Contribute
Register

[Guide] MultiBooting for the novice. Updated 3/12 see log

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 more query, I know I need to fix the time sync issue with the Registry Edit. Is there any other fixes that need to be done? I feel like I read a guide somewhere that listed a few fixes that needed to be done......

Not that I am aware of - you have ML installed, you are now able to choose between OS X and Win7 to boot, I would think you have all the drivers for Win7 installed and a good security suite installed, Win7 updated until it says there are no more available, OS X updated, audio and networking work, sleep tested and working? speedstepping working? Mic and headphones working? Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Thanks Very Impresive Guide its the light to many guy in the forum

I got problem when try to create 4 partition used Disk Utility, I installed Macosx 1st then win7, all processes go smoothly

1st Partition for MacOSX: 50GB
2nd for Windows : 100GB
3rd for Data1 : 300GB
4th for Data2: 400GB

Everything went as expected except one: Charmeleon/MacOsx created 2 partition 200MB and 125MB, In Windows, it auto detected 4 partition:

Windows. Data1 and other two. I couldn't see Data 2 partition, THen I went to DIsk Management to format Data2, but then all my Partition is visible include 200/125MB and after that I cannot boot to Mountain Lion anyomre.

How can I avoid that happens, and how can I manage to help my Data 2 partition?

I got problem when try to create 4 partition used Disk Utility, I installed Macosx 1st then win7, all processes go smoothly

1st Partition for MacOSX: 50GB
2nd for Windows : 100GB
3rd for Data1 : 300GB
4th for Data2: 400GB

Everything went as expected except one: Charmeleon/MacOsx created 2 partition 200MB and 125MB, In Windows, it auto detected 4 partition:

Windows. Data1 and other two. I couldn't see Data 2 partition, THen I went to DIsk Management to format Data2, but then all my Partition is visible include 200/125MB and after that I cannot boot to Mountain Lion anyomre.

How can I avoid that happens, and how can I manage to help my Data 2 partition?

Windows can only see the first 4 partitions (including the EFI partition that doesn't show up in disk utility that disk utility creates by default when formatting the drive.

Suggestion: if you want Win7 to see both Data 1 and Data 2 partitions, format the drive as follows
partition 1 format it for Win7 MSDOS FAT
partition 2 format it however you want, name it Data 1
partition 3 format it however you want, name it Data 2
partition 4 format it Mac OS Extended, Journaled for OS X.

Install Windows on the first partition, reformatting to NTFS with the Win7 installer. update it, install your security suite.
Then install OS X on the 4th partition. update it, run multiBeast to install bootloader, audio and networking, install your apps.

Now either OS can see the Data partitions. If you do a diskutil list in terminal you should see 5 partitions. In windows, you will see 4 partitions and some unallocated space (your OS X partition)
drive 1 partition 1 type EFI should be about 200Mb
drive 1 partition 2 type Fdisk whatever your Win7 partition was sized
drive 1 partition 3 type ? whatever you formatted the Data 1
drive 1 partition 4 type ? whatever you formatted the Data 2
drive 1 partition 5 type GPT OS X

Nice

- - - Updated - - -

Cool!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome!

Thank you for this great guide! I just installed OS X 10.8.4 on an empty HDD and tomorrow I'll attempt to install Ubuntu 13.04 on the same HDD, following your instructions. I hope everything works as planned :) (I have windows installed on a completely different SSD that I unplug during installations of other OSes to avoid any mistakes)

thanks for all the info but why not just use boot camp? can I? what are the pros and cons

i have the same problem but will like to redo the installation. can i re partition my ssd on my macbook?

thanks for all the info but why not just use boot camp? can I? what are the pros and cons

bootcamp does not work with PC-Macs, only with "real" Macs.

i have the same problem but will like to redo the installation. can i re partition my ssd on my macbook?

Instaling Windows on a MacBook, use the Bootcamp Assistant. You don't want to use PC-Mac tools and procedures on a "real" Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back