Contribute
Register

Guide: Multi Booting Legacy on Separate Drives

check to see if you have an EFI folder both on your EFI partition and another in your OS X root.
Sorry for the delay. I have an EFI folder in my EFI partition. In my OS X root I have an "EFI-Backups" folder with several old EFI folders in it (looks like they were put there by Clover installers each time I reinstalled Clover). Do you think they could be causing Windows to not boot at first?

Sorry for the delay. I have an EFI folder in my EFI partition. In my OS X root I have an "EFI-Backups" folder with several old EFI folders in it (looks like they were put there by Clover installers each time I reinstalled Clover). Do you think they could be causing Windows to not boot at first?
As long as it is not just "EFI" folder in root you are OK. Sometimes having one in EFI partition and one in root with config.plist in both and BIOS/UEFI having CSM turned on to enable legacy booting can cause confusion problems which way you want to boot.

can i dual boot on same hdd mac os high sierra and windows 10??

hello i have successfully booted mac os and windows 10 on separate hdd and now windows boots automatically even though i have set hdd priority to the mac os and also from the clover bootloader i cannot boot windows 10.......please help me to fix this.....and also in the efi folder i cannot find microsoft..i have installed mac os and windows in legacy mode.......i have installed windows in mbr and mac os in guid partition map on separate hdd

Clover is able to see the Ubuntu SSD as INTERNAL, but when I select to boot from it, the screen just goes purple and hangs there.

I have installed Ubuntu selecting "Something else" (prior to that used GParted to swap all the partition and create a new msdos (MBR) partition table), created a root Ext3 partition selected "/" as mount and after that I created a 12GB swap partition. Then selected to install bootloader at /dev/sda1 which is the root partition "/".

EDIT:
After some searching, I see that pressing the SHIFT key just before Ubuntu GRUB is about to load, it can popup a menu with selections. I just did that, pressed SHIFT after selected Linux INTERNAL at the Clover menu, got the GRUB menu and after the menu is displayed it hangs there. No keyboard response when I press UP and DOWN arrows nor any other key.

UPDATE:
After a lot of reinstalling and struggling, I managed to boot to Ubuntu from Clover by creating a separate boot partition and using the Boot-repair utility.
Used GParted to create a new msdos partition record.
Initially I've created 2 partitions, one for root and one for swap.
Then installed bootloader to root, was able to boot just using Ubuntu SSD, but not from Clover.
Booted from Ubuntu Live USB and followed this guide to create a new boot partition (I can't remember exactly the GRUB options but I tried some settings).
After it's done restarted (confirmed it's booting on its own) plugged Clover SSD; Linux INTERNAL was there, selected it and finally it booted to Ubuntu!

BUT:
After some updating (I think it was just apt-get update, but maybe and upgrade I'm not sure) and restarting, selecting Linux from Clover again I got a black screen with boot0af: error. Used Ubuntu Live USB again, start Boot Repair, rewriting the bootloader to /boot partition again and I got it working and booting again from Clover. There might be some kernel updating issue I suppose. Anyone has a clue why that happened and how can I avoid it in the future?

Anyway, I have my triple boot finally working!
Thanks again for the great tutorials!

Last edited:
Is it possible to use Windows 7 instead?

Having trouble getting my mac osx drive to boot in to my windows 10 drive fellas.
Have clover installed and easily boots in to my High Sierra drive but each of the windows
icons it sees at boot time simply gives me "ctrl+alt+delete" boot fail message !!

I've uploaded a copy of my plist file and bootlog files so any assistance would be appreciated.
I've renamed my plist file as a txt file "here" as unsure if I'm allowed to upload a plist file directly.

Attachments

• bootlog.log.txt
    19.5 KB · Views: 322
  • config.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 412
Having trouble getting my mac osx drive to boot in to my windows 10 drive fellas.
Have clover installed and easily boots in to my High Sierra drive but each of the windows
icons it sees at boot time simply gives me "ctrl+alt+delete" boot fail message !!

I've uploaded a copy of my plist file and bootlog files so any assistance would be appreciated.
I've renamed my plist file as a txt file "here" as unsure if I'm allowed to upload a plist file directly.
List names of Windows icons at the Clover selection screen

Back