Motherboard
Sony Vaio VPCSA
CPU
i7-2620M
Graphics
6630m
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
As a progression from my first guide/project with lion, this thread is for progress with installing mountain lion.

Download pack v0.8.2 HERE: VAIOPACK.zip

This is not for the inexperienced, or anyone who can’t work though problems by themselves, as you will no doubt encounter them. Please do not do this if this is your first hackintosh.

What works fully:
  • Display (using ugly DSDT patches)
    Graphics (full QE/CI and resolution)
    Audio (No HDMI audio but its on my todo list)
    USB
    Ethernet (Using lnx2mac RTL81XX kext)
    Sleep
    Brightness
    Power button
    Battey Icon (using voodoobattery and kexts from 10.6.8 ughh)

What works partially:
  • Power management - Works enough for sleep, and changes states, but still runs much hotter than windows, and notably noisier. Fix lies in a custom SSDT or some dsdt mods for sony’s power management options.
    Trackpad - Works as a trackpad, but no gestures on SA/SB.
    Bluetooth - works, but has to be enabled in windows

What doesn't work:
  • Wifi - Intel wireless will never work on mac. I suggest an ATHEROS AR9287, super cheap on ebay, and works with dsdt edits.
    Graphics switching - probably will never work.
    USB3 - could work, many problems. Such as crashing the laptop when you insert something.

What you will need:
A usb prepared with unibeast, laptop support enabled
The latest multibeast
The attached pack.
Time (lots)
Patience (even more)

The Guide:

Pre Installation:
First you need to add the DSDT to your unibeast USB. Depending on your screen resolution, choose the correct file from the DSDT folder in the pack, and copy it to “/Extra/DSDT.aml” on the USB.

NOTE: At the time of writing, there is a bug with the laptop mode unibeast. If you have a folder "Extra" in your /Extra folder, the contents of this folder should be moved to the /Extra folder (so move /Extra/Extra/* to /Extra)

Now you need to install the “advanced mode” bios. This can be done by running the included bios updater. Providing you do not pull the power during the update, this update has no chance of damaging your laptop. However, some of the options it enables might. Use with caution.
In the bios, using the new options, we must enable AHCI mode on the IDE controller. Otherwise you will get the dreaded “waiting for root device” on boot.
That’s it for preparation, now for installing!

Installation:

This part is pretty straightforward. Boot off the unibeast USB. Select the USB in the chameleon menu, and let it boot. If it kernel panics, try again. It should eventually boot (At this point, it has a pretty high booting success rate). The installation will need a whole HDD. You can format one correctly with “Disk Utility”, an option in the menu bar when preparing to install. I have a dual boot set up, but I will not instruct you how to do this. When the install has finished, it will reboot automatically. Booting from the USB again, this time select the disk you installed to.
Congratulations, Mountain Lion is installed and somewhat functional!

Post Installation:

Copy the DSDT from your unibeast usb to the desktop. Run the multibeast installer, and select the following:

• User DSDT
• The lnx2Mac Realtek Ethernet kext
• MacBookPro8,1 smbios.plist (8,3 for SE)
• (optional) FakeSMC plugins
• (optional, but recommended) Kext utility and Show All Files. We will need a kext installer soon.

NOTE: kext utility is no longer included with multibeast, so you will need to download it separately.

After multibeast installation, drag all the kexts from the pack onto kext utility to install them.
You will then need to copy the SSDT to /Extra, and then change GeneratePStates to No and add DropSSDT set to Yes in /Extra/com.chameleon.boot.plist

SE USERS: You need to copy the Trackpad.prefPane in the Misc folder of the pack to /Library/Prefpanes

Now, reboot, and pray.

BONUS's: (wooo bonus's!) In the packs misc folder, there is a calibrated display profile, and a keyboard layout for british users, both made with love by myself. I didn't say they would be good bonus's.

Booting of a GPT disk is somewhat funny. I have an odd setup, using easyBCD to install neogrub onto my windows HDD, and then configuring neogrub to chainload chameleon on the mac HDD. The alternative is downloading modified files for a mbr installation, which should work just fine. I can post more details on this if needed.
Now lion should be running, and functionalish. Please post if you have any problems or questions, and I would appreciate the aid of anyone who has the DSDT editing knowledge to work out the problems that stop this becoming my main OS on this laptop.

I may have missed some things. If something just doesn't work for you, then please ask.

Thanks to everyone who has allowed me to get this far. Developers, dsdt hackers, I love you guys!

