Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

It's possible that Windows could have written over the HS drive's EFI partition. Try checking that to see if it's intact. If the HS drive was connected when you installed Windows that can happen. Even then you still won't be able to use a 1080 Ti with HS. Without web drivers it's not going to work.
No, it wasn't connected, I plugged everything back after the Windows install
Everyone I've seen here with a 1060/70/80 has said the exact same thing. "It was working fine for years. Tried to boot into HS today and got a black screen." It's a global hackintosher's lament.
I see...reading the other topic, it looks like most of the nvidia failure happened before mine, but I'll try troubleshooting with the methods explained there

Hi,

I'd like to dual-boot my Hackintosh for macOS and Windows. My hack is running Clover (5118), which was the latest version available at the time I built it back in 2020.

I've got 4 internal disks, one is a 500 GB NVMe with macOS 10.15.4 installed on it, and one is a 240GB SSD with another bootable copy of OSx on it. I'd like to repurpose the SSD to be a Windows bootable disk and keep OSx on the NVMe. The other disks are SATA HDs, both Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and just used for data.

I'm wondering how close my system might already be to ready for me to attempt this, and if I can follow the procedures on this thread to get where I'd like to go with this system. It seems the disk numbers matter for how this works. What I've got currently when I open Disk Utility is this:

Disk 0 is an 8TB SATA HD with one partition
Disk 1 is my 500GB NVMe that I normally boot 10.15.4 from. It's got a container (Disk4) with two partitions on it
Disk 2 is a 4TB SATA HD with one partition
Disk 3 is my 240GB SSD that's currently also configured to boot OSx. It's got a container (Disk5) with two partitions on it, similar to Disk1. I'd be fine with reformatting this to be whatever it needs to be.

My Clover configuration has collected a bunch of stuff in it that either doesn't work or I just don't know what it's there for. I think this is a result of my building, and re-building, this system. There are currently 11 icons when I get to the clover boot screen, only two of which actually seem to be able to boot the system. If I'm going to be working on dual-booting my system I might want to take some time to clean this part up, but I'm not sure what it's all there for and don't want to break anything. This part may be a whole other topic I should take to another thread, but it seems like it may be relevant to getting a nice clean dual-boot system.

If it matters, here's what I see on my clover boot screen. Note, the default boot is the 11th (last) icon, and the other bootable icon (for the SSD) is the 5th from the left.

From left to right
  • macOS (APFS): Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
  • macOS (APFS): Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot
  • (gray apple logo with First Aid icon): Boot Recovery from Recovery
  • macOS (APFS): Boot macOS from SDSSD240
  • macOS (APFS): Boot macOS from WDS500
FYI - the system I'm working on is "Flaky" in my signature.

Hi,

I'd like to dual-boot my Hackintosh for macOS and Windows. My hack is running Clover (5118), which was the latest version available at the time I built it back in 2020.

I've got 4 internal disks, one is a 500 GB NVMe with macOS 10.15.4 installed on it, and one is a 240GB SSD with another bootable copy of OSx on it. I'd like to repurpose the SSD to be a Windows bootable disk and keep OSx on the NVMe. The other disks are SATA HDs, both Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and just used for data.

I'm wondering how close my system might already be to ready for me to attempt this, and if I can follow the procedures on this thread to get where I'd like to go with this system. It seems the disk numbers matter for how this works. What I've got currently when I open Disk Utility is this:

Disk 0 is an 8TB SATA HD with one partition
Disk 1 is my 500GB NVMe that I normally boot 10.15.4 from. It's got a container (Disk4) with two partitions on it
Disk 2 is a 4TB SATA HD with one partition
Disk 3 is my 240GB SSD that's currently also configured to boot OSx. It's got a container (Disk5) with two partitions on it, similar to Disk1. I'd be fine with reformatting this to be whatever it needs to be.

My Clover configuration has collected a bunch of stuff in it that either doesn't work or I just don't know what it's there for. I think this is a result of my building, and re-building, this system. There are currently 11 icons when I get to the clover boot screen, only two of which actually seem to be able to boot the system. If I'm going to be working on dual-booting my system I might want to take some time to clean this part up, but I'm not sure what it's all there for and don't want to break anything. This part may be a whole other topic I should take to another thread, but it seems like it may be relevant to getting a nice clean dual-boot system.

If it matters, here's what I see on my clover boot screen. Note, the default boot is the 11th (last) icon, and the other bootable icon (for the SSD) is the 5th from the left.

