Contribute
Register

[Guide] macOS on the ASUS-TP500LA (Broadwell Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus TP500LAB (9 series)
CPU
i5-5200U
Graphics
HD 5500
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
This Guide is made for installing macOS on the Asus TP500LA with the Broadwell i5-5200U CPU (9 series Broadwell)
with Intel HD 5500 Graphics (no Nvidia Optimus GPU)

71IKuNBv1BL._SL1500_.jpg

This Laptop works really well with macOS. Almost everything is working perfectly for me.
What's working:
  1. CPU + Proper Power Management
  2. Intel HD Graphics 5500 (1366x768) with full acceleration
  3. Keyboard and Elan Trackpad with working Gestures
  4. Ethernet
  5. Battery Status
  6. RealTek ALC233 Audio + Mic and HDMI Audio
  7. Bluetooth
  8. Wifi (when replaced by working Wifi hardware, see here)
  9. iMessage + Facetime + iCloud + Appstore (use the "Fix iMessage thread)
  10. Webcam
  11. Brightness
  12. Sleep
  13. More stuff I might forgot to mention
  14. Touchscreen (little weird though, works well when installing this driver)
What doesn't work:
  1. Handoff not working reliable (requires native Apple Wifi card)
  2. PCIE SDHC card reader

Initial Installation:

To prepare your USB flash drive, follow this excellent guide made by Rehabman. This includes all the required files needed to boot up the macOS installer and to successfully complete the installation. Once installed, go to the Post Installation section.
Important: Make sure that DVMT-prealloc memory is set to 64mb in BIOS.

Post Installation:

Now that you have macOS installed, make sure that you install Clover to your HDD. Download the latest version of Clover and install it. The requirements are as follows (to select in the customize tab in the clover installer):
  1. Installation for UEFI motherboards
  2. Install Clover to the ESP
  3. In Driver64UEFI, select OsxAptioFixDrv-64 and EmuVariableUefi-64
  4. Install RC scripts to the target volume
  5. Clover Preference Pane (optional)
Now you can click on install and Clover will be installed. Now that it's done, open the mounted EFI partition and navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 (and other) and remove any existing kext files in there. Go back to the main clover folder and replace the config.plist with the one available in the attachments.

Now, download your favorite kext utility and install all the kexts from the kext package in the attachments.

Now it's time to make your ACPI changes (the most important part):

Follow this guide by Rehabman to get all the correct acpi files. After you did that, apply the following patches available here:
  1. system_IRQ
  2. system_OSYS_win8
  3. remove_DSM
  4. usb_prw_0x0d_xhc
  5. graphics_PNLF_haswell
  6. graphics_Rename-GFX0
  7. graphics_Rename-B0D3 (make sure to replace 12, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 with 3, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 in the layout id)
  8. battery_ASUS-N55SL
  9. audio_HDEF-layout3
All the patches have a description to them, so that you understand what to do and where to apply them.
After you are done with patching, save all files with .aml extension and place them in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/.

Next, create your power management ssdt, see here.

You can also try my ACPI files from the attachments, but I strongly recommend creating your own ones, because BIOS version might differ or any other hardware installed.

Conclusion:

This Laptop has been working very well for me for more than a year now (I started with Yosemite, then El Capitan and now Sierra). I decided to create a Guide now, because now I figured out everything and the system is running stable for me.

If you need any help regarding the installation or to get thing work, just post here and I will try to help you.
I'll update this thread for any new updates and fixes.

Special thanks to Rehabman for his awesome guides and for helping me along the way.

Happy Installing!

bildschirmfoto2017-01-13um19.3.png

Attachments

• acpifiles.zip
    51.4 KB · Views: 600
  • config.plist
    8.9 KB · Views: 771
  • kext package.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 785
Last edited:
How is touch-base work with your model? It is just an evalation
The touchscreen works OOB on my system, but it is not calibrated correctly. When installing this driver, it works correctly but dies when rebooting to Windows (I usually run the driver package again and it works when I need it).

I've tried this guide, I have the non Nvidia I7 5500u version of the TP500LA. First off I tried patching my own DTST, I seemed to run into errors while patching the battery. So I've tried using your DTST. There's a great performance boost, battery shows the right amount. But I came across some problems with the DTST. My SATA drives of Windows doesn't get reckocnized anymore, audio doesn't work, touchpad doesn't work. Maybe you could help me with these problems, it would be great to have a stable Sierra.

Thanks in advance!

I've tried this guide, I have the non Nvidia I7 5500u version of the TP500LA. First off I tried patching my own DTST, I seemed to run into errors while patching the battery. So I've tried using your DTST. There's a great performance boost, battery shows the right amount. But I came across some problems with the DTST. My SATA drives of Windows doesn't get reckocnized anymore, audio doesn't work, touchpad doesn't work. Maybe you could help me with these problems, it would be great to have a stable Sierra.

