to create the partitions and try to install but it will complain that the EFI partition is NTFS formatted (?!?!?! How in the hell if I just formatted it FAT32?)
  • If instead of clicking Next, I click on "New" to create a New partition, Windows gives me a message that it will create all needed partitions, and creates a primary partition. When I select it and hit next I get "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one..."
IMG_20181120_183216.jpg

Such a pain!

Any thoughts?

I am contemplating opening the machine, taking the M.2 drive out and have just the SSD for Windows on it, not sure if that would help.​

• I have GA-Z370N, no drives connected, just a M.2 NVMe with Mojave+Clover and a blank SSD as the single SATA drive on the mobo;
  • CSM is enabled on BIOS
  • I boot the Windows USB installer using F12 and get to the initial installer screen (several people mention a "Custom Install". I never see that option
  • Hit Shift-F10 and follow the steps on Post #121 to clean the disk, create EFI partition and format it FAT32 with diskpart
  • Go into the Installer
  • If I select the unallocated space and hit Next, Windows will try to create the partitions and try to install but it will complain that the EFI partition is NTFS formatted (?!?!?! How in the hell if I just formatted it FAT32?)
  • If instead of clicking Next, I click on "New" to create a New partition, Windows gives me a message that it will create all needed partitions, and creates a primary partition. When I select it and hit next I get "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one..."
View attachment 366848

Such a pain!

Any thoughts?

I am contemplating opening the machine, taking the M.2 drive out and have just the SSD for Windows on it, not sure if that would help.​

Per the instructions below, you should only have the new windows drive installed in the system all alone.

From Post 1
For Win10:
Connect a drive, insert OS X Install USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device. Select the OS X Install USB. At the installation screen, select Utilities->Disk Utility and format the drive single partition GUID/Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When done, exit Disk Utility. Quit the OS X installer.
Remove the OS X Install USB and insert the Win10 USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device.
Windows shows up as USB: Win10Installer (or whatever you named the USB) and as UEFI USB: Win10Installer.
Select the UEFI USB: Win10Installer and boot the system.
At the installation screen, select Custom Install. At the next screen select the OS X partition and delete it - do not delete the EFI partition. With the resulting free space hi-lited, install Windows to the space. The installer will create and format the partitions for you. When finished, update and install your 3rd party apps and security suite. Reboot to BIOS/UEFI and disable CSM. Save&exit, continue boot to desktop. Shut down, disconnect the drive.

Post 121 is also helpful and maybe a bit more direct... try that one.
Process goes like this:
- boot Windows installer USB
- at first screen press Shift+F10 to get command prompt (hit enter after each line to type)
- type: diskpart
- type: list disk (so you're certain of the disk you're working with, say it is disk 0)
- type: select disk 0
- type: clean (don't blame me if you don't know what this does :mrgreen: - hope there was nothing on that drive you wanted to save)
- type: convert gpt
- type: create partition efi size=200
- type: format quick fs=fat32 label="EFI"
- type: exit
- type: exit

• CSM is enabled on BIOS
  • Go into the Installer
View attachment 366848

Such a pain!

Any thoughts?

I have the GA-Z97MX and I have to pull the M.2 drive off the logic board to get windows installed correctly on an internal SSD. The reason is I also have Mojave installed with clover and believe me you will mess up you Mohave install if you don't remove the M.2 before you try and install windows. Been there done that!

I did remove the M.2 drive and then run the installer again, used diskpart to clean the Windows drive, create the EFI partition and then hit next on installing Windows on the Unallocated space, then it worked well. So, removing all addtional drives is actually mandatory. Tks @ThrasherOSX and @Montmac for your replies.

Back