Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] macOS Big Sur on ASRock DeskMini 310 with 9th Gen Intel Core CPU, Dual-Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock H310M-STX-P4.40
CPU
i5-9500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone :wave:

This is a step-by-step guide about how to install macOS Big Sur on an ASRock DeskMini 310 like mine. If you have a similar hardware configuration, it may work for you too.

Screenshot.png

Even if I wrote a similar guide on how to install macOS Catalina about one year ago, I made a clean install of macOS Big Sur. I didn't upgrade from Catalina mainly because I had to replace Clover with OpenCore and I thought it was easier to start from scratch.

HARDWARE
Case: ASRock DeskMini 310 Barebone Mini-PC
Motherboard: H310M-STX
CPU: Intel Core i5 9500 3,00 Ghz (9th Gen)
SSD1: Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD4 M.2 500 GB (Windows)
SSD2: Western Digital WDS250G1B0A Blue S-ATA 250 GB (macOS)
RAM: Crucial CT8G4SFS824A 8 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz
Wi-Fi / Bluetooth: BCM94360CS2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wi-Fi Card + BCM94360CS2 BCM943224PCIEBT2 12+6 Pin Mini-PCI to M.2 Adapter

SOFTWARE
macOS Big Sur 11.5.2
Microsoft Windows 10
OpenCore 0.7.2
OpenCore Configurator

KEXTS
AppleALC
CPUFriend
CPUFriendDataProvider
IntelMausi
Lilu
NVMeFix
SMCProcessor
SMCSuperIO
VirtualSMC
WhateverGreen

FEATURES
✔ Ethernet, Bluetooth, USB Type-C, USB Type-A, DisplayPort + Audio, Audio Ports
✔ Graphics acceleration, native Intel UHD 630
✔ Sleep / Stop
✔ iCloud, iMessage, AirDrop and every other Apple service
x Wi-Fi (works on Windows only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES
• I assume no responsibility or liability for any errors, damages or problems that may occur by consequence of following this tutorial.
• For dual-boot, two separate hard drives are needed. If you are using one hard drive with two partitions it won't work. We'll see below how to install each OS on a separate drive.
• The following instructions will also work if you want to install macOS only, without Windows and dual-boot. In this case, please skip the steps 1), 5) and 6).
• I'm not providing any detailed instructions on how to create USB installers. You'll find thousands of tutorials on the web.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE INSTALL
• Use a DisplayPort cable for installation. HDMI is not supported natively and you may not be able to install macOS if you use HDMI. If you don't want to keep using DisplayPort after the installation, you can switch to HDMI later.
• Load BIOS setup defaults and update these settings as follows:
- Advanced > Chipset Configuration > Onboard HD Audio: Enabled
- Advanced > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
- Security > Secure Boot: Disabled
- Boot > CSM: Disabled
Vt-d can remain enabled, it will work with macOS.
• Set up an USB pen drive with Windows 10 installer.
• Set up another USB pen drive with macOS 11.x installer using the 'createinstallmedia' method on Terminal. The USB stick should be in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format with GUID Partition Map.
• Use OpenCore Configurator to mount the EFI partition of this pen drive (Tools -> Mount EFI and then click on "Mount Partition" button, next to the macOS Installer USB stick you just created) and then unzip the "EFI.zip" folder attached below into this location. If you did everything correctly, you should have a partition called "EFI" with one folder in it — also called "EFI" — containing two subfolders named "BOOT" and "OC".
• Copy OpenCore Configurator tool and the EFI folder attached below to another USB drive.
• IMPORTANT: The EFI.zip file attached below was tested with macOS Big Sur 11.5.2. Before proceeding, please ensure to download and replace Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext with their latest version in the EFI/OC/Kexts path.

INSTALL
1) Install Windows 10 on the first drive.
2) Install macOS Big Sur on the second drive.
3) After installing macOS, don't restart your machine. You should be able to log in and use the OS right away. Copy OpenCore Configurator and EFI.zip to the desktop and disconnect every USB pen drive or device. Extract the EFI.zip folder and — as exlpained above — don't forget to make sure you're using the latest version of Lilu, AppleALC and WhateverGreen kexts before moving on.
4) Open OpenCore Configurator and mount the macOS hard drive EFI partition. Replace the EFI folder you'll find there with your EFI folder, like you did with the USB pen drive before installing.
5) Reboot your PC, go to BIOS and ensure that the default boot partition is macOS EFI Boot Loader on the macOS Hard Drive. Not the Windows one. Save and reboot.
6) Start Windows and install Wi-Fi and Bluethooth drivers for BCM94360CS2 card available here.
7) Enjoy!

If Windows doesn't appear on the OpenCore boot list or if you experience any errors when selecting it, you'll need to perform some additional configuration. Please carefully read and follow these instructions.

I hope you found this guide helpful. If yes, please like this post.
And if you have any suggestions on how to make my Wi-Fi card working on macOS, please let me know.

Thank you and good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks to @viorel78 for being always helpful and to appleserial for some equipment.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 649
Last edited:
Wi_Fi works OOB with BCM94360CS2 .

Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 01.34.32.png

Last edited:
Hi everyone :wave:

This is a step-by-step guide about how to install macOS Big Sur on an ASRock DeskMini 310 like mine. If you have a similar hardware configuration, it may work for you too.
Nice work! I think you're missing this ACPI patch (if you want your SSDT-GPRW to work). Without the patch, Method (XPRW) doesn't exist.

