Contribute
Register

[Guide] Mountain Lion Installation for Asus Vivobook S200, X202, S400...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry, did you format the drive with the Windows installer? I just put my new SSD in (was single-booting OS X on the stock HD before) and now I'm trying to follow the guide. I installed Windows 8 just fine, but the only partition that will mount in the OS X installer is the Windows 8 partition. The one I made for OS X does nothing when I click mount, and when I do repair disk it says "Disk Utility can't repair this disk." I can't erase any of the partitions and I can't create a new partition map either. Hopefully I didn't just buy a faulty SSD.

EDIT: It looks like I'm having a similar problem to what cnc137 had. I'll see if one of those links helps.

I reinstalled windows 8 with a 200 mb efi partition and it went smoothly. I tried to add a partition for osx and now it's stuck at preparing to partition disk. :/

I reinstalled windows 8 with a 200 mb efi partition and it went smoothly. I tried to add a partition for osx and now it's stuck at preparing to partition disk. :/

Your problem and cnc137's remind me of something.
I did and tried a lot of OS X installs to get OS X working, so I messed up a lot of times and reinsalled so many times.
I think I also ran into this.
My guess is that if you use Disk Utility to format the disk at first, and then use Windows 8 installer, it will detect the drive in a weird stage.
So even you can install Windows 8, but the partition scheme is not GUID, or there's something wrong with the partitions which don't work with disk utility.
I don't remember what I did to fix it though.
But here is an idea:
- boot into Windows 8 installer
- delete all partitions to clear every thing
- shut down
- boot into Windows 8 installer again
- create a partition for windows 8 -> now you should see 4 partitions total. The other three are small, one of them should be reserved for Microsoft EFI one.
- If you don't see this, something is wrong.
- And you should have space left for another OS X partition.
- So the total is 5 partitions.

Update: check all litan1106's posts on this page: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-laptop-support/78488-asus-vivobook-s200-x202-good-32.html
I don't think Windows Preview 8.1 causing the problem, but I guess the problem was that litan1106 formatted the disk using Disk Utility first and then used Windows 8.1 installer.
Then litan1106 used Windows 8 installer to format again and it works.
So try my suggestion above, it should work.

I actually may have figured it out. I rebooted and went back into disk utility, created a fresh partition map, then made a GPT disk with 2 hfs+ partitions. I booted into the windows installer, erased the second partition, and made 2 new partitions (one for windows and one for linux). I installed windows 8 to the second partition and it booted just fine. I'm going to clone my osx install back over to the first partition and copy all the clover files to the ESP and see how it goes.

EDIT: Yep, that did the trick.

I now have a triple boot Vivobook! Windows 8, OS X, and Ubuntu are all booting natively in UEFI mode. To install Ubuntu, I just had to choose "something else" in the installer to manually add an ext4 partition mounted at / (I only used a root partition) and chose to install the bootloader to that partition. It automatically set the first boot option as Ubuntu so I just had to go back into the bios and switch it back to Clover. BTW pretty much everything works ootb in Ubuntu including the touchscreen.

It worked, it was not mounting correctly. Appreciate the help!

Sleep not working for me...I view my desktop but then black screen with white text (bootup language prompts) appears and machine auto-reboots.

I can't get clover to hide my windows 8 disk. I only want to see the EFI option for windows. I added this to the config.plist:
<key>Windows8</key>
<true/>
under the HideEntries section, but It doesn't seem to do anything. Not a huge deal but it's kind of annoying.

Also PennyWisdom thanks for that kext, your settings work perfect for me.

It worked, it was not mounting correctly. Appreciate the help!

Sleep not working for me...I view my desktop but then black screen with white text (bootup language prompts) appears and machine auto-reboots.

I am not sure how to help from what you have said.
The first part was "Sleep not working...", and then I read this "bootup language prompts" - it looks like you are installing OS X and at the choosing language step.
So I am confused.

I think he's talking about the message it gives you before the Apple screen that tells you your computer shut down because of a problem. It looks like the gray kernel panic screen except it's white.

I can't get clover to hide my windows 8 disk. I only want to see the EFI option for windows. I added this to the config.plist:
<key>Windows8</key>
<true/>
under the HideEntries section, but It doesn't seem to do anything. Not a huge deal but it's kind of annoying.

Also PennyWisdom thanks for that kext, your settings work perfect for me.

Is "Windows8" your volume/partition name?
"HideEntries" is to hide types like Legacy, UEFI, EFI,....
To hide volume by name, you add the entry into the "Volumes" part which is above "HideEntries".
For example:
<key>Volumes</key>
<dict>
<key>Hide</key>
<array>
<string>Recovery</string> #Hide "Recovery" volume
<string>Windows8</string> #Hide "WIndows8" volume
<string>Ubuntu1210</string> #Hide "Ubuntu1210" volume
</array>
</dict>

Status
Not open for further replies.