Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Yoga C930-13IKB (4K/i7-8550u) 99% working, updated 7 Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short and sad update. I flashed the bios twice and somehow killed it completely. The bios chip is fine but the laptop refuses to power on at all and had that awful burning smell of a capacitor that has just popped.
I'm so sad. I really loved this laptop. Thanks navaira for inspiring me to get it and to everyone else who supported me along the way.
****. I'm so sorry to hear that :/ Do you happen to still have warranty? MAYBE Lenovo will do something for you…

I'm keeping the 48Hz for now, until someone figures out a way for lazy people to get 60Hz ;) (or until I buy the 14" Mx Macbook Pro when it comes out) I have no problems and don't notice any difference.

Elvisior, that is terrible news! I hope you find a decent replacement.

MrGeque when I updated to the newest version of Lilu, the computer did boot and it appeared that it was running at 60Hz, but I would need to perform tests to verify that as it no longer listed the frequency under Displays in System Reports. I'm still on OC 0.6.4 and may experiment with updating at some point to see if anything improves.
The two places the machine would hang in startup were AppleHDAEngineInput: PerformFormatChange (not an issue for whatever reason before updating WEG and Lilu) and IODisplayWrangler ('busy timeout'). I could include more code related to the long hangtime but I haven't seen anyone else with these issues and feel that I may need to improve my OC folder before proceeding.

Last edited:
I think I'm just going to keep 48Hz. I don't notice any difference at all. The laptop runs cooler and I wonder if it's related – less work for that excuse for a CPU.

Hiya, got the same model and picked up the latest EFI folder by Silent99, page 12, here.

I could install the latest Big Sur no problem, directly to the original SSD. Yet, when I login I have trouble with the touchpad for some reason. When I use the left click on the touchpad on the bottom bar, it actually does a gesture swipe, the triple swipe down. So, when I click Firefox on the bottom bar, it shows FireFox' windows, rather than just opening Firefox.

Is there a way to edit the gestures, per VoodooIC, or something? I thought you would all have that set up, or is it a problem I'm facing?

What do you use to remap keyboard keys?

The macOS loading also is slowed down significantly by Busy timeout[0], (60s): 'BAT1', 'IODisplayWrangler'. I also don't see battery status.

I'm running the latest BIOS, I think 21' of January. OpenCore 0.6.8. All latest kexts.

Did anyone get Thunderbolt working? I would like to invest some time in it, when no one has yet.

Last edited:
I think the latest BIOS might be the problem :/ but let me see what I've got here.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 13.58.24.png

(The SMC sensor kexts don't work, but I was too lazy to remove them, I don't like changing things that work.)

The battery status is handled by the DSDT for me, same as the trackpad. But your DSDT is going to be different, especially since you've updated the BIOS. I'm afraid you might (MIGHT) have to rip it again and reapply all my patches from the original post. I know OpenCore manual goes into great pains to explain how very much you don't need the DSDT, well, I do…

Small update: I found the BAT1 fix, didn't notice it on Page 13. It reinstates battery life, the battery button in SysPrefs, the Bluetooth functionality (and SysPref) as well. It seems it fixed the power management issue as well, yes.

My remaining issues would be the trackpad malfunctioning a bit, and the occassional flickering of the screen, also related to the 48Hz refresh rate? It seems prevalent for everyone?

I managed to get the trackpad troubles down to only when I normally click (left / tap) something on the bottom app bar, it tries to show the windows of the selected app rather than opening it freshly or whatever is active. I believe it's triple swipe down, but I can't seem to turn it off. Something similar happens when in Finder and double-clicking, it tries to rename rather than open the file.

I did get trackpad settings back after fixing BAT1 as well, which is quite nice.

Update: I fixed the flickering, it seems, by choosing a different scaling resolution than 1080p (2048x1152). Still at 48Hz, regardless of the settings applied from post #127 (page 13, Mrgeque)

Last edited:
I'm on 1504x846, my old eyes prefer that. No flickering.

The trackpad, weirdly, used to have issues for me – it would sometimes stop working after sleep and I'd need to use a mouse to reboot the laptop – but they fixed themselves somehow by using @Silent99's set of files, then replacing the DSDT/SSDTs. I am not complaining, but I have no idea why it works.

Aha, I am using BetterTouchTool for right-click and I have only the bottom-right corner set (not the 1/4 of the trackpad Lenovo decided was the right solution, making me constantly right-click things without wanting to). And for key remapping I use Karabiner-Elements.

I'm at a loss still why my normal left click wouldn't work on the (standardly) bottom icon bar. It just goes to the 'windows of the program' screen, not just a simple left click. Is it fixable? Where should I look?

With BetterTouchTool I don't yet understand how to segment the trackpad and add different functionality to each part.

About to jump in but have a few questions - I see from this last page there are (likely) some updates to the original post, is that right?

Is the original post still valid?
I see a comment that you can use the internal NVMe, is that correct?
Do I need a "real" Mac or another running Mac for anything? (as I don't)
What's the best version of OS X to run at this point?

My single goal is to run Garage Band with an external USB<>XLR mixer for audio recording (and general computing) - I see that audio works, just not the built in mics which is fine, any ideas if this would work? It's a standard USB A device, I think even 1.0 as it's about 10 years old (and worked perfectly in the past on old Macbooks).

Thanks for any advice you can offer - this would be my first Hackintosh but I've worked in the industry for 25 years so I'm a quick study, so long as I have good information (which this thread seems to have).

Thanks!

~Exigeous
Big Sur is the best for me now. Everything works using Opencore boot loader. This link will guide:

I must apologise… but… I moved on to an M1 Air. The Yoga got so hot under load that I could fry eggs on it (not unusual with Intel processors). The Air is silent and the only time it got warm was in the beginning, when it was indexing + downloading photos + downloading emails + I was reinstalling apps + I was copying everything (I didn't restore from backup, did a fresh install). The Yoga is still a perfectly functional Hacbook, but it's now my backup machine. Good to see the flag carried on :)

I wonder if Intel will *ever* catch up with the Mx processors.

Good hack everyone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back