Thanks in advance!
I mean DSDT ofcourse

Thanks in advance!

Battery guide is linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Always a bad idea to use patched ACPI from another computer...

Battery guide is linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Always a bad idea to use patched ACPI from another computer...
I know, I've already extracted my own DSDT. I tried to patch some things like audio or battery, but I always get the same errors while patching the battery. And when I patch the audio layout 3, my touchpad doesn't work anymore. I really don't know how to solve this regarding my specific model.

I know, I've already extracted my own DSDT. I tried to patch some things like audio or battery,but I always get the same errors while patching the battery.

Read ACPI patching guide for proper disassembly procedures.
No idea without details.

And when I patch the audio layout 3, my touchpad doesn't work anymore. I really don't know how to solve this regarding my specific model.

Touchpad not related to audio.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

This Guide is made for installing macOS on the Asus TP500LA with the Broadwell i5-5200U CPU (9 series Broadwell)
with Intel HD 5500 Graphics (no Nvidia Optimus GPU)

71IKuNBv1BL._SL1500_.jpg

This Laptop works really well with macOS. Almost everything is working perfectly for me.
What's working:
  1. CPU + Proper Power Management
  2. Intel HD Graphics 5500 (1366x768) with full acceleration
  3. Keyboard and Elan Trackpad with working Gestures
  4. Ethernet
  5. Battery Status
  6. RealTek ALC233 Audio + Mic and HDMI Audio
  7. Bluetooth
  8. Wifi (when replaced by working Wifi hardware, see here)
  9. iMessage + Facetime + iCloud + Appstore (use the "Fix iMessage thread)
  10. Webcam
  11. Brightness
  12. Sleep
  13. More stuff I might forgot to mention
  14. Touchscreen (little weird though, works well when installing this driver)
What doesn't work:
  1. Handoff not working reliable (requires native Apple Wifi card)
  2. PCIE SDHC card reader

Initial Installation:

To prepare your USB flash drive, follow this excellent guide made by Rehabman. This includes all the required files needed to boot up the macOS installer and to successfully complete the installation. Once installed, go to the Post Installation section.
Important: Make sure that DVMT-prealloc memory is set to 64mb in BIOS.

Post Installation:

Now that you have macOS installed, make sure that you install Clover to your HDD. Download the latest version of Clover and install it. The requirements are as follows (to select in the customize tab in the clover installer):
  1. Installation for UEFI motherboards
  2. Install Clover to the ESP
  3. In Driver64UEFI, select OsxAptioFixDrv-64 and EmuVariableUefi-64
  4. Install RC scripts to the target volume
  5. Clover Preference Pane (optional)
Now you can click on install and Clover will be installed. Now that it's done, open the mounted EFI partition and navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 (and other) and remove any existing kext files in there. Go back to the main clover folder and replace the config.plist with the one available in the attachments.

Now, download your favorite kext utility and install all the kexts from the kext package in the attachments.

Now it's time to make your ACPI changes (the most important part):

Follow this guide by Rehabman to get all the correct acpi files. After you did that, apply the following patches available here:
  1. system_IRQ
  2. system_OSYS_win8
  3. remove_DSM
  4. usb_prw_0x0d_xhc
  5. graphics_PNLF_haswell
  6. graphics_Rename-GFX0
  7. graphics_Rename-B0D3 (make sure to replace 12, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 with 3, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 in the layout id)
  8. battery_ASUS-N55SL
  9. audio_HDEF-layout3
All the patches have a description to them, so that you understand what to do and where to apply them.
After you are done with patching, save all files with .aml extension and place them in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/.

Next, create your power management ssdt, see here.

You can also try my ACPI files from the attachments, but I strongly recommend creating your own ones, because BIOS version might differ or any other hardware installed.

Conclusion:

This Laptop has been working very well for me for more than a year now (I started with Yosemite, then El Capitan and now Sierra). I decided to create a Guide now, because now I figured out everything and the system is running stable for me.

If you need any help regarding the installation or to get thing work, just post here and I will try to help you.
I'll update this thread for any new updates and fixes.

Special thanks to Rehabman for his awesome guides and for helping me along the way.

Happy Installing!

bildschirmfoto2017-01-13um19.3.png

Great guide!
Really detailed.
Nice work!:thumbup:

Thanks in advance!

Make sure to follow the linked guide by Rehabman on how to extract ACPI files and fixing errors. After that, apply all of the mentioned patches in my guide and you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back