Known issues:
This list will be updated as stuff get fixed
If you experience any of these, please don’t bother telling me.

• Power Management (Runs hotter than it should. This is because the ATI card is always on)
    USB3 (Freezes laptop 90% of the time, VERY hit and miss. DSDT patches could help)
    Brightness (can be controlled with fn+pause and fn+delete, but doesn't survive reboots/sleep. Also brightness levels are pretty messed up, it’s far from a smooth, even scale) Working on patch.
    About this mac force close (cause known, when a certain bug gets fixed, I can fix this)
    SD card reader (it’s some kind of PCI thing by realtek, no clue about getting drivers for this)
    HDMI audio (Needs patched appleHDA and maybe another kext. Will work on it when I get sound working)
    VGA (needs a patch, deprecated with lion)
    Graphics switching (of course)

Roughly in order of priority.

DSDT development

I have created a github repo for the development of the DSDT I have created for our laptops. If you are able to contribute in any way, feel free to fork the repo and submit a pull request for your changes. The main DSDT related issues are in the readme.

https://github.com/mdlawson/vaiobook

If you dont think you currently have the knowledge to help out, but have experience in coding and want to learn how, the ACPI docs are a great place to start: http://www.acpica.org/documentation/ (really the only place to start, acpi code is hardly well documented anywhere else)

Changelog

v0.8.2 Added VoodooBattery and old AppleACPIPlatform from 10.6.8, not pretty, but works for now. Ill try and get a DSDT+AppleSmartBatteryManager based solution working
v0.8.1 Added old appleHDA, screen brightness restore on wake
v0.8.0 Initial version for 10.8.0.
v0.6.0: Updated for 10.7.4, added SSDT, better trackpad kexts for SA/SB.
v0.5.5: Added new FakeSMC, fixes graphic glitches. Reverted to recommending old PS2 kexts for compatibility. As soon as I establish how to get the new ones working, Those will be recommended. Added HWMonitor for checking temps/clock speed
v0.5.1: Fixed some minor formatting issues, maybe fixed reports of black screen on SB?
v0.5: Added ATI power off code, fixed a stupid error in my build system

Hi, could this work with vaio vpcs12c5e?

Is is possible to upgrade from Lion

CyberWalrus,

Thanks much for taking the effort to the Mountain Lion. For those of us followed your instruction to install Lion, is is possible just to upgrade to 10.8 rather than a new install?

CyberWalrus,

Thanks much for taking the effort to the Mountain Lion. For those of us followed your instruction to install Lion, is is possible just to upgrade to 10.8 rather than a new install?

Unsure. with all my hackintoshes, I've always gone for a clean install on major OS versions. I guess you could try the upgrade option, but I really don't know if it will work. Its probably safer just to bite the bullet, back up your user folder and /Applications, and then do the reinstall.

I have a vaio VGN-SZ5XWN. Will this work?
I have been having some problems: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-problem-booting-after-easybeast-install.html <--- Click Here...
I don't have a DSDT...
Thanks for your help.
kourbou

Sorry, no, your machine is completely incomparable. May I suggest that if you don't know if a guide could apply to your machine, it probably doesn't?
Looking at your error though, you might want to try creating a DSDT patched with some generic patches. Basically download the DSDT editor here olarila.com &bull; View topic - DSDT editor and patcher extract your dsdt, and then apply all of the patches in the Notebook Core 2 ICH8/Notebook Core 2 ICH9 folder. I don't know what sata controller you have, so I cant really say which.
Good luck!

Sorry, no, your machine is completely incomparable. May I suggest that if you don't know if a guide could apply to your machine, it probably doesn't?
Looking at your error though, you might want to try creating a DSDT patched with some generic patches. Basically download the DSDT editor here olarila.com &bull; View topic - DSDT editor and patcher extract your dsdt, and then apply all of the patches in the Notebook Core 2 ICH8/Notebook Core 2 ICH9 folder. I don't know what sata controller you have, so I cant really say which.
Good luck!

Sorry for disturbing again.
Ok thanks for the info i found this on the web: http://www.kamineko.org/dsdt-vaio/VGN-SZ4XWNC-R0111N0.dsl
Do you think i could possibly use it?
I am going to try to do fresh install and see if maybe some of your kexts in the VAIOPACK.zip might help.
Thanks for your help.

Oh and also i found something about the wifi on the Intel 3945 right here: VoodooWireless for Lion 32 and 64-bit - Downloads - OSx86.net
It might work on Vaio laptops...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back