Contribute
Register

[Guide] MultiBooting for the novice. Updated 3/12 see log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Guide] MultiBooting for the novice.

z3u4r5dok said:
I di everything as suggested
After typed this
sudo gptsync /dev/sda and hit enter

this what I got

Current GPT partition table:
# Start LBA End LBA Type
1 40 409639 EFI System (FAT)
2 409640 156659639 Mac OS X HFS+
3 156921856 352233471 Basic Data
4 352233472 372233472 Basic Data
5 372233473 384233473 Linux Swap
6 384233474 404233474 Basic Data
7 404233475 444233475 Basic Data
8 444233476 625141679 Basic Data

Current MBR partition table:
# A Start LBA End LBA Type
1 1 409639 ee EFI Protective
2 409640 156659639 af Mac OS X HFS+
3 * 156921856 352233471 07 NTFS/HPFS
4 352233472 372233472 83 Linux

I exit the terminal reboot with no discs

Unfortunately at the end I am not able to see the chameleon screen will not appear,
I hit a key don't get to see instant menu either.
What I did wrong??? Please help

Thanks a lot
Boot with iBoot, select OS X to boot. At desktop, re-install Chimera. Reboot.

Please post your questions in the Installation Support forum or the General Tuning forum. I will not be returning to look at this posting in this forum.

Thanks.

I just did what suggested this is what I got. and also I am able to boot to nay os without any disc from this purple screen but I'd like to boot from chameleon.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 392

z3u4r5dok said:
I just did what suggested this is what I got. and also I am able to boot to nay os without any disc from this purple screen but I'd like to boot from chameleon.

Thanks

Going Bald said:
Please post your questions in the Installation Support forum or the General Tuning forum. I will not be returning to look at this posting in this forum.

Thanks.

Thank you for the guide. I finally installed my Window7. But I have one problem.
I installed Chimera but whenever I reboot, it goes to Window7 booting directly without asking me any options.
I installed OSX first in a normal drive and I installed W7 in separate Solid State Drive. Is it because SSD is faster than normal drive?

In your guide at 2C, I didn't get the same disc number and partition number. I thought it should be because I am not making any partition. Other than that, everything was pretty clear and now I cannot get the chimera window while booting.

Any advice?

Thank you.

I tried by myself in the CMOS setup and there was a place where you can choose primary bbs drive. I don't know what it means exactly but it seems like prioritize HD you have. I set up my hdd with OSX as a primary and sdd with W7 secondary. Now when I boot, it goes directly to OSX but still it does not show me the chimera window where I can choose either OSX or Window. Anyone has an idea what I have to do?

Thank you.

On the chimera bootscreen hit any key.
On your desktop again, run Multibeast and do this (only if you'll always have the boot menu)

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2011-06-19 um 17.01.44.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2011-06-19 um 17.01.44.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 297

karacho said:
On the chimera bootscreen hit any key.
On your desktop again, run Multibeast and do this (only if you'll always have the boot menu)

Thank you for your help. I tried like you told me. And I was stupid. My chimera was already installed but I didn't know I should click any key to be able to see the options for multi booting. But I wanted to try what you suggested so that I can always see the multi booting option. However, it was not good because my wireless keyboard is not working when it is in chimera mode. So I decided keeping as it was so that botting goes to OSX automatically so that I can still use my wireless keyboard and magic mouse. And whenever I need to boot to W7, I would connect my wire keyboard and click to activate the chimera main screen..

Thank you for your help again.

Quick question about dual booting after a week of experience of my new machine.

When I activate Chimera, it asks me three options.
OSx, System reserved, and Window. Interestingly, I can boot with window but I can only boot window when I click System reserved. Another thing that I found is that my separate SSD (64gb) has only 13 gb free out of 64gb although I installed only window7 which is about 19gb size total in my C drive. Do you think it is a problem? Is that separate options, System reserved and Window, made my SDD smaller? I think I did exactly what I read in the install guide.

One more question about drive recognition. Seems like I can see window SDD when I boot to OSX, but I don't see OSX HDD when I boot to Window7.

Please advise me if you had similar problem.

Thank you.

Im a big noob and i understand everything except, what if i have my windows 7 on my current hard drive with my data and i want to OSx on my new HDD, can i multiboot still? or do i have to wipe all my info from main HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back