Contribute
Register

[Guide] MSI GE62 Apache Pro 6QD, High Sierra 10.13.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
@feartech

Thanks for the hint, but as I read in the original post

He said to put it in the System/Library/Extensions

As you can see in my previous post USBInjectAll.kext is the only one in /System/Library/Extensions as per the original post

@RehabMan First of all thank you for your reply, believe me I've read your guides many times, but I was not able to complete the boot process until I've found this post and was able to get to the desktop, that's why you may find some differences between your guide and my setup, whenever I face a problem I search the forum, and as you can see some post may contains some errors, I know you see ton of this kind of issue, but we are not experts as you.

I wish you said USBInjectAll.kext is in /System/Library/Extensions but it should be in /Library/Extensions
it will be simpler for me to fix it, instead of go and read the guide again and again to spot the issue, again I put it in the /System/Library/Extensions because the original post say so

Again I've read your FAQ, my question was not clear enough, I've already installed the kexts using your guide (sudo cp -R KextToInstall.kext /Library/Extensions) so I was asking if it will be enough to move them using Finder or should I remove them and start again, I thought they have the required permissions because I originally installed them using your guide.

Thanks again but I wish your answers can be more specific and direct to the problem.

So I've updated my log files, I hope everything is correct now, the issue with flickering is still happening.

Kexts should be in /L/E.
Read the FAQ... it is quite clear:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

@feartech

Thanks for the hint, but as I read in the original post

He said to put it in the System/Library/Extensions

As you can see in my previous post USBInjectAll.kext is the only one in /System/Library/Extensions as per the original post

@RehabMan First of all thank you for your reply, believe me I've read your guides many times, but I was not able to complete the boot process until I've found this post and was able to get to the desktop, that's why you may find some differences between your guide and my setup, whenever I face a problem I search the forum, and as you can see some post may contains some errors, I know you see ton of this kind of issue, but we are not experts as you.

I wish you said USBInjectAll.kext is in /System/Library/Extensions but it should be in /Library/Extensions
it will be simpler for me to fix it, instead of go and read the guide again and again to spot the issue, again I put it in the /System/Library/Extensions because the original post say so

Again I've read your FAQ, my question was not clear enough, I've already installed the kexts using your guide (sudo cp -R KextToInstall.kext /Library/Extensions) so I was asking if it will be enough to move them using Finder or should I remove them and start again, I thought they have the required permissions because I originally installed them using your guide.

Thanks again but I wish your answers can be more specific and direct to the problem.

So I've updated my log files, I hope everything is correct now, the issue with flickering is still happening.

IntelGraphicsFixup.kext (typically required) is not installed.

383967-msi-ge62-apache.jpg
Hello. This is a guide on how to install High Sierra on an MSI GE62 Apache Pro.

[Specifications]
  • CPU: Intel I7-6700HQ
  • CHIPSET: Intel HM170
  • MEMORY: 16GB of DDR4 Ram
  • GRAPHICS: Intel Iris 530 + Nvidia GTX 960M (Disabled B/c of Optimus)
  • AUDIO: ALC898
  • WEBCAM
  • WIFI + BLUETOOTH: Intel Dual Band 3165 (Not supported so I swamped it with the BCM94352Z)
  • HDMI
  • MINI-DISPLAYPORT
  • 2 USB 3.0 PORT
  • 1 USB 2.0 PORT
  • 1 USB 3.1 USB TYPE C
  • SD CARD
  • CD/DVD DRIVE
What's not working
  • Webcam (For some reason Fn+F6 isn't working)
  • SD Card
  • GTX 960M
What you need
  • 8GB USB Drive or more
  • An official copy of High Sierra on the USB
  • BCM94352Z (If you want Wifi and Bluetooth to work properly)
1.) Bios Update
DISCLAIMER: Before you update your bios, please make sure you have the exact same model as this laptop with the same specs. FLASH THIS UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

The reason we need to update bios to the latest version is because for some reason High Sierra doesn't utilize all go the 4 cores/ 8 threads because of a bios issue.

