Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

Motherboard
ASUS Prime b365M-A
CPU
i5-9600k
Graphics
RX580
Disconnect the macOS drive first before doing this.

Ok, yes that's what I thought. But then it should work fine using BIOS bootloader? It seems easier to me, although the aesthetic factor definitely wins for Clover. Thank you!

One other question, if that second drive I want to do 2 partitions (one for windows say 250gb, and another 750gb for a "storage" drive that can be used by both the Windows and MacOS drive) what would your recommendation be and if I do it this way, would MacOS still see the Windows drive or do I have to do it through clover for that to happen?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z470 Vision G
CPU
I9-10850k
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. iMac
  3. LC
  4. Performa
  5. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have read through a lot of pages and didn't really see the answer to this question.

Can I have 2 drives:
1. MacOS Catalina (already installed and working) with clover bootloader.
2. Windows 10

Just install Windows 10 by selecting the bios bootloader, select the win 10 usb, install to clean 2nd drive.

Then just use the bios bootloader to select the windows drive when I want it and not even use clover to boot windows?
Yes you can have MacOS and Windows on separate drives.

1) Unplug all but your Windows Drive
2) Install WINDOWS
3) Unplug Windows Drive
4) Plug in your Macintosh Drive
5) Install Catalina using https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.285366/
6) Once Macintosh is up and running, plug in your windows drive.
7) Reboot and enter bios.
8) Select the Macintosh Drive as boot Volume (I have Windows as secondary boot (in case something goes wrong with Mac))
9) Reboot, pick volume you want to boot, enjoy.

Motherboard
ASUS Prime b365M-A
CPU
i5-9600k
Graphics
RX580
Yes you can have MacOS and Windows on separate drives.

1) Unplug all but your Windows Drive
2) Install WINDOWS
3) Unplug Windows Drive
4) Plug in your Macintosh Drive
5) Install Catalina using https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.285366/
6) Once Macintosh is up and running, plug in your windows drive.
7) Reboot and enter bios.
8) Select the Macintosh Drive as boot Volume (I have Windows as secondary boot (in case something goes wrong with Mac))
9) Reboot, pick volume you want to boot, enjoy.

Awesome, thanks. That's what I thought but just wanted to confirm before I mess up my already perfect Catalina install!

Motherboard
Lenovo U410 i7
CPU
i7-3537U
Graphics
HD 4000
Disconnect the macOS drive first before doing this.
Hi, can i just clarify with you, If i wanted to install Windows on a already working single boot hack (on osx 10.12.6) are these the correct steps to take;

-Unplug osx drive (leave windows drive connected)
-boot into Macos install setup via the clover USB drive.
-via disc utilitiy, format the 'Windows drive' to GUID/MacOS Extended (Journaled). Reboot.
-Reboot into windows 10 install usb with 'UEFI USB: Win10Installer' (Not 'USB: Win10Installer').
-Select custom install, delete only the 'GUID/MacOS Extended' partition (not the EFI Partition).
-install windows on the free partition (previously the GUID/MacOS Extended partition). Reboot.
-In the BIOS, disable CSM.
-Reconnect osx drive. Done?

I just want to be safe before attempting this as i rely on my Hack for work at the moment.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, can i just clarify with you, If i wanted to install Windows on a already working single boot hack
Windows on it's own drive or on the 12.6 drive ? If Windows on a separate drive you don't need this step.

boot into Macos install setup via the clover USB drive.
-via disc utilitiy, format the 'Windows drive' to GUID/MacOS Extended (Journaled). Reboot.

Motherboard
Lenovo U410 i7
CPU
i7-3537U
Graphics
HD 4000
Windows on it's own drive or on the 12.6 drive ? If Windows on a separate drive you don't need this step.
Ah okay. Yes windows will be on a separate drive. In this case, i wont be needing the Clover/MacOS install USB at all? I can just go ahead and disconnect the Osx drive and just install windows on the the second drive and it will show up in Clover bootloader?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Motherboard
AsRock Z490 ITX/TB3
CPU
Intel I7-10700K
Graphics
Asus 5800XT
I am trying to put together a multiboot system (macOS Big Sur, Windows 10, and Ubuntu). I have all three on separate SSDs and only had one SSD connected at a time during the installations.

First, I installed macOS with OpenCore on the macOS SSD.
Second, I installed Windows 10 at UEFI-GPT on a second SSD. Everything works fine up to then.
Third, I installed Ubuntu on a third SSD. I made the installer with Rufus and selected UEFI and GPT. I had two options for the drive format in Rufus - FAT32 and NTFS. I chose FAT32, the default. When I booted into the Linux installer, I deleted all partitions visible partitions and installed Linux on the sole partition. It appeared to install fine.

When I boot up in OpenCore, I have macOS, Windows 10, Untitled, and Reset NVRAM. "Untitled" is my Linux drive. macOS and Windows boot and operate fine. When I select Linux, I received a black screen with the following text:

System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults.
Could not read \EFI\: Invalid Parameter
Error: could not find boot options: Invalid Parameter
start_image() returned Invalid Parameter
OC: Boot Failed - Invalid Parameter
OCB: StartImage failed - Invalid Parameter

The system then goes back to the OpenCore picker. If I select Reset NVRAM, it then boots into Linux just fine. But it resets my boot order in the BIOS, putting Linux first.

My question is - have it installed it properly? Why I am getting this message and why is it not booting properly into Linux? Something tells me I failed to install Linux properly with EFI. Should I have set up partitions differently on the initial Linux install? Is there any way to rectify this? I would rather do a fresh install if it means I have to remove my other drives again - they are M2 drives on the front and back of the mobo and it would involve removing the cooler and fans.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    397.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7 4970S
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
I am trying to put together a multiboot system (macOS Big Sur, Windows 10, and Ubuntu). I have all three on separate SSDs and only had one SSD connected at a time during the installations.

First, I installed macOS with OpenCore on the macOS SSD.
Second, I installed Windows 10 at UEFI-GPT on a second SSD. Everything works fine up to then.
Third, I installed Ubuntu on a third SSD. I made the installer with Rufus and selected UEFI and GPT. I had two options for the drive format in Rufus - FAT32 and NTFS. I chose FAT32, the default. When I booted into the Linux installer, I deleted all partitions visible partitions and installed Linux on the sole partition. It appeared to install fine.

When I boot up in OpenCore, I have macOS, Windows 10, Untitled, and Reset NVRAM. "Untitled" is my Linux drive. macOS and Windows boot and operate fine. When I select Linux, I received a black screen with the following text:

System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults.
Could not read \EFI\: Invalid Parameter
Error: could not find boot options: Invalid Parameter
start_image() returned Invalid Parameter
OC: Boot Failed - Invalid Parameter
OCB: StartImage failed - Invalid Parameter

The system then goes back to the OpenCore picker. If I select Reset NVRAM, it then boots into Linux just fine. But it resets my boot order in the BIOS, putting Linux first.

My question is - have it installed it properly? Why I am getting this message and why is it not booting properly into Linux? Something tells me I failed to install Linux properly with EFI. Should I have set up partitions differently on the initial Linux install? Is there any way to rectify this? I would rather do a fresh install if it means I have to remove my other drives again - they are M2 drives on the front and back of the mobo and it would involve removing the cooler and fans.
This can help