Contribute
Register

[Guide] MSI GE62VR Apache Pro-026 (Semi-Success, Work in Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello fellow Hackintoshers!

FLUFF:
My background: I am television producer, build TV studios, am video producer/shooter/editor/post production supervisor and occasional gamer. I need POWER! On work I have rackloads of computers, most of them have been hackintoshed.

Personally, have 1 desktop hackintosh: i7-4790K 32GB w/980ti (check stats on the left, under my profile picture).
I few weeks time, I will be installing long overdue THE ULTIMATE HACK PRO with ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS, Dual Intel Xeon E5-2690, and 980Ti (for macOS) and Titan XP (for Win, I know it's not supported on macOS..as of March 20, 2017) {already have all the components, running WIN 10 now}.
In total I have built more than 10 hackintosh computers, all of them are running strong (and I, ironically, still feel like "You know nothing, Jon Snow." about the whole process).

It's 2017 and it's about time to update my VERY out-dated, but very trustworthy 2011 MacBook Pro!
I HATE the direction apple is going with their products, MacPro updates are not frequent enough, MacBook Pro has been decimated into iPhone-on-steroids with touchbar and loosing the F'n keys! But the worst thing in the so-called "Professional" MacBook Lite is it has only 4 USB-C ports (granted they are TB3), but not enough diversity (haha no political pun intended).
So this is me rebelling against, what I feel has become a VERY COMFORTABLE company, abandoning Steve Job's ties to professional creative environment (Jobs and Pixar, he knew what pro's needed).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this guide I will be installing macOS Sierra 10.12.3 on MSI GE62VR Apache Pro-026 laptop. This is a not perfectly working machine and I will not have it with me for too long, as I have another more powerful laptop on the way with dedicated desktop chip Nvidia 980 (ASUS ROG G701VO-CS74K 17.3-Inch)!!!! Will be doing a guide/forum post for that as well. So don't expect me to provide long term support for this MSI laptop. I will, however, try to make it as ideal of a hack as much as I can while I have it. I do this for practice sake and to help others. (Hopefully fellow forumers can help me in return, with directing me to/showing me how to fix a few issues).

macOS_1 (runs, but only with CPUS=7).JPG

SPECS MSI GE62VR Apache Pro-026
(https://us.msi.com/pdf/nb/GE62VR Apache Pro-026.pdf):
-Intel® HM170 Chipset with i7-6700HQ (2.6 - 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
w/ Intel HD 530 (needs patches)
-12GB (8GB+4GB) DDR4 2133MHz
-NVIDIA GeForce® GTX1060 w/6G GDDR5
"MY PRECIOOOOUS!" will be disabled under macOS, due to failing Optimus technology, and no web drivers for Pascal.
-M.2 SATA + SATA (128GB M.2 SATA + 1TB 7200RPM) {Windows on SSD, macOS on HDD}
-DVD Super Multi (Very Nice! I LIKE! NOOOOT)
-Killer Gaming Network E2400 (kext in EFI zip below)
If any issues refer to https://github.com/Mieze/AtherosE2200Ethernet/blob/master/README.md
-Wi-Fi: Intel 3165 Stone Peak 1 (1x1)+BT4.0 M.2 type
Obviously doesn't work. Find replacement.
-Nahimic Sound
Basically, a bloatware name, it uses ALC899 hardware, however will work under macOS with ALC898 patches (attached HDA Patcher can help).
-SD (XC/HC) Card Reader
No way to make it work, because it's PCIe. If it was USB connected, it would've been more likely to make it work.
-Webcam FHD type (30fps@1080p)
IS IT SUPPORTED? Not out of the box. Maybe there is a way to make it work?

BIOS
(https://us.msi.com/Laptop/support/GE62VR-Apache-Pro-6th-Gen-GTX-1060.html#down-bios):
E16JBIMS.109 (2017-01-17)
Check BIOS settings in the attachments below.