From left to right
  • macOS (APFS): Boot macOS from SDSSD240
  • macOS (APFS): Boot macOS from WDS500
FYI - the system I'm working on is "Flaky" in my signature.
Suggest you change from Clover to Open Core boot loader. Before doing anything else make a backup of your system on a USB connected drive and make it bootable.

Thanks, I've been considering moving to Open Core. Seems like that may be the way to go these days - I'll go read up on what I need to do to make that change. no doubt having a bootable backup would be part of it.

Follow-up Questions, if I may.

1. Does your method require OC? I was thinking of changing over anyway, but I'd like to know if this is the case.
2. Do I have a potential issue with the order my system is numbering its internal drives?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks, I've been considering moving to Open Core. Seems like that may be the way to go these days - I'll go read up on what I need to do to make that change. no doubt having a bootable backup would be part of it.

Follow-up Questions, if I may.

1. Does your method require OC? I was thinking of changing over anyway, but I'd like to know if this is the case.
2. Do I have a potential issue with the order my system is numbering its internal drives?

Thanks!
Does not require OC, but going forward there is no guarantee that Clover will be upgraded to work with later versions of Mac OS. OC seems to be the way to go for Mac OS 11 and later.

Last edited:
Does not require OC, but going forward there is no guarantee that Clover will be upgraded to work with later versions of Mac OS. OC seems to be the way to go for Mac OS 11 and later.
Thanks, GB!

I'm about to start this adventure. Just re-flashed my mobo bios to the latest version and configured it to optimized settings. Have the OC install USB with 12.6 ready to go (followed Dortania's very detailed guide, making copious notes along the way for each choice). I *think* I'm ready. I'm backing up my boot drive now, though I'm planning on a clean install of 12.6.

The system is currently booting fine into 10.15.4 with the updated bios and default "optimized" settings. I figure if those BIOS settings work with my HW and 10.15.4, then they'll likely work with OC and 12.6.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks, GB!

I'm about to start this adventure. Just re-flashed my mobo bios to the latest version and configured it to optimized settings. Have the OC install USB with 12.6 ready to go (followed Dortania's very detailed guide, making copious notes along the way for each choice). I *think* I'm ready. I'm backing up my boot drive now, though I'm planning on a clean install of 12.6.

The system is currently booting fine into 10.15.4 with the updated bios and default "optimized" settings. I figure if those BIOS settings work with my HW and 10.15.4, then they'll likely work with OC and 12.6.

Fingers crossed!
Good Luck!:thumbup:

No luck...

May I ask OC install questions here? Or is there a better place I should take them?

Successes so far:
Built OC install USB using debug versions for OC and all my kexts.
Reflashed mobo FW to the latest version (Z390APRW.F12, 2021/11/29)
Updated to "optimized" settings
Reset NVRAM via config.plist (Misc -> Security -> AllowNvramReset -> True) and OC ClearNvram feature
Able to get to the OC picker and choose USB with Install macOS Monterey
Stuck on [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START] (the very first troubleshooting issue under Kernal Issues

I've gone through all the possible issues listed here https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...rnel-issues.html#stuck-on-eb-log-exitbs-start, but so far nothing seems to be wrong and all the trial and error I've done has gotten me no further.

Under Booter Issues, I've tried setting DevirtualiseMmio = True and False. I think it should be True for my Z390, although when I look in my OC log I don't see any "OCABC: Mimo..." entries. Not even "OCABC: MMIO devirt start". I thought there would be some. I do have two entries in my Booter -> MimoWhitelist; one for "Haswell: SB_RCBA is a 0x4 page memory region, containing SPI_BASE at 0x3800 (SPI_BASE_ADDRESS)", and one for "Generic: PCI root is a 0x1000 page memory region used by some types of firmware"

I've also tried SetupVirtualMap = True and False. I think this one should be True as well for my Z390 mb

I looked at EnableWriteUnprotector, but my settings there match what should be for FW supporting MAT, and my OC log indicates "MAT support is 1" - not surprising for my 2021 FW.

Under Kernel Patch Issues I checked and my setting for AppleXcpmCfgLock (True) and AppleCpuPmCfgLock (False) make sense for my Coffee Lake CPU, so I didn't mess with these.

I'm not using Big Sur, and I am getting to both of my display screens, and also not seeing a "max_cpus_from_firmware not yet initialized" message, so I don't think I'd need AvoidRuntimeDefrag = True.

Under UEFI Issues, my ProvideConsoleGop = True since I'm using OC 0.8.5

Confused...

