Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

Update: I got both drives to boot now. I had to create a new Windows10 USB in order to boot UEFI for windows. The bootcamp formatted USB does not, even though it is shown on many other guides for how to create a UEFI windows boot drive on a Mac.

This may seem like a dumb question I'm new to the windows world, but how do I tell if my USB has both the UEFI and Legacy installers? This is what it shows when I plug in and open my Win10 USB.
View attachment 377275

you have both bootmgr (legacy) and bootmgr.efi (UEFI) icons, so you have both and can install either way.

Hi. Is there a guide here that explains how to install High Sierra and Win 10 on separate SSDs, and then use Parallels to run both OSs simultaneously? I'm a bit daft - I'm assuming that basic dual boot just gives you the option of booting either one or the other, but not both at the same time. Thanks.

Hi. Is there a guide here that explains how to install High Sierra and Win 10 on separate SSDs, and then use Parallels to run both OSs simultaneously? I'm a bit daft - I'm assuming that basic dual boot just gives you the option of booting either one or the other, but not both at the same time. Thanks.
for installing on separate drives see the pinned guide at the start of this forum.
For running parallels, see the Parallels Wiki and instructions.

Hi there,

This is my second attempt at installing Linux Mint alongside Win10 and High Sierra this time with Linux Mint 19.1. I followed the steps to add the boot entry to the OSX EFI partition when installing Linux and the install seemed to go fine but Clover can't seem to boot Linux from the Clover menu even though there is an entry for Linux available. If I choose the Linux entry from the Clover boot options it just goes to an apple logo on a grey screen and stays there indefinitely.

Here's what my EFI files look like:

...and here's what I have in my config.plist:

Any ideas as to where I've gone wrong?

Thanks

Hello I currently have windows on my main drive which is UEFI based and want to install OSX onto a second SSD is their a simple way to do this without having to delete the windows 10 from the original drive, I’ve read the tutorial on the first page but it seems a little complicated. I only wish to have OSX to accompany my windows. I have a working usb drive of the OSX with MultiBeast already prepared.

Any advice please and thanks

@Wayne c This depends on your device, you need to update your user info.

Assuming this is a desktop you can remove the windows 10 drive from it , and ONLY install the new drive for OSX. From here you just install OSX on the new drive.

I spent nearly all day creating a System partition on my dedicated windows system drive and successfully transferred over the EFI from the Clover EFI partition. The only issue I have is that I seem to get 2 SYSTEM drives for Windows detected by Clover in the boot menu. If I hide SYSTEM then I also lose my Mac boot drive. Here are the drives displayed on boot:

1. Boot Microsoft EFI Boot from SYSTEM
  2. Boot macOS from Macintosh HD
  3. Boot Windows from SYSTEM
Any idea why that would happen? What is the proper name for the hidden Windows EFI partition? I named my mine SYSTEM as suggested in the online guides.

Also, what is the folder structure supposed to be in the Windows EFI partition? I have /EFI/Microsoft/boot on the SYSTEM drive. Is that correct?

Last edited:
The only issue I have is that I seem to get 2 SYSTEM drives for Windows detected by Clover in the boot menu.

That's because the one labeled "Boot Windows from SYSTEM" is a legacy entry. You can eliminate this by following my instructions in this post. There's no need to hide the partition.

What is the proper name for the hidden Windows EFI partition? I named my mine SYSTEM as suggested in the online guides.

It's just called EFI that's standard and I didn't see anything in the guide recommending naming it SYSTEM.

Also, what is the folder structure supposed to be in the Windows EFI partition? I have /EFI/Microsoft/boot on the SYSTEM drive. Is that correct?

Yes that's correct and that is standard as well.

Hello added details in section

But computer is

Dell 3060 MFF
I5-8500T
MB is dell 0NV0M7
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Thanks

Back