Ports:

-USB: USB 3.0 x2, USB 2.0 x1, USB 3.1 Type C x1 (Specifications White Paper says it's Thunderbolt)
-VIDEO: HDMI 1.4 x1 (supports 4K@30hz), mDP 1.2 x1, USB 3.0 Type C x1
-AUDIO: Gold-plated headphones and mic jacks.
-MISC: Gigabit Ethernet, Card Reader, AC-jack,

As you can see it is very diverse on the connectivity, I love it!

Before starting, A MUST READ RehabMan's EVERY SINGLE STICKY POST!
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-some-unsolved-problems-in-10-12-sierra.202316/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

As I recall, I used CREATEINSTALLMEDIA command in terminal, then installed clover and configured config.plist and added kexts (all in RehabMan's instructions!).

I have managed to install and run macOS 10.12.3 successfully*, after a lot of struggling of course. Check pictures for BIOS settings.

What works:
-Ethernet
-x2 USB 3, x1 USB 2, x1 USB 3.1 Type-C (test OK!! w/Anker A8303 Hub+Ethernet)
-Sound
-Sleep/Wake
-Intel HD 530
-Trackpad (max 2 fingers, even then sometimes not very responsive)
-Keyboard backlight and brightness control (Always stays red in macOS, under Win possible to change, it's RGB.)

*TO DO:
-MAJOR:
CPU has 4 cores (total of 8 logical cores). Right now, can't boot to have all 8 logical core.
Booting with CPUS=8 (or without this Boot-Arg) will halt, unless I boot with CPUS=1-7 (tested all of them).
Apple logo with progress bar stuck at 20% will be hanging indefinitely. Verbose doesn't help either. Will need to see what happens with DSDT/SSDT. More details in POST #2.
-MAJOR:
Screen brightness control
-HDMI port doesn't show anything. As if it doesn't exist.
-MiniDP - YET TO TEST
-Wi-Fi (have to replace M.2 chip)
-Sleep/wake on closing/opening lid. UPDATE: Wakes up on open lid!
-Webcam
-Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C (will it work? yet to find out)
-Card Reader (added to this list because "Lo ultimo que muere es la esperanza")
-DSTD/SSDT (Do I need????) Never done it, believe it or not. :| UPDATE: working on it, check POSTS below.

What doesn't work:

-Boot from HDD. Have to have clover USB stick (or mess with windows' EFI partition, AT YOUR OWN RISK)
BIOS doesn't support boot from SATA HDD EFI (see attached picture for boot options. Even after clover install on HDD, it doesn't show up in BIOS).
-Failed Optimus Driverless Nvidia GTX 1060!! :(

Other thoughts:

Went thru HUGE trouble to find that DVMT patch is NOT needed, BIOS already allocated 128MB, which is enough for El Capitan/Sierra.

I am keeping WIN 10 SSD M.2 drive intact. I SUGGEST YOU DON'T MESS WITH IT WITHOUT PROPER BACKUP. Windows license and all.
I recommend getting slim USB 3 drive for booting/storage purposes (Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Fit or Lexar JumpDrive S45 128GB USB 3.0. NOT SANDISK 128GB SLIM - GETS VERY HOT)

EFI USB CONTENTS:
Attached is my EFI zipped folder. As I progress in changes, I will try to keep updating and posting up-to-date working EFI folder.
After download rename "2-config.noserial.v2.18march2017.plist" to "config.plist" and generate MacBookPro13,3 in SMBIOS tab of Clover Configurator.

EFI v1 (17 March 2017) - Initial Release. {w/ original DSDT.aml (no edits)}
EFI v2 (18 March 2017) - Removed unnecessary boot-args: maxmem=12288 kext-dev-mode=1

BIOS SETTINGS 1.JPG BIOS SETTINGS 2.JPG BIOS SETTINGS 3.JPG BIOS SETTINGS 4.JPG BIOS SETTINGS 5.JPG BIOS SETTINGS 6.JPG NO HDD AS BOOT DRIVE.JPG

For this amazing opportunity I give credit to the GREATEST hackintosh community!
Especially to @RehabMan for his amazing dedication to the forum, almost any thread I look into, HE IS THERE!!!!!!
Of course A LOT OF thanks to @tonymacx86. Thanks to other members for AppleHDA, Killer E2400, other kexts, tweaks and advices!

