Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] macOS Catalina on ASRock DeskMini 310 with 9th Gen Intel Core CPU, Dual-Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thread, thanks for posting this. It has been my reference guide for going buying some hardware. I love the small size of the DeskMini 310. I am currently waiting for all to be delivered and put it all together.
Ive never built a Hackintosh before and have a question. I have built the memory stick with Catalina and used Clover to add the EFI partition content. Now to the question - after installing Catalina, how do I go about making sure the OS disk is bootable (after install from the USB drive) and has all of the kexts etc that are needed? Without having gone through the process IRL, there is a gap here for me.
Thanks for any pointers.
Hello @user7743, thanks for your comment and congratulations for your purchase. DeskMini 310 is a very nice product.

I think the answer to your question is here:
3) After installing macOS, copy Clover Configurator and EFI.zip to the desktop and remove every connected USB pen drive. As exlpained above, don't forget to update Lilu, AppleALC and WhateverGreen kexts before moving on.
4) Open Clover Configurator and mount the macOS hard drive EFI partition. Replace the EFI folder with the one attached here, like you did in the USB pen drive before installing.
Please note that once you installed macOS Catalina, after the installation, your PC won't restart. You'll be able to log in immediately and see the Desktop, so you can proceed with the step 3) and 4) right away.

Even if you reboot after the installation, macOS should boot anyway but you'll have no graphics acceleration and other unrecognized hardware. However you'll be able to replace the EFI folder anyway, since the Desktop will load anyway.

In step 4), in case you don't find any already existing EFI folder, just install Clover on your macOS hard drive (the same Clover you installed in your USB pen drive) and then proceed with the step 4).

Please let me know if it's clearer now and/or if you have any issue with that.

Please note that once you installed macOS Catalina, after the installation, your PC won't restart. You'll be able to log in immediately and see the Desktop, so you can proceed with the step 3) and 4) right away.
Thanks @Css13, it makes perfect sense now. The bit that I was missing was that I wasn't aware that after the Catalina install you can login before the reboot. I was wondering how the hell you could run Clover Configurator from within the installer.

Thanks @Css13, it makes perfect sense now. The bit that I was missing was that I wasn't aware that after the Catalina install you can login before the reboot. I was wondering how the hell you could run Clover Configurator from within the installer.
Yes, I understand. I updated the guide to make it clearer, thanks for your suggestion.

Moreover, even if your computer restarts after the installation, you should be able to boot macOS and access the Desktop anyway.

Good luck!

@Css13 did you try the latest firmware version 4.20 or just stick with 4.10?
Also, did you get anywhere with your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth setup? I haven’t bothered with hardware for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth yet, but I'd like to get it sorted before long.

@Css13 did you try the latest firmware version 4.20 or just stick with 4.10?
Also, did you get anywhere with your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth setup? I haven’t bothered with hardware for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth yet, but I'd like to get it sorted before long.
I didn't upgrade to 4.20 and I don't plan to do it anytime soon, since looks like everything works fine for now.

About Wi-Fi/BT, as I explained in my first post, Bluetooth works perfectly without any kext and the Wi-Fi card works on Windows only. I'm afraid there's some incompatibility with the adapter I used. That's not a big issue since I use an ethernet cable on this computer, and fortunately Bluetooth works.

In case you plan to use a different card / configuration for Wi-Fi / Bluetooth, please let me know.

About Wi-Fi/BT, as I explained in my first post, Bluetooth works perfectly without any kext and the Wi-Fi card works on Windows only. I'm afraid there's some incompatibility with the adapter I used. That's not a big issue since I use an ethernet cable on this computer, and fortunately Bluetooth works.

In case you plan to use a different card / configuration for Wi-Fi / Bluetooth, please let me know.

Got it. I might give the DW1820A card a try and see how it goes. Given I am in no rush, I can order cheaply from China.

Got it. I might give the DW1820A card a try and see how it goes. Given I am in no rush, I can order cheaply from China.
Yes, at first I wanted to try with DW1820A as well, but then I read that someone was having issues with that card so I opted for the BCM94360CS2 one. But, as you can see, I had no luck (or half luck, since Bluetooth works) anyway. :thumbup::banghead:

Please let me know once you receive it if everything works as expected. Good luck once again.

Latest update... All my hardware arrived, built up while stuck in telcos and installed over lunch. I didn't time it but I'd say about 90 minutes for the build and install. So far everything seems to work without issue. Just need the DW1820A card now and I can see if that works.
Thanks @Css13 for the notes and the EFI folder - it was super helpful.

Full BOM in case it helps anyone:
  • ASRock DeskMini 310 (running firmware 4.10)
  • Intel i5-9500
  • Crucial CT2K16G4SFD8266 32GB (16GB x2)
  • WD Black SN750 M.2 500GB (WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0)
  • SanDisk SSD Plus 1TB (Sata III)
  • Noctua NH-L9i
  • DW1820A from eBay (not yet arrived)

Last edited:
Latest update... All my hardware arrived, built up while stuck in telcos and installed over lunch. I didn't time it but I'd say about 90 minutes for the build and install. So far everything seems to work without issue. Just need the DW1820A card now and I can see if that works.
Thanks @Css13 for the notes and the EFI folder - it was super helpful.

Full BOM in case it helps anyone:
  • ASRock DeskMini 310 (running firmware 4.10)
  • Intel i5-9500
  • Crucial CT2K16G4SFD8266 32GB (16GB x2)
  • WD Black SN750 M.2 500GB (WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0)
  • SanDisk SSD Plus 1TB (Sata III)
  • Noctua NH-L9i
  • DW1820A from eBay (not yet arrived)
Glad to know that, and thanks for the update.

Please let me know of DW1820A as soon as it arrives and you'll have the chance to try it.
Enjoy your DeskMini meanwhile!

Css13 have you tried the microphone works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back