Last edited:
No luck...

May I ask OC install questions here? Or is there a better place I should take them?

Successes so far:
Built OC install USB using debug versions for OC and all my kexts.
Reflashed mobo FW to the latest version (Z390APRW.F12, 2021/11/29)
Updated to "optimized" settings
Reset NVRAM via config.plist (Misc -> Security -> AllowNvramReset -> True) and OC ClearNvram feature
Able to get to the OC picker and choose USB with Install macOS Monterey
Stuck on [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START] (the very first troubleshooting issue under Kernal Issues

I've gone through all the possible issues listed here https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...rnel-issues.html#stuck-on-eb-log-exitbs-start, but so far nothing seems to be wrong and all the trial and error I've done has gotten me no further.

Under Booter Issues, I've tried setting DevirtualiseMmio = True and False. I think it should be True for my Z390, although when I look in my OC log I don't see any "OCABC: Mimo..." entries. Not even "OCABC: MMIO devirt start". I thought there would be some. I do have two entries in my Booter -> MimoWhitelist; one for "Haswell: SB_RCBA is a 0x4 page memory region, containing SPI_BASE at 0x3800 (SPI_BASE_ADDRESS)", and one for "Generic: PCI root is a 0x1000 page memory region used by some types of firmware"

I've also tried SetupVirtualMap = True and False. I think this one should be True as well for my Z390 mb

I looked at EnableWriteUnprotector, but my settings there match what should be for FW supporting MAT, and my OC log indicates "MAT support is 1" - not surprising for my 2021 FW.

Under Kernel Patch Issues I checked and my setting for AppleXcpmCfgLock (True) and AppleCpuPmCfgLock (False) make sense for my Coffee Lake CPU, so I didn't mess with these.

I'm not using Big Sur, and I am getting to both of my display screens, and also not seeing a "max_cpus_from_firmware not yet initialized" message, so I don't think I'd need AvoidRuntimeDefrag = True.

Under UEFI Issues, my ProvideConsoleGop = True since I'm using OC 0.8.5

Confused...
Take a look at Casey S J's build. It is similar to yours and he has a detailed explanation of how he got his working.

Thanks GB. I looked there but was somewhat intimidated by 3665 pages on that thread - a lot to search! I may go back, but in the mean time I did manage to get a little further on my own.

Digging around a bit more I noticed the https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/kaslr-fix.html#prepping-the-bios section and took a look there. Freeing up some ram with the following BIOS changes got me unstuck, at least for quite a ways.

CSM Support: [Enabled] -> [Disabled]
Above 4G Decoding: [Disabled] -> [Enabled]
Software Guard Extensions (SGX): [Software Controlled] -> [Disabled]
LEDs in System Power On State: [On] -> [Off]
Legacy USB Support: [Enabled] -> [Disabled]
Internal Graphics: [Auto] -> [Disabled]

Given that the previous settings worked when booting 10.15.4 with Clover, I'd guess that the Monterey install just needs more RAM space and so was sensitive to this where Catalina wasn't.

That got me through a series of five reboots, where all needed to boot from the OC Monterey install USB to the OC picker.

1. Install macOS Monterey (option 3 for me)
2. macOS Monterey (option 4 for me)
3. macOS Monterey (option 4 for me)
4. macOS Monterey (option 4 for me)
5. WSD500 (option 4, again - this time to boot Monterey for Post Install stuff)

The first time through, like a n00b, I just did the install over my previous copy of 10.15.4 on WDS500. That got it to boot up to a Monterey login screen on boot 5 above with my user name, but it hung after that because I hadn't cleared out the Clover crap from S/L/E and L/E.

The second time through, I opted to erase WDS500 using Disk Utility from the Monterey installer prior to installing. Clean sheet, can't go wrong with that, right?

That got me to the Monterey post install where I found I would freeze at about 30s into it. On the plus side it was seeing my wifi card and network! On the minus side, no matter what I did I couldn't get far before it would freeze.

Turning back to the troubleshooting guide again I found that, although I didn't have a NullCPUPowerManagement kext to remove, I did see Kernel -> Force -> Emulate was set to False, so I switched that to True and gave it another go.

Now it seems I get even less far, and I get stuck with the Apple logo and the progress bar a bit more than 1/2 across. Is this possibly the https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...e-issues.html#macos-frozen-right-before-login issue? I'm running a Coffee Lake CPU on a fairly modern MB with 2021 FW, so it seems unlikely, but maybe?

Back