Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

Dear friends, I need all your skill because I do not know what the hell happened and the solution I have, besides seem illogical is nothing more than acceptable.

Until yesterday at this time I had two separate systems (Windows 10 UEFI mode) and OSX with clover in UEFI mode. Everything worked perfect. From clover could start Windows and OSX.

Until yesterday all normal, but in a fit of stupidity (I tried to install Sierra GM) making installation on a separate disk, disconnecting all disks that was in the system and leaving only the record that he would use .... Not only that he managed to make it work, but this was the beginning of all my problems with UEFI damn .........

Seeing that he was getting nowhere, I reconnected as was everything and began my problems, I did not detect bios where the SSD was installed osx (UEFI mode) and stopped botear power windows disk.

I installed windows in UEFI mode, more than 4 times, and I still can not load it from clover, and when I managed to work takes me more than 9 minutes from clover until it leaves the screen to put the pasword.

Now comes the joke, achievement Sierra GM and install windows, but for normal windows boot time, must not load it from clover.

Can anyone explain what is wrong with my system and help solve it? If you need that information more, do not hesitate to ask.

In advance thanks for the help.

for normal windows boot time, must not load it from clover.
The entry in Clover's configuration is no longer pointing to your re-installed Windows.

Hi Going Bald. Why have to disconnect Windows 10/8.1/7 drive (ssd/hdd), when installling El Capitan? Can I just disable the ports with windows/ntfs drives, before start installation of El Capitan? After instalation, will enable them again and will change boot priority if have to.

Sorry for my english. It's not my native language.

Last edited:
Why have to disconnect Windows 10/8.1/7 drive (ssd/hdd), when installling El Capitan?

You shouldn't have to, unless you have more than one 'System Partition'.

The System Partition contains directories, data files, and UEFI Images. UEFI Images can contain an OS Loader, a driver to extend platform firmware capability, or an application that provides a transient service to the system.

http://www.uefi.org/specifications

Last edited:
cubawire, can you explain what you mean , bcs I'm total new :D
And why Going Bald said to disconnect the drive ''Save&exit, continue boot to desktop. Shut down, disconnect the drive.'' Clover/Mac installer can write something over other disk with Windows OS? Can't understand, why some users recommend to disconnect the drive.

Hi Going Bald. Why have to disconnect Windows 10/8.1/7 drive (ssd/hdd), when installling El Capitan? Can I just disable the ports with windows/ntfs drives, before start installation of El Capitan? After instalation, will enable them again and will change boot priority if have to.

Sorry for my english. It's not my native language.
I recommend disconnecting the other drives for the simple reason that it prevents a mistake in formatting the wrong drive. If you are confident you can boot to the installer and select the correct drive to format then it is not an absolute requirement to disconnect or disable any drive.

I've followed suggestions here and nothing seems to work. A few days ago booting was working perfect, I had an option for Windows SSD and Mac OS SSD via Clover boot screen, the after just a few restarts, neither is working, I've lost completely the option for the Windows SDD (now showing the HD storage device) and can't boot into Mac at all. Every failed boot results in multiple boot items to be listed, went into UEFI Shell and edited to remove duplicate entires, but still no luck.
IMG_6584.jpg

IMG_6587.jpg

I've followed suggestions here and nothing seems to work. A few days ago booting was working perfect, I had an option for Windows SSD and Mac OS SSD via Clover boot screen, the after just a few restarts, neither is working, I've lost completely the option for the Windows SDD (now showing the HD storage device) and can't boot into Mac at all. Every failed boot results in multiple boot items to be listed, went into UEFI Shell and edited to remove duplicate entires, but still no luck
Suggest you boot to UEFI, select optimum defaults and do UEFI settings for OS X again. Sounds as if you might have had a CMOS reset and did not know it.

Suggest you boot to UEFI, select optimum defaults and do UEFI settings for OS X again. Sounds as if you might have had a CMOS reset and did not know it.
Apologies (being a nube) do you mean hitting like F12, choose boot option and choose the UEFI OS? I don't see in there where to select the optimum defaults, tks.

Back