Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] macOS Big Sur 11 on Z390 Aorus Elite board

Anyway, here goes the EFI with those changes, you see that alcid=11 is added in boot-args and AppleALC.kext is added into the Kexts folder and also in config.plist> Kernel> Add at the end of the other kexts that already exist.
Have you enabled Audio controller in BIOS? I attach also USB and Power BIOS screens.View attachment 505078View attachment 505079
I did some more testing and after STOP the screen remains black. Shooting after the screensaver works fine however. If I can solve the "recovery after hibernation" I'm done! Thanks again for what you can advise me.
I forgot to mention that I don't use the integrated audio, for it to work you have to do 2 things:
  • add ApleALC.kext in the kexts folder and in config.plist
  • add alcid=11 in NVRAM> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F8> boot-args.
For sleep, you have to do the No-hda-gfx instead of hda-gfx change that I mentioned in my previous article. With this change the problem is usually fixed, although not always.

Don't go back to the EFi from the original post, stick with this one which is a more modern version of OpenCore and has some improvements.
I did some more testing and after STOP the screen remains black.
Shooting after the screensaver works fine however.
If I can solve the "recovery after hibernation" I'm done!

Thanks again for what you can advise me.

I did some more testing and after STOP the screen remains black. Shooting after the screensaver works fine however. If I can solve the "recovery after hibernation" I'm done! Thanks again for what you can advise me.

I did some more testing and after STOP the screen remains black.
Shooting after the screensaver works fine however.
If I can solve the "recovery after hibernation" I'm done!

Thanks again for what you can advise me.
Sorry to read this.

A second option is to buy a dGPU that works well in Catalina and Big Sur with the only condition of having Lilu and WhateverGreen. Intel integrated cards give a lot headaches. If not, there would not be so many texts on the net about Intel framebuffer patch, Intel 630 black screen, Intel 630 7mb ram, etc.

The dGPU must be AMD, Nvidia lost support after High Sierra (see note below). I and many others use RX 580 because it is the cheapest that works well in macOS, still not so cheap but some brands are something over €200.

Note: older Nvidia with Kepler chip work fine on macOS. They are all old models but for those who do not edit video or work in 3D or do tasks that require great graphic work they give very good results.
For example the GT710 1 or 2 GB DDR5 is still in stores for around €50. Although it has little memory compared to current, make no mistake, it works very well for normal use. It can be an option to disable the integrated card and test macOS while spending little money.

Last edited:
Upgrading to Big Sur 11.1 (20C69) is easy. From Software Update, 2 reboots and the new system has booted and works fine. No changes in the EFI folder.

Upgrading to Big Sur 11.2 has been easy to do.
Sotwarte Update > 2 reboots and everything seems to work fine.

After disabling Gatekeeper with the command
sudo spctl --master-disable
Downloads from the App Store did not finish.
When you re-enable it with
sudo spctl --master-enable
app downloads are working fine again.

Hi miliuco,

I have a very similar set up to you: z390 aorus elite, 9900k, 5700XT and have been using your 0.6.4 efi for a while and it's been great, thanks so much!

After a month or so (this morning), the internal nic suddenly started cycling between "cable not connected" and the "other device not responding" so I decided to upgrade to opencore 0.6.6 however I just cant get your new EFI (above) to boot. it either sends me back to the uefi F12 boot select screen, doesn't show opencore at all in bios or boots straight into windows boot manager.

Have tried a bunch of combinations of clearing cmos, coppying your EFI, replacing files from the 0.6.6 release zip, booting with all uefi choices disabled, adding the boot arg for the 5700XT, even trying a vega64. I always end up in windows.

Have you experienced anything like this? is there a way to make the bios forget windows boot manager? or manually add opencore to the uefi? or does it scan on each boot? if so, not sure why it's not detecting opencore (most of the time).

Also FYI, your SystemUUID etc are present in the EFI zip above, i've been swapping them with my own but others may not notice.

Thanks again for all your work here!

Dx

@doug86
EFI folder with 0.6.6 is the same that I use, it boots well and does not give me problems. Your hack is almost identical to mine, graphics card makes no difference because it only varies in the boot argument.
It has SMBIOS from iMac19.1. But it's easy to put iMacPro1,1 in by changing Generic section of PlatformInfo in config.plist and disabling iGPU in BIOS.
Serial numbers are not mine, I changed them to upload the EFI.

Did you do this when booting with my EFI?
  • Enter into Boot section of BIOS setup to erase entries that contain OpenCore, placing macOS disk as the first option
  • ResetNVRAM in OC menu
  • Boot into macOS
  • Configure LauncherOption and LauncherPath:
    LauncherOption = Disabled
    LauncherPath = Default
  • Reboot by removing OpenCore entries in BIOS again and cleaning NVRAM.
Only the first time you start with it. See here:

Last edited:
Back