Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] MSI Z270M Mortar Kaby Lake install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bizarre - it was working fine on the beta's - but now its broken. For now I disabled my intel graphics. Mainly as I need final cut to work - explains why yesterday I couldn't export a project in final cut, except by exporting as a DVD, then transcoding it in handbrake (important paypal proof for a seller who shipped a busted laser)

I will investigate and adjust the first post for the GM version of HS.

edit: this is an ongoing issue with shiki/lilu.kext as at 1.2.0 versions. To get hardware accleration of the iGPU, change igplatformid to 0x59120003 if you have a discrete graphics. 0x59120000 for intel only. in the graphics section of your config.plist. The iGPU WILL disappear from the system profiler if you use 0x59120003 but it is still being used. This allowed me to "share" (encode) video in final cut to a master file. VDADecoderChecker will still show an error 12473 or similar. Not sure why. MacX Video Converter says "Hardware Accelleration : YES"

I will fix the guide a bit later.

Last edited:
Many thanks! I was also able to use the 0x59120003 platform id to make hardware acceleration work (with sleep), despite the chipset difference of our motherboards.

Many many thanks for the guide and the files for this setup. I have a very similar config with a Nvidia 1060 instead of the AMD graphics card. After following your guide I installed/enabled the Nvidia web drivers with help I found here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...er-on-high-sierra-black-screen-panics.234390/

After that HDMI audio worked, but audio from the board did not. I needed to update the Apple ALC kext to match the updated Lilu kext needed for the Nvidia card. I followed the rebuild steps here since I tried a few other fixes before this and needed to get back to vanilla:
https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4sil5p/audio_mechanic_old_patchfix_removal_applealc/

With all that done I'm happy to say I believe all is working within 2 days. Fastest Hackintosh ever :)

Thanks for the post. Though I have a slightly different hardware, but after having modified a few lines in config.plist, I was able to boot up the USB drive and sucessfully installed High Sierra on my PC. Of course there were some post-installation problems, but I managed to solve them one by one and everything works perfectly by now.

First thanks for the amazing and detailed post! I must be doing something wrong, because I get as fa as the black Apple boot screen, the bar goes about one quarter of an inch and then the whole system recycles to the clover boot page. Config? I have not installed the 1060 at this point and am using onboard gfx.

Make sure you have FakeSMC.kext, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext and Lilu.kext in your /EFI/CLOVER/Other folder, and ensure they are up to date. Boot with -v to see where the system is rebooting. Since you are installing an Nvidia card you will need to consult another guide to gettting that guy going once you reach the apple desktop. This guide was written with the golden master in mind (infact from before the golden master, when HS was in beta). So the kexts have updated since then as the OS has received updates from Apple.

oops - forgot to ask, are you getting the quarter inch apple progress bar booting from the USB, or from the finished install (booting from the HDD/SSD)?

Also put the attached file (after unzipping) apfs.efi into the /EFI/CLOVER/Drivers64UEFI folder. Problems can arise if the system cannot find the boot disk because the installer erased your disk with the APFS file system. At the time of writing, this version of apfs.efi is for version 10.13.2 (17C88)

Attachments

• apfs.efi.zip
    262.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Well I have followed these instructions to the letter several times, well into the night and the morning and the night again. No luck whatsoever. I should never have settled on the MSI Mortar board and I am convinced I would not have had trouble like this with a Gigabye, however.
I did go back to trying Unibeast and got it to install and was able to boot HS from my M.2 drive with the USB key but when I used Muktibeast to do post installation, no matter how many times I tried I could not get it to boot and continually get the OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting overrides for \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
does print work??
Very frustrating when you can't even get to booting from the hd to deal with other probable issues.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Should I pass on using the APFS formatting and if so I guess I have to do this with Clover rather than Unibeast?
One other note, its seems that my USB drives won't work once I get to the point above and when I try to boot from them with the installer I get the same message. SO I have been using two and when one is corrupted I build another and it allows me to start again with a fresh install... long process to say the least.
Cheers and thanks!

Sadly this is part and parcel of building a hackintosh. To deal with your problem of the OSXaptiofixdrv.efi at startup, have you tried using the free-2000 variant? I've included the fix2000 variant of OSXAptiofixdrv for you to try. You should ONLY have one copy of OSXaptiofixdrv in your Drivers64UEFI folder. Multiples is a recipe for failure!

Also what firmware version is your board running - I'll reboot now and see which version my system is running.

edit: my board is running firmware version 1.20.

as for print, I haven't used a printer in years - but I don't see why not - for all intents and purposes the machine appears like a real mac - if I can reprogram stuff with a usb to serial converter in parallels desktop under windows seven, passing the usb to serial converter to the windows VM, I can't see why a printer won't work in OS X natively.

About the only issue I have is my second monitor needs a power cycle on restart to get OSX to realise its there, but thats a minor issue, as it just means power cycling it, and moving mail onto that display.

As a bonus, I have also updated the main zip folder in post 1, to reflect version 10.13.2 (17C88), with the latest kexts and all the files that make my system boot reliably.

Attachments

• OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I should have updated this a while ago and I should have also thanked you for all the advice. I got it working and all is good! The problem? My boot drive is a Samsung M.2 and it was corrupt and though I thought was reformatting when I went to do a clean install. it was not. I discovered this through the process of elimination and by selecting one of my SSD drives to build on rather than the M.2 and presto it worked. I exchanged the M.2 and removed the working SSD main drive and started again from scratch, this time it worked. Installed the 1060 and gfx drivers and they work perfectly.
I am pleased to have a working machine, but would not go this route again rather I would stick to Gigabyte. I am now going to try to install a ASRock Add-On Card Model THUNDERBOLT 3AIC card. That is if I can find one for sale as they all seem to be out of stock. Though MSI says that they will have one, I have yet hear any more than that. James Bond from the group pointed out the Thunderbolt header on the board though in the manual it is only mentioned as a connection for future use. I am going to try this card hoping that all the makers had to adhere to some standards when producing Thunderbolt cards and since this one has the same connection type as the one on my motherboard. It is worth the $100 bucks to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back