EDIT: Note that if your system is not experiencing the "Instant Wake" problem caused by USB, then you probably don't need this patch (nor do you need SSDT-GPRW).

@Css13 I'm curious (and want to learn more about ACPI patching)... When you boot with your current configuration (injecting SSDT-GPRW and missing the ACPI patch), if you boot verbose, do you see ACPI error "GPRW ALREADY_EXISTS"?

Last edited:
I'm sorry friend, I don't want to offend you, but you made a lot of wrong decisions, starting with incorrect settings in the BIOS, unnecessary ACPI tables, unnecessary kexts and ending with quirks in the config.plist
I just saw your comment and didn't realize there was another version of this EFI. Why do you define Method (DTGP)?

I just saw your comment and didn't realize there was another version of this EFI. Why do you define Method (DTGP)?

If you are asking about this table, then the method DTGP is not mandatory I wrote it following the example from Maldon
PS to find ACPI erors --in terminal
log show --predicate "processID == 0" --debug --last boot | grep ACPI

Attachments

• SSDT-H310.aml.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 183
If you are asking about this table, then the method DTGP is not mandatory I wrote it following the example from Maldon
PS to find ACPI erors --in terminal
log show --predicate "processID == 0" --debug --last boot | grep ACPI
I only asked, because Method (DTGP) is defined in the ACPI of real Macs. It's not necessary unless you use it in any of your ACPI patches (and it doesn't look like you ever use DTGP).

@viorel78 Thanks for the command to find ACPI errors! Very helpful.

Last edited:
I only asked, because Method (DTGP) is defined in the ACPI of real Macs. It's not necessary unless you use it in any of your ACPI patches (and it doesn't look like you ever use DTGP).

@viorel78 Thanks for the command to find ACPI errors! Very helpful.
someday i will rewrite the table without this method)

Wi_Fi works OOB with BCM94360CS2 .
I have the same issue I had with Catalina last year. Bluetooth works on macOS and the card is active and successfully detected (from "System Report"), but it doesn't detect any Wi-Fi network. On Windows, both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi work perfectly fine. At this point I am unable to understand if it's a hardware issue or not (but how/why should Wi-Fi work on Windows, then?).
I'm sorry friend, I don't want to offend you, but you made a lot of wrong decisions, starting with incorrect settings in the BIOS, unnecessary ACPI tables, unnecessary kexts and ending with quirks in the config.plist
if you trust me, you can make some changes in your post (if you agree I'll tell you what to change), take my efi folder from the topic about catalina, add your data to the Generic in config.plist, (your can leaving model 19.1) test for several days, I can justify your mistakes in the settings, but this will take some time to translate to english :headbang:
Dear @viorel78, I'm more than happy to hear your suggestions. I'm unexperienced with Hackintosh and OpenCore in particular, so please don't hesitate to share your thoughts. This afternoon I already downloaded your EFI from the Catalina thread, I made a couple of very minor adjustments (like replacing the Generic section in config.plist file and the background color of the OpenCore boot picker) and I agree it's cleaner and working better than my EFI. If you could share your BIOS settings too, I would like to edit the steps and replace my EFI attachment with yours in the guide (and mention/credit you, of course) if it's ok for you. Thank you.
@Css13 I'm curious (and want to learn more about ACPI patching)... When you boot with your current configuration (injecting SSDT-GPRW and missing the ACPI patch), if you boot verbose, do you see ACPI error "GPRW ALREADY_EXISTS"?
Hi @deeveedee, before replacing my EFI folder again (so, with the missing ACPI patch), I saved the verbose boot log to double check that. You can find all the "GPRW"-related strings here:
0x71 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) SSDT 0x000000007E0FC000 000061 (v02 hack?? _GPRW??? 00000000 INTL 20180427)
0x71 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) SSDT 0x000000007E0FC000 000061 (v02 hack?? _GPRW??? 00000000 INTL 20180427)
0x71 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) (SSDT:_GPRW???) while loading table
0x71 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) (SSDT:_GPRW???) while loading table
As you can see, there's nothing related to the "ALREADY_EXISTS" error but I hope you can find it useful.

Hi @deeveedee, before replacing my EFI folder again (so, with the missing ACPI patch), I saved the verbose boot log to double check that. You can find all the "GPRW"-related strings here:
As you can see, there's nothing related to the "ALREADY_EXISTS" error but I hope you can find it useful.
It looks like there might be some other log entries that give a clue about the SSDT-GPRW loading error. Without seeing the supporting lines, it does appear that there's an error injecting GPRW (which is what would be expected wiithout the patch). If you still want your SSDT-GPRW replacement, be sure to include the patch in your config.plist. See full documentation here.

@Css13 you already mentioned me in your post so that's enough:angel:

- no need to turn off vt-d
if vt-d is off in windows 10 it will be impossible to enable the sandbox or any other virtualisation software. vt-d works fine in mac os
- CSM - disabled
- C States Support: Auto

about ACPI tables
Open Core works only with .aml
- SSDT-PM.aml - I don't know where you got it but this table is for Intel 100 chipset. we use 300 serises chipset. All tables in OC folder must be have code if OSI darwin - otherwise wil be affected windows and we get BSOD
- SSDT-USBX must be obligatory for corect power menegment usb ports otherwise charging iphone /ipad is not possible, possible shutdowns portable external harddrives, sticks
- xhci unsoported kext- This kext was developed when Intel released 300 chipset at that time in apples kext were absent some ID for usb controllers but after
a few months later, Apple released new mac with a 300 chipset (imac 19.1, macmini8.1) that ID present in apples kexts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back