Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] macOS 13 Ventura on Z390 Aorus Elite with RX 6600 and OpenCore 0.8.6

Alternative method to Henbury patch to avoid black screen with MacPro or iMacPro SMBIOS on Ventura (2)

There are some more advanced SSDT configurations such as SSDT-VEGA.aml which, in addition to creating devices, does so by mimicking the way real Macs are configured (EGP0 and EGP1 devices instead of BRG0).

SSDT-VEGA has the same benefits as SSDT-BRG0: Henbury patch not needed and good GeekBench 5 scores.

It also requires checking the PCI path to your graphics card. In the example code I keep the same path as in the previous SSDT-BRG0.

C-like:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "HACK", "VEGA", 0x00000000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0, DeviceObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0, DeviceObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP, DeviceObj)

Scope (\_SB)
    {
        Scope (PCI0)
        {
            Scope (PEG0)
            {
                Scope (PEGP)
                {
                    Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
                    {
                        If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                        {
                            Return (Zero)
                        }
                        Else
                        {
                            Return (0x0F)
                        }
                    }
                }

Device (EGP0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
                    Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
                    {
                        If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                        {
                            Return (0x0F)
                        }
                        Else
                        {
                            Return (Zero)
                        }
                    }

Device (EGP1)
                    {
                        Device (GFX0)
                        {
                        }

Device (HDAU)
                        {
                            Name (_ADR, One)  // _ADR: Address
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
I just received my Radeon RX 6600 XT.

I'm running Catalina OpenCore 0.8.5 with an Asus Radeon RX 570 and hope to upgrade my iMac18,3 to Ventura today.

Excuse my ignorance (it's been a While since I've dealt with compiling on a Mac) but .. is this the .aml or must this file (what what suffix) be compiled possibly with MaciASL into a .aml?

And then Where does the resulting file go?

And after I install that card there's the possibility that I won't be able to boot?

I'll use a thumb drive for the modified EFI but .. are there some steps I could take Before installing the card so that I would have a fallback to be able to boot with it installed in some fashion and Then fix any issues?

Thanks for your detailed explanation of your progress! It really influenced me to Buy that card!!

@exquirentibus

Thanks for your comments :)

All SSDTs must be compiled to aml to work with OpenCore or Clover. I write here the source code so users can read it.
Save the text as SSDT-VEGA.dsl, as plain text.
With MaciASL or Xiasl or iasl (command line) compile it to aml.
Code:
 > iasl SSSDT-VEGA.dsl

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL+ Optimizing Compiler/Disassembler version 20210930
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2021 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:     SSDT-VEGA.dsl -    2336 bytes     22 keywords     83 source lines
AML Output:    SSDT-VEGA.aml -     229 bytes      8 opcodes      14 named objects

Compilation successful. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations
SSDT-VEGA.aml must be placed into ACPI folder and also added into ACPI >> Add of config.plist.

Reboot. Try and comment.

Remember to check the PCI path to your GPU, it can be different of mine.

First time try the new card without SSDT, only agdpmod=pikera in boot args (mandatory).

Last edited:
First time try the new card without SSDT, only agdpmod=pikera in boot args (mandatory).
When I try .. how do I define success?

If it boots without issue does that mean everything is ok or are there some tests to perform to determine if it's really working ok and no memory is getting corrupted etc?

@exquirentibus
Of course, having screen with image and not black screen is the first point.
Screen resolution as expected according to type and size of the display.
User experience working with macOS: smooth animations, no glitches, color quality…
Finally testing: get GeekBench 5, try out version, and pass the Metal test to the GPU.

Of course, having screen with image and not black screen is the first point.
Screen resolution as expected according to type and size of the display.
User experience working with macOS: smooth animations, no glitches, color quality…
Finally testing: get GeekBench 5, try out version, and pass the Metal test to the GPU.
I used Just the 'agdpmod=pikera in boot args' with Monterey with a Metal Score of 86365 with GeekBench 5.

I guess my Last question is: Does that score indicate it's setup correctly?

I haven't run it more than 20 minutes but .. no crashes yet when using Logic Pro on 3 2560 x 1440 monitors?

RX 6600 XT.png

@exquirentibus
GeekBench 5 score is good, perfect. The card seems to be well installed.
Why are you going to have crashes? This card is capable of doing what you are doing, notice that the CPU and mobo aren't so powerful but the RX 6600 XT is a medium level clearly more powerful than the RX 570.

Why are you going to have crashes?
I wasn't expect Any unless I needed to do more config for the proper setup of the card!

It seemed like a Great value card without a lot of power draw. I've yet to Hear the fans?

I think I'm .. DONE!!!

Thanks for your kind advise!

@exquirentibus
Enjoy it!! Mine (I have 2 in 2 different hacks) work perfectly since 10 months ago.

You saved me! Updating to macOS 13 Ventura, and it breaks my z390 hack. I use iGPU only with HDMI, and it keeps showing black screen. I use your 0.8.6 attachment, modified the config.plist with my existing "Serial Number", etc., and it worked! Thank you so much sir!

Back