Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Z50-70/Z40-70/G50-70/G40-70 using Clover UEFI

Here you go!
OC-0.6.3 working EFI for Big Sur. This is a slight modified version of @Mikorist 's one.
  • You have to fill PlatformInfo section by yourself
  • UpdateSMBIOSMode is set to "Custom" and Kernel->Quirks->CustomSMBIOSGuid is set to true: this won't pass SSDTs to other OSes and you'll be able to boot Windows/Linux "natively" from OC. Breaks BootCamp
  • OpenCanopy is enabled but you need to fill OC/Resources subfolders
  • Should work with Catalina too
I am working on a new EFI with some custom SSDT, proper USB mapping, VoodooPS2 (Enables touchpad gestures for me) and AppleALC (microphone issues atm). I am facing sleep issues, so I won't share it yet.
@Mikorist if you want to help me improve the EFI, send me a PM.
I'm not getting Ethernet.
Any suggestions?

I'm having RealtekRTL8111.kext in EFI/OC/Kexts

I'm not getting Ethernet.
Any suggestions?

I'm having RealtekRTL8111.kext in EFI/OC/Kexts
Coincidentally the latest version of RealtekRTL8111.kext doesn't work on my desktop so you may be having the same problem. Try an older version.

Hello, does this guide can be used to install macOS big sur?

Hello, does this guide can be used to install macOS big sur?
No, but you can try using a working Big Sur efi. There are some attached in previous posts.
Or you can use the guide to install Catalina, switch from Clover to OpenCore and upgrade to Big Sur

No, but you can try using a working Big Sur efi. There are some attached in previous posts. Or you can use the guide to install Catalina, switch from Clover to OpenCore and upgrade to Big Sur

I have low microphone sound issue on discord etc. Siri works just perfectly but on other applications i cant use device's microphone properly. I tried every efi but i cant fix can anybody help me ?

Here you go!
OC-0.6.3 working EFI for Big Sur. This is a slight modified version of @Mikorist 's one.
  • You have to fill PlatformInfo section by yourself
  • UpdateSMBIOSMode is set to "Custom" and Kernel->Quirks->CustomSMBIOSGuid is set to true: this won't pass SSDTs to other OSes and you'll be able to boot Windows/Linux "natively" from OC. Breaks BootCamp
  • OpenCanopy is enabled but you need to fill OC/Resources subfolders
  • Should work with Catalina too
I am working on a new EFI with some custom SSDT, proper USB mapping, VoodooPS2 (Enables touchpad gestures for me) and AppleALC (microphone issues atm). I am facing sleep issues, so I won't share it yet.
@Mikorist if you want to help me improve the EFI, send me a PM.
Thanks! Could you elaborate on how to 'fill in PlatformInfo'? I used OpenCore Configurator to fill it in but it doesn't seem to save it to the config.plist.

EDIT: Got it to save to the config but it doesn't seem to be applied. With Custom mode it says OPENCORE_SN1 and with mode create it says unavailable.
EDIT2: I now looked into bhedge's config and used his PlatformInfo (with my serial and uuid) and it now seems to work!
Hi folks

Like daigosx I've got my Z50-70 working with Big Sur OpenCore 0.6.3 using Mikorist's EFI as the base (big thanks to Mikorist). Everything appears to work including sleep/wake, battery/power management and FaceTime/iMessage.

My machine still has the original AR9565 wifi card which only has limited OS X support, I used to have it working in High Sierra but am still working on it in Big Sur. If someone has a solution to this please post it!

Cheers
Benny Hedge

Last edited:
Like I said in my previous post, I have now switched to OpenCore using daigosx and bhedge's EFIs as baseline. I updated OC to 0.6.5 and am mostly pretty happy. Thanks!

However, there are some minor inconveniences with this 10.15.7-OC setup:
1) The trackpad scrolling seems to be on or off (scrolling until I change directions or lift my fingers) unlike how it was using VoodooPS2Controller (I tried that one but clicking doesn't work on it).
2) Volume and brightness keys now default to incremental steps instead of whole segments at a time unless CMD is being held at the same time (the reverse of previous behaviour). Also, holding Shift does not make a sound anymore.
3) The DVD drive doesn't seem to work anymore. Nevermind, actually, restarting with the DVD inside fixed it.
4) The right Option key doesn't seem to be working
5) HDMI sound is not working / doesn't show up
6) Closing the lid doesn't put laptop to sleep

Is there anything I can do about these issues? Or is that just how it is going to be?

Last edited:
I just tried booting with the HDMI connected, as rebooting with a DVD inside seem to have helped with recognising the DVD with issue 3) in my last post, and I get a kernel panic around mid-way through booting... There seems to be something not quite right with the HDMI. Does anybody recognise these symptoms (no HDMI audio + kernel panic at boot when HDMI connected)?

Back