Contribute
Register

[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12.6 on the Acer v3-372 w/ iris 550 graphics with Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Acer v3-372
CPU
i3-6157U
Graphics
Intel Iris 550, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
This guide assumes you are installing from scratch !

This guide is for the Acer Aspire v3-372

My Configuration:

• Intel Core i3-6157u
  • 8GB DDR3l RAM (16GB+ strongly advised for heavy graphics use due to the iris 550 taking up to 4157 mb of your system RAM, will upgrade this as well)
  • 128GB SSD (will swap this eventually too)
  • 1920x1080 screen resolution
  • BIOS version 1.09

With the release of macOS High Sierra being just around the corner I might be a bit late to the party, but anyhow let’s get started:

As always I'm not responsible for any harm that may come to your laptop or data for using this guide.

What works:
  • Screen
  • Battery status
  • Shutdown and restart
  • Ethernet
  • CPU power management
  • iGPU Power management
  • USB
  • Native NVRAM
  • Webcam
  • Stock Bluetooth (this can strangely not be turned off)
  • Touchpad and keyboard
  • Audio

Partially working:
  • Sleep, wake (no lid sleep as of right now, working on a fix, also instant wake bug w/ usb devices attached, other than that sleep works perfectly via the menu)

What doesn't work (yet):

• Wi-Fi (must be replaced by a compatible chip, I personally recommend using a DW1560, USB dongles are known to cause several issues, plus this laptop does not have a WiFi-whitelist and is fairly easy to disassemble and replace parts
  • brightness (will implement this later on)
  • Internal microphone
  • Realtek SD card reader (will attempt an experimental fix for this)

Not tested yet:

• USB type C (do not own any USB C devices for testing)
  • HDMI
  • USB 3.0 speed (do not own any USB 3 devices for testing)
Left to do:
  • Injecting USB power properties, problem here is there is both an H_EC as well as an EC0 device in this laptops DSDT.
  • Implementing brightness controls
  • Mapping the keyboard correctly (currently ALT functions as the command key)
  • testing HDMI Audio/Video

Requirements:

Get macOS Sierra
  • Open Mac App Store
  • Download macOS Sierra (10.12.6 at time of writing; beta releases may be unreliable)
  • When the download finishes and the setup screen appears, Quit the app from the menu bar. You should now see the application /Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app

-Use GPT, select the target of the install to "install_osx" using "Change Install Location"

- select "Customize" (the default is a legacy install -- we need to change it)

- check "Install for UEFI booting only", "Install Clover in the ESP" will automatically select

- check "OsxAptioFixDrv-64" or "OsxAptioFixDrv2-64" from Drivers64UEFI, both seem to work and if not, they are easily interchangeable

- Do not select DataHubDxe-64.efi

After Clover is finished make sure you have:

On your install drive in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. You can delete all the 10.x folders in there.

If you have a different compatible Wi-Fi chip, also add the appropriate kext

Make sure you have HFSPlus.efi in your EFI/Clover/drivers64uefi folder !

On your ‘install_osx’ partition, create a folder titled ‘postinstall’ and place in there:
  • ssdtPRGen.sh please download the latest ssdtPRGen.sh directly from Piker-Alpha's GitHub. For whatever reason, downloading ssdtPRGen.sh via terminal using the commands provided by @tonymacx86 in post #1 does not download the latest version of ssdtPRGen.sh (version 15 or something). The latest version at the time of writing is version 21.1. The new Skylake processors are supported in this latest version.( Thanks to andrewygj for pointing this out)
Left click on ssdtPRGen.sh > right click on Raw > Download linked file

To clarify, the ssdtPRGen.sh linked by tonymacx86 is the master version, 15.6. Looking at the script, it supports Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Broadwell. To download the latest ssdtPRGen.sh, you would have to enter the beta branch to download Version 21.1. This script supports Skylake and even Kabylake.

Then replace /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist with the config.plist attached to this post. It will allow you to boot into the installer.