Attachments

• AppleHDA Patcher.app_v1.7.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 460
  • EFI.v2.18march17.MSI-GE62VR-026.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 846
  • MSI_GE62VR_Apache_Pro-026.pdf
    67.7 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
MAJOR ISSUE:
Can't boot to have all 8 logical core.

Booting with CPUS=8 (or without this Boot-Arg) will halt, unless I boot with CPUS=1-7 (tested all of them).
Apple logo with progress bar stuck at 20% will be hanging indefinitely. Verbose doesn't help either.
Will need to try DSDT/SSDT.
What are my options? Where to start?

Attached images show booting without CPUS boot-arg. Verbose and no verbose.
No CPUS boot-arg 1.JPG No CPUS boot-arg 2 (verbose).jpeg

Update:
This post had attached file "dsdt.aml" it was improperly shared file. I deleted it. Look below for up-to date file.

Last edited:
MAJOR ISSUE:
Can't boot to have all 8 logical core.

Isn't the first core numbered as 0 meaning that the eighth core is number 7 ?

Isn't the first core numbered as 0 meaning that the eighth core is number 7 ?

I believe that's the case when you edit VoodooTSCSync.kext (or similar). You will have to put IOCPUNumber=7 for 8 logical cores. Not in clover I think.

Also with boot-arg CPUS=7 it only shows 7 active cores in Activity Monitor (bar for 8th is present, but never moves). For CPUS=4 it shows life on 4 cores out of 8... You get the idea...

Last edited:
I have spent hours learning DSDT/SSDT patching, and did use F4 in Clover to dump DSDT. Then as per @RehabMan 's guide disassembled with refs.txt. Only then opened .dsl in MaciASL.

Then added patches:
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"

Changed "GFX0 to IGPU"
Also "_DSM to XMBC"

Couldn't compile 2 SSDTs: SSDT-1.aml and SSDT-6x
Compiled SSDTs are in attachement. UPDATE: do not download this attachment, it misses SSDT 1&6x. CHECK POST 8.

This results in weird behavior during booting, no HDD activity, progress bar goes up to about 60% and then sign UNAVAILABLE appears.

Will post more info in couple hours

Attachments

• patched.zip
    54.2 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
-MAJOR: Brightness control
Just apply "Brightness Fix" to your DSDT and install IntelBacklight.kext to S/L/E.

-Sleep/wake on closing/opening lid. JUST IN: Wakes on open lid!
You need working power management and IGPU power management.
Here is a guide from RehabMans for power management: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/
IGPU power management is quite simple: you need working power management and rename GFX0 to IGPU. Renames must be balanced, when you rename GFX0 to IGPU in one ACPI file, you need to rename it in the other files too.

-Boot from HDD. Have to have clover USB stick (or mess with windows' EFI partition, AT YOUR OWN RISK)
BIOS doesn't support boot from SATA HDD EFI (see attached picture for boot options. Even after clover install on HDD, it doesn't show up in BIOS).
You need to rename a windows boot file after you installed Clover to your EFI partition.
After installing Windows, you may lose Clover. This is because Windows has set itself as the active UEFI bootloader (a UEFI BIOS setting, often hidden).

To recover Clover, easy way:
- on the EFI partition: rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi

-Failed Optimus Driverless Nvidia GTX 1060!! :(
Pascal graphic card aren´t supported by mac OS now, you can only use your HD 530.

I have spent hours learning DSDT/SSDT patching, and did use F4 in Clover to dump DSDT. Then as per @RehabMan 's guide disassembled with refs.txt. Only then opened .dsl in MaciASL.

Then added patches:
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"

Changed "GFX0 to IGPU"
Also "_DSM to XMBC"

Couldn't compile 2 SSDTs: SSDT-1.aml and SSDT-6
Compiled SSDTs are in attachement.

