Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

Any ideas?
UEFI boot is deterministic. If Windows has an entry in the boot menu and Clover does not, the firmware shouldn't be booting Clover from /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI on an internal disk as part of this deterministic logic. That is the expected behaviour anyway. But the implementations are different. Sounds like your firmware will boot from /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI if you fiddle with the menus. A more fruitful way might be to add a Clover entry (that points to /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI) to the EFI boot menu and order THAT to be first in the boot order. UEFI booting

Last edited:
What is causing this? How can booting Windows change the boot order?
The UEFI spec specifies that /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI is only to be used on INTERNAL disks when there are no vendor entries in the boot menu. Looking at your image you can see the only vendor entry is 'Microsoft Boot Manager'. Those other entries could be anything, likely they are BIOS Boot Specification device paths. Try to add the equivalent to the 'Windows Boot Manager' -> /EFI/MICROSOFT/BOOT/BOOTMGFW.EFI entry for 'Clover' -> /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI.

Adding the entry: efibootmgr/Linux - see 'Dual Boot Windows UEFI' section in this guide near the end of post#2 - or if you have windows installed you can use EasyUEFI (search the internet for a free download of version 1.7)

How can booting Windows change the boot order? You might as well be asking why does booting Clover work at all without a proper entry, follow the spec and it should all work as expected. You would think.

Last edited:
Maybe this link can also help you to get further informations :
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.ph...Firmware_Interface#Windows_changes_boot_order
It looks like your issue with dual boot
Workarounds are going from easy Windows setup (fast strartup disabling..) to more complex use of efibootmgr in case windows boot loader overwrtite your UEFI path
The information in that section not accurate regarding a 'default EFI path'. While Windows may well overwrite /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI on an internal disk during installation, it isn't supposed to be used for booting anyway - unless Windows (or Clover if the entry had been created) loses its 'Windows Boot Manager' entry in the firmware menu e.g. after a CMOS reset. Not to be confused with /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI on removable disks where it is the ONLY path that gets used for booting.

I want to install High sierra on my pc which already has windows 10 installed.
I'll be using macOS only sometimes and not always so i was wondering if i could run windows as normal and mac os using clover whenever needed and if i can just remove the macOS HDD till it is needed and plug it in when i need to.

I want to install High sierra on my pc which already has windows 10 installed.
I'll be using macOS only sometimes and not always so i was wondering if i could run windows as normal and mac os using clover whenever needed and if i can just remove the macOS HDD till it is needed and plug it in when i need to.
If you install on separate SSD/HDD, then you can leave it connected. To make sure Windows does not touch it, you can boot to UEFI/BIOS and disable the Mac SSD SATA port. Then when you want to boot Mac, boot to BIOS, disable the Win10 SATA port/enable the Mac port, save&exit continue boot to Mac OS. Reverse steps to boot Win10.

If you install on separate SSD/HDD, then you can leave it connected. To make sure Windows does not touch it, you can boot to UEFI/BIOS and disable the Mac SSD SATA port. Then when you want to boot Mac, boot to BIOS, disable the Win10 SATA port/enable the Mac port, save&exit continue boot to Mac OS. Reverse steps to boot Win10.
Also whenever i boot into windows by setting sata to ahci it doesnt boot i have to set it to ide to boot. Please suggest a fix

Also whenever i boot into windows by setting sata to ahci it doesnt boot i have to set it to ide to boot. Please suggest a fix
What version of Windows?

For Win10:
Connect a drive, insert OS X Install USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device. Select the OS X Install USB. At the installation screen, select Utilities->Disk Utility and format the drive single partition GUID/Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When done, exit Disk Utility. Quit the OS X installer.
Remove the OS X Install USB and insert the Win10 USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device.
Windows shows up as USB: Win10Installer (or whatever you named the USB) and as UEFI USB: Win10Installer.
Select the UEFI USB: Win10Installer and boot the system.
At the installation screen, select Custom Install. At the next screen select the OS X partition and delete it - do not delete the EFI partition. With the resulting free space hi-lited, install Windows to the space. The installer will create and format the partitions for you. When finished, update and install your 3rd party apps and security suite. Reboot to BIOS/UEFI and disable CSM. Save&exit, continue boot to desktop. Shut down, disconnect the drive.

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to do so with OSX already installed

I'm trying to create a win10 partition on another SSD than the one where my El Capitan is installed.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to do so with OSX already installed

I'm trying to create a win10 partition on another SSD than the one where my El Capitan is installed.

Thanks
It is my understanding that it is infact possible, however I am having trouble getting the USB to be bootable, might just have to go to the store and get an optical to burn the Image. See the first post of this thread for instructions (note: you will disconnect your Mac drive and leave the to be Windows SSD connected.

Back