Contribute
Register

Guide: Multi Booting Legacy on Separate Drives

List names of Windows icons at the Clover selection screen

This pic is representative of what I get at boot m8.
dual boot.jpeg

Have recreated a brand new Windows 10 installation after formatting the SSD once again.
Boots perfectly fine from the Windows 10 SSD but again stuck when trying to boot from
the clover drive where my High Sierra is located.

This time, when I try to boot in to windows I simply get a windows icon popping up
in clover but no boot occurs.

The actual boot selections I get now are named:

1. Boot Windows from Legacy HD1
2. Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
3. Boot macOS from High Sierra
4. Boot Recovery from Recovery

Have recreated a brand new Windows 10 installation after formatting the SSD once again.
Boots perfectly fine from the Windows 10 SSD but again stuck when trying to boot from
the clover drive where my High Sierra is located.

This time, when I try to boot in to windows I simply get a windows icon popping up
in clover but no boot occurs.

The actual boot selections I get now are named:

1. Boot Windows from Legacy HD1
2. Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
3. Boot macOS from High Sierra
4. Boot Recovery from Recovery
You are installing Win10 is Legacy Mode. Install UEFI Mode.

I have High Sierra installed on primary drive, and Windows 10 64 bit installed on a second drive. Dual boot works fine from Clover boot menu for past few weeks. Using legacy BIOS mode (Not UEFI).

Yesterday, I replaced Windows 10 with its 32 bit edition, and I've been witnessing intermittent startup issues with Windows 10. Some times it boots fine. Other times, I can't bring up the password entry box for Windows because the USB sockets don't appear to be initialised (confirmed by subsequently checking Event Log).

After performing numerous tests, I have so far concluded the Windows boot issues only seem occur when launching 32 bit Windows from Clover boot menu.

I understand Clover is 64 bit. Does anyone know if it can be reliably used to launch 32 bit OS such as Windows 10 ?

I can work around this issue simply by making the Windows disk the boot device, and use F12 to select alternative boot drive when I want to launch Clover/macOS.

Last edited:
Sorry for interrupt, Lately i installed 10.14 Mojave on my system z68xp-UD3 which is a legacy bios Board, i follow the guide, but when i select windows on clover bootloader , it give me disk read error, the problem only occurred when i install Clover into the ESP partition, if i install clover into the boot partition the windows disk read error would not occurred, Sadly the ability to install clover in booting volume is absent in Mac OS Mojave, so i have no choice but to install clover into ESP. Are there any workaround to this problem? i don't want to install windows in UEFI mode since my mobo doesn't support UEFI.

Sorry for interrupt, Lately i installed 10.14 Mojave on my system z68xp-UD3 which is a legacy bios Board, i follow the guide, but when i select windows on clover bootloader , it give me disk read error, the problem only occurred when i install Clover into the ESP partition, if i install clover into the boot partition the windows disk read error would not occurred, Sadly the ability to install clover in booting volume is absent in Mac OS Mojave, so i have no choice but to install clover into ESP. Are there any workaround to this problem? i don't want to install windows in UEFI mode since my mobo doesn't support UEFI.
Download latest Clover from Sourceforge. This version allows you to install to root rather than to ESP (default Legacy mode is install to root).

First of all, thank you very much for the guide, it helped me a lot!

Here is a weird thing that happened however, post installation:
I left computer running Windows downloading some software, and the I came back few hours later, clover boot loader was open. Selecting MacOS works fine, however selecting Windows drive gives such error:
"the file is possibly corrupt. the file header checksum does not match the computed checksum"

When I have unplugged the MacOS hdd, and left the windows drive as the only one, Windows booted without any issues...
Any ideas how to fix that?

First of all, thank you very much for the guide, it helped me a lot!

Here is a weird thing that happened however, post installation:
I left computer running Windows downloading some software, and the I came back few hours later, clover boot loader was open. Selecting MacOS works fine, however selecting Windows drive gives such error:
"the file is possibly corrupt. the file header checksum does not match the computed checksum"

When I have unplugged the MacOS hdd, and left the windows drive as the only one, Windows booted without any issues...
Any ideas how to fix that?
When updating Windows unattended you need to disconnect all other drives or boot to BIOS/UEFI and make the Win drive the default boot drive and disable the ports for the other drives. Otherwise the Windows update chokes when it needs to reboot more than once.

When updating Windows unattended you need to disconnect all other drives or boot to BIOS/UEFI and make the Win drive the default boot drive and disable the ports for the other drives. Otherwise the Windows update chokes when it needs to reboot more than once.

I understand that. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough: I was downloading some additional software to be installed on windows..
Anyway, the issue is that I can't boot to windows with Mac OS drive connected, only when I disconnect it, windows boots no problem. So in a result, I can't use multi boot from clover.

I understand that. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough: I was downloading some additional software to be installed on windows..
Anyway, the issue is that I can't boot to windows with Mac OS drive connected, only when I disconnect it, windows boots no problem. So in a result, I can't use multi boot from clover.
See the guide on separate drives pinned at the beginning of this forum.

Back