This results in weird behavior during booting, no HDD activity, progress bar goes up to about 60% and then sign UNAVAILABLE appears.

Will post more info in couple hours

You cannot arbitrarily eliminate SSDTs.
You will need to fix the problems you find in SSDT-1 and SSDT-6.
No details provided, so no ideas for you there...

Thanks for reply, @RehabMan
I will be as efficient as I can, explaining things in fewer, but bigger posts. I value time.
I like to learn to do things myself, but I need some personal guidance, for things like: SSDT compilation errors that don't make sense or random specific things. Feel free to bounce me around forums to helpful info.

Apologies on not attaching SSDTs 1 and 6x before.

1). Now, I attached ZIP that has
- All patched DSDT and SSDTs;
- Included original SSDT 1 and 6x (right after IASL w/refs.txt disassembly) in the root of ZIP (they are marked);
- (in case of in-depth look) You can find original dump of F4 clover *.aml;
- Disassembled *.dsl without using refs.txt;
- And *.dsl disassembled with refs.txt.
All separated and properly labeled. Refs.txt is also present.

I hope that once SSDT 1 & 6x are fixed, MSI would boot successfully with all 8 logical cores active.
Please teach me how to fix those errors, I genuinely want to know!

2). Should I apply SKYLAKE LPC patch? So little information about that patch. What does it do?

3). All USBs seem to work. Have tested them all (x1 USB3.1 type-C, x2 USB3, x1 USB2), and all work at their respective speeds. For USB3.1 I used Anker A8303 Hub+Ethernet (everything works great!).
Maybe the question is redundant, but: Should I do any DSDT USB patches?

4). After all of the DSDT patches, does it mean that I can disable HD 530 fixes in clover? Didn't see explicit answer to that question yet.
I currently, successfully, use:
InjectIntel=Yes ig-platform=0x191b0000
And all the IntelGFX properties as follows:

Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 11.03.02 PM.png

Should you have any questions, let me know, I will be eagerly awaiting your reply.

FLUFF: Spent last 5 nights up and learning hackintosh stuff. This is soo cool! Thank you for maintaining this community!

Attachments

• Patched DSDT:SSDT (using refs.txt and RehabMan's recommended patches).zip
    399.5 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Applied patch SKYLAKE LPC.
Tried booting with just DSDT file in ACPI/patched/, got the same NO-GO (blocked) sign as with BOTH: DSDT and SSDTs.

Curios note: every about 45 seconds, this sign blacks out for a millisecond, and then stays on until next micro-blackout in about 45 seconds.

1).I did not disable Nvidia with patch thou. Will try to do it now. Maybe that will help.
2).Applied to DSDT those patches: "Cleanup/Fix Errors (SSDT)" and "Disable/Enable on _WAK/_PTS (DSDT)"
SAME NO-GO SIGN!
nv_disable=1 doesn't fix anything in both cases.

Observation:
-without DSDT, HDD activity light starts to blink immediately after clover initiates macOS load.
-with DSDT, HDD lights are dark...

Maybe my clover config.plist has bad settings?

1 - Regular boot with just DSDT.JPG 2 - Verbose boot with DSDT.JPG 3 - Verbose boot with DSDT (if I leave PC ON for a minute this is what appears).JPG

Attachments

• config.plist
    11.9 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
Proof of the semi-successful macOS run.

Runs with
  • HD 530 fixes (visible in above post #8)
  • KEXT: AppleHDA/CodecCommander/HDAEnabler/Killer E2400/ACPIBatteryManager/FakeSMC/VoodooPS2Controller
  • CPUS=7 dart=0
  • no DSDT/SSDT.
On plus side: Keyboard backlight is adjustable. :)

Looking forward to making it rock even better!!!

macOS_1 (runs, but only with CPUS=7).JPG macOS_2 (runs, but only with CPUS=7).JPG macOS_3 (USB-C Ethernet).JPG macOS_4 (built-in LAN Killer E2400 hackintosh sierra).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back