Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] macOS Big Sur 11 on Z390 Aorus Elite board

Were you able to get onboard sound to work on Big Sur with Open Core? I dont see much discussion about in the forums.
I can have sound from the motherboard with AppleALC and layout-id 11 or 13 or 15 or 29 but always with background noise, they are low intensity but can be heard if there is no music playing. The same happened in Catalina. I have it disabled because I use a Bluetooth speaker. But on this board I have never got perfect sound.

I can have sound from the motherboard with AppleALC and layout-id 11 or 13 or 15 or 29 but always with background noise, they are low intensity but can be heard if there is no music playing. The same happened in Catalina. I have it disabled because I use a Bluetooth speaker. But on this board I have never got perfect sound.
Can you change the layout-id in Open Core configurator?

Can you change the layout-id in Open Core configurator?
I do not use OC Configurator but with text editor or plist files it is easy to do it. There are 2 ways:
  • NVRAM / Add / 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 / boot-args / alcid = 11 as String, this parameter has priority over the other, if OC detects this key, it is the one that loads; this parameter is recommended by OC developers to try different layouts until finding the right one
  • DeviceProperties / Add / PciRoot (0x0) / Pci (0x1f, 0x3) as Dictionary / layout-id = 0B000000 as Data, this parameter is recommended by OC developers for common use, OC ignores this parameter if alcid exists in boot-args.
Both parameters must not exist at the same time.
Note: in my example I have chosen 11 (0B000000) as layout and PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3) as audio path in the PCI map, use yours.

alcid.png

Hi miliuco have a nice day.
thank you so much for sharing with us. i have the same mother board and core i7 9700k cpu and sapphire rx 57 vega gpu. my question is does your efi works with me? please help me

I do not use OC Configurator but with text editor or plist files it is easy to do it. There are 2 ways:
  • NVRAM / Add / 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 / boot-args / alcid = 11 as String, this parameter has priority over the other, if OC detects this key, it is the one that loads; this parameter is recommended by OC developers to try different layouts until finding the right one
  • DeviceProperties / Add / PciRoot (0x0) / Pci (0x1f, 0x3) as Dictionary / layout-id = 0B000000 as Data, this parameter is recommended by OC developers for common use, OC ignores this parameter if alcid exists in boot-args.
Both parameters must not exist at the same time.
Note: in my example I have chosen 11 (0B000000) as layout and PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3) as audio path in the PCI map, use yours.

View attachment 498335
That worked perfect for me. I didn't have Plist edit so I used Open
Core configurator and used the same id and boot args. I have perfect sound with no static. You may just have a bad cable or something. Thanks for the Info and the help!

Hi miliuco have a nice day.
thank you so much for sharing with us. i have the same mother board and core i7 9700k cpu and sapphire rx 57 vega gpu. my question is does your efi works with me? please help me
Is it RX 57 Vega or RX 56 Vega?
I think it can work with a single change. My dGPU is RX 580 (Polaris) and it doesn't need boot-args. Yours is Vega (Navi) and you may need agdpmod=pikera in boot-args. The rest of the EFI folder can be used. Try and comment if it works well.
Note: Please tell me if you use SMBIOS from iMac19,1 with iGPU enabled in BIOS or if you prefer to use iMacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled in BIOS.

Is it RX 57 Vega or RX 56 Vega?
I think it can work with a single change. My dGPU is RX 580 (Polaris) and it doesn't need boot-args. Yours is Vega (Navi) and you may need agdpmod=pikera in boot-args. The rest of the EFI folder can be used. Try and comment if it works well.
Note: Please tell me if you use SMBIOS from iMac19,1 with iGPU enabled in BIOS or if you prefer to use iMacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled in BIOS.
Oh i’m sorry its 56 Vega, not 57. Thank you. i will let you know soon as soon possible.

That worked perfect for me. I didn't have Plist edit so I used Open
Core configurator and used the same id and boot args. I have perfect sound with no static. You may just have a bad cable or something. Thanks for the Info and the help!
You are wellcome.
Yes, I think I have a poor quality cable with bad insulation or perhaps it is the wall plug, it is a noise that seems to be of electrostatic origin. If you say that on your PC it sounds perfect, I have to try to see if I can solve it.

Back