Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] macOS Big Sur 11 on Z390 Aorus Elite board

i tried everything, but no matter what i do, i am not able to get imessage working, i have installed catalina on other SSD with clover installed, it got imessage working on the first try, but i tried everything as mentioned on opencore fixing imessage services, i am not able to get this thing working.. can you please help me what i can do to get it working?
Thankyou

@blackdbird
Everything I have done to make iMessage work on my PC is on the Dortania website "Fixing iMessage and other services with OpenCore".

1. Serial number

I use a serial number appropriate to my SMBIOS. Generate a few with corpnewt's GenSMBIOS tool and check them on the Apple Check Coverage page to choose one that displays the message "We're sorry, but this serial number isn't valid." Another option is to choose a number that displays the message "Purchase Date not Validated" but has the disadvantage that it can be activated at any time on another Mac and cause interference with Apple services. What to avoid are numbers with the message "Valid Purchase date", these are already or have been activated on another Mac.

2. Ethernet as en0

I have the ethernet card as en0. If you only use Wi-Fi and you have Eth disabled or does not exist, you can use NullEthernet.kext and SSDT-RMNE.aml to create a fake Eth that can be assigned the BSD name en0. If you only use Wi-Fi and you also have Eth enabled, you also have to try to make Eth en0.

3. MAC address as ROM

I don't need to have the MAC address of my Eth card in config.plist because iMessage works fine without this option, but if necessary, you have to fill the ROM key in PlatformInfo with the MAC address (only numbers, no other characters).

4. NVRAM active

I have NVRAM native thanks to SSDT-PMC.aml, without this option it is difficult to get iMassage to work well.

It is useful to review the final part of the Dortania guide (Clean out old attempts, Verifying your work one last time ...).

Anyway, I have not left that guide from the creators of OpenCore and with it iMessage app works well. I don't know what else to say, clean out old attempts and follow the steps one by one because you have to get it.

mensaje.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll try if your EFi works with my config. Already have the MSR unlocked, the problem with Clover seems to be that I can't get the Quirks config right

Modified post number 1 to add more detailed information about some aspects of Big Sur installation: hardware, BIOS, config.plist, M.2 disk ...

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just picked up this board (Z390 Aorus Elite) and HAD a working Catalina install with OC 0.5.4 or similar. I updated to OC 0.6.4 without issue, then tried to install Big Sur via software update. I had a backup USB system to keep booting OC with, but the installation didn't work. I have updated my BIOS to f10g and turned off CFG Lock as well as made the other changes in the initial post.

I use a SATA SSD for Catalina/future Big Sur and currently, my Big Sur installation on the Z390 is hanging on the deprecated SATA driver "AppleIntelPCHSeriesAHCI"... Would it be easier to install on PCIe M.2, or use my rMPB to create a full BS drive and move it over to my Z390? Thanks for your help.

Hey guys, I just picked up this board (Z390 Aorus Elite) and HAD a working Catalina install with OC 0.5.4 or similar. I updated to OC 0.6.4 without issue, then tried to install Big Sur via software update. I had a backup USB system to keep booting OC with, but the installation didn't work. I have updated my BIOS to f10g and turned off CFG Lock as well as made the other changes in the initial post.

I use a SATA SSD for Catalina/future Big Sur and currently, my Big Sur installation on the Z390 is hanging on the deprecated SATA driver "AppleIntelPCHSeriesAHCI"... Would it be easier to install on PCIe M.2, or use my rMPB to create a full BS drive and move it over to my Z390? Thanks for your help.
It has to work fine on the SSD drive just as it should work fine on a M.2 PCIe drive.

That error message seems to have to do with the change in the SATA driver from Catalina to Big Sur.
What do you have in the Kexts folder? Upload the config.plist file here for review.

I copied the EFI folder in your first post and only changed Serial and Identifier Info to match my Catalina build. I'm using the iMac 19,1 SMBIOS.

Weird thing is, I'm able to boot to recovery 11.0.1 ad reinstall it just fine.... but it won't make it past the last reboot into the OS.

I copied the EFI folder in your first post and only changed Serial and Identifier Info to match my Catalina build. I'm using the iMac 19,1 SMBIOS.

Weird thing is, I'm able to boot to recovery 11.0.1 ad reinstall it just fine.... but it won't make it past the last reboot into the OS.
Do you install Big Sur and have active screen until last reboot of the installation, the one that gives way to the configuration options (icloud, siri, etc.) or do you can enter the first time into the Big Sur desktop and in the first restart with the system installed is when it fails and hangs?

I guess you do but: do you rename the kext USBMap-imac.kext to USBMap.kext, delete USBMap-imacpro.kext and rename config-imac.plist to config.plist?

Try deleting the PciRoot (0x0)/Pci(0x17,0x0) key in DeviceProperties> Add that refers to the SATA controller and it is not necessary.

Thank you so much! Deleting the pci key got me past that and into Big Sur. I was booting to a black screen on my 5700XT but realized I mis-spelled "agdpmod=pikera" which was causing the problem. I'm up and going, everything's working! Might map the USB ports differently so that the USB 3.0's on my case work, but otherwise I've got what I need. Thanks again for the guide/EFI folder!

Thank you so much! Deleting the pci key got me past that and into Big Sur. I was booting to a black screen on my 5700XT but realized I mis-spelled "agdpmod=pikera" which was causing the problem. I'm up and going, everything's working! Might map the USB ports differently so that the USB 3.0's on my case work, but otherwise I've got what I need. Thanks again for the guide/EFI folder!
:thumbup:
Enjoy your hackintosh!!!

Back