Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

Good afternoon.

The truth is that more than a problem, it is a minor inconvenience, which fortunately allowed me to work perfect, but I hate to see it. See if you can give me a little hand and we solve.

We will begin.

Installing clover and windows in UEFI mode. From clover botting perfectly windows and osx, but now comes the downside.

I have a hotswap with 4 discs (3 storage and one hd windows), and where SSD is installed osx.

From clover in the GUI I see only two units (both osx recovery units as non-booting disks, have hidden). Can anyone tell me the reason why the unit is the first windows displayed (left) and osx (right) although the boot is the osx by setting clover?

Thank you in advance.
Possibility exists Clover looks at UEFI/BIOS scan of SATA ports. On board, which ports are Windows / OS X connected?
Check Manual - gives order of ports SATA P0, SATA P1, SATA P2, etc. increment by 1 each additional SATA port from PCH up to 10 ports maximum. If Windows drive on P0 and OS X on drive P1, Windows shows in list of icons on Clover screen first (left most icon).

Thank you for the reply.

I don't think thay it will be the reason.

P0= dvd/BR player
P1= SSD Osx system
P2= Hdd 1 Tb storage
P3= Hdd 1 Tb Storage
p4= hdd 1 tb Storage
p5= Hdd Windows drive

Sincerly I don't remember when was the change, but I remember that the first Icon was osx and then windows icon.

It could be the reason that I had hidden the other drives?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

I don't think thay it will be the reason.

P0= dvd/BR player
P1= SSD Osx system
P2= Hdd 1 Tb storage
P3= Hdd 1 Tb Storage
p4= hdd 1 tb Storage
p5= Hdd Windows drive

Sincerly I don't remember when was the change, but I remember that the first Icon was osx and then windows icon.

It could be the reason that I had hidden the other drives?
Possibly - I do not know enough about Clover code to say for sure.

Thanks for all.

I hope that some gurus of the forum could say something about it.

My knowledge is enough like you about clover. I will be more happy if I will have more knowledge about it.

Hi, I have a basic (i.e. Noob) question about efi. I'm a couple of weeks out from building my first hack and am working through the installation details. I plan to have OS X on one ssd and Windows on another. From what I gather / guess OS X does an efi installation by default, so when you use disk utility to make a single guid / macos extended partition it's actually also making an efi partition.

Im assuming that I only need an efi partition on one drive not both. Does it matter which drive has it? OS X is never going away but Windows might someday in which case would I want the efi partition on the Mac drive so if I turn the Windows drive into a data drive everything will still boot correctly?

Thanks,

G

Hi

Deleted second partition on my drive leaving the EFI partition

Tried changing storage boot option control from Legacy to uefi and CSM off/on and all combinations but it just keeps saying "disk is of the gpt partitions style" and refuses to install!!

Anyone help please?

Hi

Deleted second partition on my drive leaving the EFI partition

Tried changing storage boot option control from Legacy to uefi and CSM off/on and all combinations but it just keeps saying "disk is of the gpt partitions style" and refuses to install!!

Anyone help please?
This is telling you that your Windows installer was made for Legacy Mode installation only. Create a new USB Windows installer and make sure it contains both Legacy and UEFI by using the Windows media creator or make a UEFI only installer using Rufus.
Either way will work.

Many thanks Going Bald - I was just beginning to realise this when I received your reply - after reading another of your threads whereby you were trying to explain this to another user ( and it wasn't sinking in so you gracefully bowed out! )

Spent 2 months getting my hack working and this was final thing getting to dual boot, however I have the OS X side to do all over again on release day of Mac OS Sierra on the 20th. This is because I have purchased a gigabyte RX 460 and have been working on hd 530 up to now.

I figured a clean install on that day would be wise even though a lot of work, and would consider what I've done up to now as not wasted just "training" for the main event.

Only thing I didn't get was DSDT as my i7 6700k wasn't supported by the script I was using, but that's for another thread, sure I'll get there in the end. Thanks again

Many thanks Going Bald - I was just beginning to realise this when I received your reply - after reading another of your threads whereby you were trying to explain this to another user ( and it wasn't sinking in so you gracefully bowed out! )

Spent 2 months getting my hack working and this was final thing getting to dual boot, however I have the OS X side to do all over again on release day of Mac OS Sierra on the 20th. This is because I have purchased a gigabyte RX 460 and have been working on hd 530 up to now.

I figured a clean install on that day would be wise even though a lot of work, and would consider what I've done up to now as not wasted just "training" for the main event.

Only thing I didn't get was DSDT as my i7 6700k wasn't supported by the script I was using, but that's for another thread, sure I'll get there in the end. Thanks again
To get your ACPI tables, DSDT, SSDTs etc at the Clover screen hit F4 (or maybe fn+F4) and Clover dumps them in the Clover/ACPI/orig folder.

To get your ACPI tables, DSDT, SSDTs etc at the Clover screen hit F4 (or maybe fn+F4) and Clover dumps them in the Clover/ACPI/orig folder.
That's a great help and something I was unaware of - really appreciate it thank you

Back