2- Preparation

Once your USB drive is ready, you must change some BIOS settings

• Boot into BIOS by pressing the F2 key
  • Set a supervisor password in order to unlock security related options
  • Disable Secure Boot
  • Change boot order and put "USB HDD" on top of all the options
  • You can remove the supervisor password now by selecting the ‘set supervisor password’ option again, entering the password and leaving the new password fields blank. Otherwise you will need to enter this password every time you access the BIOS
  • Set the touchpad to ‘Advanced’
  • I also recommend you to enable the F12 Boot Menu, however this is not mandatory
  • Reboot
You can press F12 for this laptop at boot to select the USB flash drive if you enabled it earlier.

3- Installation

Now that you've booted to the installer, you should be able to use your trackpad and keyboard, if not, check if you've the VoodooPS2Controller kext installed.

• Go to Disk Utility
  • Erase your disk as HFS+ Journaled with GUID Partition Map, choose whatever you like as a name, I prefer using the standard ‘Macintosh HD’
  • Now install macOS to the disk
The macOS installer will estimate the installation to just take a few minutes. That however is almost a CNN worthy case of fake news. Be patient, this will take a while.

When prompted, select ‘Do not connect to the internet’. We will connect to it later on.

4- Post-installation

When you end up on the Desktop go ahead and copy the postinstall folder from your usb drive to the desktop. Start the Clover bootloader installer and use the same settings as with the installer USB plus:

- select "Install RC scripts on target volume"

- select "Install Clover Preference Pane" (not mandatory, but really useful)

Make sure you are installing to your SSD and select install.
Once Clover is done, reboot (using the USB drive to boot into macOS again).
Once back at the desktop, start EFIMounterv3 and mount the EFI partition of your USB drive. This will be whatever drive is not the currently booted volume (usually disk1sX)
Copy the ‘Other’ folder in EFI/CLOVER/kexts as well as HFSplus.efi from EFI/CLOVER/DriversUEFI64 and your config.plist to the desktop
Remove your Install drive. Don’t wipe this drive after you are done. It is useful to have around if you somehow can’t boot into macOS anymore.
Now mount the EFI partition on your SSD and move the Other folder to the same location as on the USB drive. Do the same for HFSplus.efi (e.g. move this to EFI/CLOVER/DriversUEFI64) and your config.plist
Reboot. Now let’s add Clover to the Boot options in the BIOS:

o press F2 multiple times, you should now enter the bios.​

o Go to the Boot options tab,​

select add boot option and press enter.​

o Now enter a name, I use Clover, press tab, and select HDD, you can select it with the arrow keys. Now press tab and enter: EFI\BOOT\Cloverx64.efi​

Press tab again, select ok, and press Enter.​

o Clover has now been added to the boot menu. Go to the Boot tab and move it up in the boot priority list using F5/F6​

Configuring CPU Power Management and the webcam:

• copy ssdtPRGen.sh to your user directory. The next step is to change the file mode (+x) in terminal with:
    Code:
    chmod +x ~/ssdtPRGen.sh
  • type:

Code:
    sudo ~/ssdtPRGen.sh
  • Type 'n' and press Enter at the first prompt
  • Type 'n' and press Enter at the second prompt
  • Open Finder and in menubar choose Go/Go to Folder...
  • Type ~/Library/ssdtPRGen/
  • Copy SSDT.aml to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
  • While you are at it also copy SSDT-UAIC.aml from your postinstall directory to the same directory (/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/)
  • Install usbinjectall.kext
NOTE: The Power Management SSDT should always be SSDT.aml. If you have an SSDT.aml there already, rename it SSDT-1.aml, etc...

o Also diable hibernation by running:

Code:
sudo pmset -a standby 0 && sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

In terminal

• Reboot

Making AppleLPC load correctly:

Run IOregistryexplorer and search for 'LPCB'

Note down your device id, this will be the entry next to 'name'. In my case it is pci8086,9d48

copy AppleLPC.kext to your desktop by dragging it there from System/Library/Extensions , right click on it and select "Show Package Contents" then navigate to Contents/Info.plist and open the plist with PlistEdit Pro. Then find the section in the plist which looks like this:

Code:
< key>IONameMatch</key>
            <array>
                <string>pci8086,1c42</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c44</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c4e</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c4c</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c50</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c4a</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c46</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c5c</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c52</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c54</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c56</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c43</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c4f</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c47</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c4b</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c49</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c41</string>
                <string>pci8086,1c4d</string>
                <string>pci8086,1e42</string>
                <string>pci8086,1e55</string>
                <string>pci8086,1e58</string>
                <string>pci8086,1e57</string>
                <string>pci8086,1e59</string>
                <string>pci8086,1e5d</string>
                <string>pci8086,1e43</string>
                <string>pci8086,1e56</string>
            </array>

Add your device Id by inserting the line <string>pci8086,9d48</string> above all others.
Then save the plist. Make sure it is saved with the correct plist extension and nothing else.
Now you can add the modified kext to system/library/extensions using a utility such as Kext Wizard, Kext Utility or KextBeast.

Appendix: Windows 10 Dual Boot (same drive)

If you'd like to install Windows 10 in a dual boot configuration on the same drive as Sierra, follow these additional steps. There are many ways to do the installation, this is just one that is known to work.

Requirements

· Your macOS install USB drive (if you wipe this out to use for Windows, you will have to recreate it later)

· A USB drive to use for the Windows installer

· An existing Windows computer to prepare the drive

Prepare Windows 10 USB on a Windows computer

· Download the Windows Media Creation Tool

· Insert your USB stick or drive

· Run the tool

· Select your Windows 10 ISO

· Select the USB install type

· Select your USB drive

· Wait for it to finish and move the USB drive to the hackintosh

Installing Windows 10:

Start from the working Sierra install above, and:

· Open Disk Utility

· Select your macOS Sierra drive (not the partition underneath it)

· Select Partition

· Hit the + to add a new partition for Windows, and drag the pie chart slider until the two partitions are sized appropriately

· Leave the format of the new partition as OS X Extended (Journaled) !

· Hit Apply

· With the Windows USB drive attached, restart the hackintosh

· If the BIOS does not boot the USB drive first, hit F12 and select the USB drive

· Install Windows. When you get to the pick a disk partition screen, select the partition you created for Windows above (easiest to identify by size, usually). Delete the partition, then format it. When it prompts you that Windows may create extra partitions, that's OK. Then select the new big partition it created to install to.

· After the first reboot during the Windows install, if your hackintosh is set to boot USB devices first, you will need to remove the USB drive. If you missed it and you're back at the "choose a language" installer screen, remove the USB and reboot to boot to the new install and continue the process.

You should now be able to boot to both Windows and macOS !

NOTE: If you plan on dual booting it is important to install macOS first as it can behave strangely if the SSD was not formatted by disk utility. If you have 2 windows entries in the clover boot loader screen, open Clover configurator, navigate to your config.plist and uncheck ‘Legacy’ in the scan section.

Last edited:
Thank you for your guide!
Would you mind attaching the files you mentioned in the post? :)
I will try if this guide also works for High Sierra.

Last edited:
can we get the config.plist please? I can't even get the installer to boot without panic with the any of the manual/premade methods.

can we get the config.plist please? I can't even get the installer to boot without panic with the any of the manual/premade methods.

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Although you should read the FAQ for an overview of issues, the Clover guide is linked from the first question: "Q. Where do I start?", just after the bold face "Clover Guide".
Here is a direct link, just to be clear:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Also, your profile must be filled out with complete details as requested in the FAQ, again under "Q. Where do I start?". All seven details requested are equally important.

And if you have an issue (after following the guide), or on any other problem, you must provide a detailed description of the problem including information that helps us understand what you're doing. Always attach "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html
The required files and data are fully detailed in the last question in the FAQ:
"Q. What are typical "Problem Reporting" files?"

Have you got the multitouch on the trackpad working? I installed Mojave on the same model with the i5 processor. Very stable and most of the stuff work, but no gestures on the trackpad though. I believe it has an I2C Elan touchpad. Need to do the DSDT fixes I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back