Download the latest bios off of the MSI service website, which the latest bios version should be "E16J5IMS.11D" and drag the file to the usb. After you turn off your computer, turn it on and while it turns off spam the delete button. This will take you to bios settings. From there go to Advanced tab and select "UEFI BIOS UPDATE" and click enter and then search for the file from your USB drive. After you click accept I'll proceed in updating bios.

2.) USB Installation
  • Download High Sierra on your Mac. After the download is complete, insert USB and format it into GTP, HFS+, and call it "volume". After you do this open terminal and copy and paste the following:
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/volume
  • Download Clover and run the program. After you click on "Change Installation", select the USB, which now the usb is called "Install macOS High Sierra", and click on "Customize"; select "UEFI Only", "Target ESP", expand "drivers64UEFI" and select "OsxAptioFixDrv" and click "Install".

3.) Changing EFI Settings To Work Properly
Once the Clover Installation finishes, download the correct iGPU from GitHub, for me it was the Intel Iris 530, and rename it to "config.plist" and replace the file it into /EFI/Clover/.
  • Download FakeSMC.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext, and AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext (kext download is at the end of this guide) and place them in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other/.
  • Open "Install macOS High Sierra App" and go to -> Show Package Contents -> Contents -> SharedSupport -> BaseSystem.dmg. In BaseSystem.dmg, go to "usr -> standalone -> i386". Get apfs.efi and place it in /EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI/ if you plan on installing the OS in an SSD.
After this, turn off your computer and go to BIOS and make sure secure boot up is disabled. From there insert the USB and restart the computer and when the MSI logo shows, spam the F11 button til you can enter Clover. Install macOS and format the partition as "MacOS Extended (Journal)". NOT AS APFS. Proceed with the installation.

[/code]

4.) Post Installation
  • Backlight:
    • Download SSDT-PNLF.aml from here and make sure it's in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched/
    • Open "config.plist" and add the AppleBacklight KextToPatch:
    • Make sure that AppleBacklightInjector.kext is in /Library/Extensions/. Follow this guide to download the kext.
    • Restart!
  • Audio:
    • Download AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext and place them in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other/.
    • Open "config.plist" and in "Devices" for audio ID type "98'
    • Restart!
  • Wifi
    • Make sure you replace the factory Wifi card with BCM94352Z.
    • Download FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and drag them into /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other/. Make sure you have FakeSMC.kext there too.
    • Open "config.plist" with Clover Configurator and add the following to KextsToPatch:
    • Restart and boom! Wifi and bluetooth should work now.
  • Disabling GTX960M :(
    • Read this guide to learn about SSDT and DSDT and the difference between .aml and .dsl; make sure you have downloaded the latest version of MaciASL.app and that iasl is in MaciASL.app.
    • Restart the laptop and wait til the Clover boot loader loads. Press F4 and let it dump the files we need for a few seconds. Log back in and open /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Origin/. Drag "DSDT.aml" and all the "SSDT-X" (Only get the ssdt that has just a number where the X is at) and place them inside a folder in the desktop. Rename the folder as "dsl". Your folder should look something like this:
      faNgslWM4hUd3AYjsD90E_POK8ZECXVwigng4s5xOyYGkrD6d9XvXM4DKOreCiGVS4ebFk_p5DTRKO2qdXm1=w1920-h916
    • Open terminal and type:
      Code:
      cd ~/Desktop/dsl/
      After this, copy this: and open up terminal and TYPE this:
      Code:
      pbpaste>refs.txt
      (This will create a reft.txt which helps correct issues.)

After this, you can now copy and paste this in the terminal:
      Code:
      iasl -da -dl -fe refs.txt DSDT.aml SSDT*.aml
      This will turn the .aml files into .dsl.
    • Now Open MaciASL and click on "preferences"; from there click on "resources" and click on the "+" button. Name it as "Laptop Patches" and for the URL type this:
      Restart MaciASL.
    • First we need to add patches to "DSDT.dsl". Open "DSDT.dsl", click on "Patch" and patch the following: Once you're done patching, click on compile. You shouldn't have any errors. Save the patched "DSDT.dsl" as "AML" (Also known as ACPI Machine Language Binary) and save it in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/. We're done patching DSDT (for now).
    • Now open "SSDT-8-OptTabl.dsl" and add patch:
  • Now, you need to add this code in "SSDT-*-OptTabl.dsl" before the "_OFF" call:
    Code:
            Method(_INI)
                {
                    _OFF()
                }
    It should look like this:

Before the Off call:
    0oVSm0EyDSXCZppgJCKan2rTlexvIVPQfyWAJtfO1LrKDFgoE6x-Z3lRdFylAaRjwpqwygNnbkXPPOQhvuro=w1920-h916

After the Off call:
    BsrhK9Gyy00ZffdQPkjVMXuG2kWGdHvyTM5r1xZ3ZYy-K8MkVCCqortfu2K60gThs-gp9X9cCW6xbm-boJNf=w1920-h916

Compile and save as "AML" into the /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched/.
    Restart and the discrete graphics card should be disabled!
  • USB Ports:
    • Open "Config.plist" with "Plist Editor pro" and on "AICP - > DSDT - > Patches " section add:
      Code:
                      <dict>
                          <key>Comment</key>
                          <string>change EHC1 to EH01</string>
                          <key>Disabled</key>
                          <false/>
                          <key>Find</key>
                          <data>
                          RUhDMQ==
                          </data>
                          <key>Replace</key>
                          <data>
                          RUgwMQ==
                          </data>
                      </dict>
                      <dict>
                          <key>Comment</key>
                          <string>change EHC2 to EH02</string>
                          <key>Disabled</key>
                          <false/>
                          <key>Find</key>
                          <data>
                          RUhDMg==
                          </data>
                          <key>Replace</key>
                          <data>
                          RUgwMg==
                          </data>
                      </dict>
    • Now go to "KextsToPatch" section and add this:
      Code:
      <key>KextsToPatch</key>
              <array>
                  <dict>
                      <key>Comment</key>
                      <string>USB 10.13.4+ by PMHeart</string>
                      <key>Disabled</key>
                      <false/>
                      <key>Find</key>
                      <data>
                      g32UDw+DlwQAAA==
                      </data>
                      <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                      <false/>
                      <key>MatchOS</key>
                      <string>10.13.x</string>
                      <key>Name</key>
                      <string>com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI</string>
                      <key>Replace</key>
                      <data>
                      g32UD5CQkJCQkA==
                      </data>
                  </dict>
              </array>
    • Download USBInjectAll.kext and install the kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ using kext beast or another utility.
    • Restart and USB ports should at least work.
  • Battery:

I will be adding more things If there is a new update or if there is something that isn't working at the moment. Feel free to ask for help and to contribute with this development.

Thank you to Rehabman, emdirector, Starkka15 and everyone else that helped make this laptop compatible for hackintosh.

Resources:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/msi-ge62-6qd-apache-pro-cpus-1.215520/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-usb-raise-port-limit-patch-for-high-sierra.226072/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pro-026-semi-success-work-in-progress.217274/
Hi, I have the same laptop as you and I followed all your steps but i only have boot from windows in the clover boot menu and no install from os x. Can someone please help?

Glad to see that a tutorial was made that everyone can follow, thanks a lot!

Glad to see that a tutorial was made that everyone can follow, thanks a lot!
Yeah man thanks to you for helping fix the cpu core issue! I also have a Mojave guide if you want to see.

Yeah man thanks to you for helping fix the cpu core issue! I also have a Mojave guide if you want to see.
Already saw it. If it's any easier for anyone in the future, the easier and much more simple method if you already have High Sierra installed, is to just upgrade to Mojave using the App Store. I didn't have to do anything to my configuration and it is working just fine. In fact, I'm typing from Safari in Mojave rn.

Already saw it. If it's any easier for anyone in the future, the easier and much more simple method if you already have High Sierra installed, is to just upgrade to Mojave using the App Store. I didn't have to do anything to my configuration and it is working just fine. In fact, I'm typing from Safari in Mojave rn.
Yup! By any chance, does your steelseries keyboard change colors after the Mojave update? Mine don't seem to change colors.

Yup! By any chance, does your steelseries keyboard change colors after the Mojave update? Mine don't seem to change colors.
Let me test this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back