Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Yoga C930-13IKB (4K/i7-8550u) 99% working, updated 7 Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh crap!!!

I tried to downgrade the BIOS and bricked it.
What do I do?!?
:((((
Damn. I have no clue :(

Still stuck on ALF after remaking the installer, copying all changed options from @Silent99's config.plist, formatting the external drive, reinstalling.

Edit: debug version… crashes?

280:389 00:030 OCSB: Secure boot is disabled, skipping
280:422 00:032 OCB: Arch filtering 28E29018(20484)->28E29018(20484) caps 4 - Success
280:452 00:030 OCB: Matching <> args on type 1 0
280:481 00:029 OCSB: Secure boot is disabled, skipping
280:508 00:027 OCB: Arch filtering 0(495616)->28D6E018(495616) caps 4 - Success
280:542 00:033 OCM: Failed to start image - Already started
280:569 00:027 BS: Failed to start OpenCore image - Already started

*reboots*

Last edited:
Damn. I have no clue :(

Still stuck on ALF after remaking the installer, copying all changed options from @Silent99's config.plist, formatting the external drive, reinstalling.

Edit: debug version… crashes?

280:389 00:030 OCSB: Secure boot is disabled, skipping
280:422 00:032 OCB: Arch filtering 28E29018(20484)->28E29018(20484) caps 4 - Success
280:452 00:030 OCB: Matching <> args on type 1 0
280:481 00:029 OCSB: Secure boot is disabled, skipping
280:508 00:027 OCB: Arch filtering 0(495616)->28D6E018(495616) caps 4 - Success
280:542 00:033 OCM: Failed to start image - Already started
280:569 00:027 BS: Failed to start OpenCore image - Already started

*reboots*
I can post the EFI from my installer as well, as that will probably have a slightly different config.plist and you can try that. I do want to mention that upon my first install as soon as I was able to boot into Big Sur I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my macOS partition to a backup. At the time, it was just to boot off an external drive until I was certain I had Big Sur working decently. When restarting into Big Sur I could never get it to load up, but when I loaded the CCC backup on my external drive it booted perfectly well. I then cloned that back over the top of my internal SSD install and never had a problem booting again. My cloning was on the final step of install, where the OS itself is accessible and there is no prompt to restart. I'm not sure why this worked or what step I overrode, but it gives me a functioning install that I can update. I also changed the scaling to 2048 x 1152 to reduce the flickering which now only occurs on some videos but not in regular laptop use. I'm using the newest BIOS with no problems. I thought the BIOS f'ed up my system, but that's just because I had the OC menu set to hidden and after the BIOS update OC was no longer defaulting to Big Sur but to Windows.

Here's the version I use for my installer, I don't think I changed much though.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    19.2 MB · Views: 206
Oh crap!!!

I tried to downgrade the BIOS and bricked it.
What do I do?!?
:((((
If you don't have any software options, you could use a CH341a to write directly to the chip by opening the back of the laptop. The kit is probably around 15 bucks.

Ex. on YouTube (not sure if I'm allowed to submit links so will give title for you to search):

How to use a BIOS flasher w/ Test clip to flash BIOS and EEPROM chips in Linux/Windows​

The lens on my phone cam got crunched but here is a fuzzy picture of the BIOS chip, not to be confused with the identical EEPROM (in photo chip is directly to right of heat sink screw):

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpeg
    IMG_2698.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I can post the EFI from my installer as well, as that will probably have a slightly different config.plist and you can try that. I do want to mention that upon my first install as soon as I was able to boot into Big Sur I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my macOS partition to a backup. At the time, it was just to boot off an external drive until I was certain I had Big Sur working decently. When restarting into Big Sur I could never get it to load up, but when I loaded the CCC backup on my external drive it booted perfectly well. I then cloned that back over the top of my internal SSD install and never had a problem booting again. My cloning was on the final step of install, where the OS itself is accessible and there is no prompt to restart. I'm not sure why this worked or what step I overrode, but it gives me a functioning install that I can update. I also changed the scaling to 2048 x 1152 to reduce the flickering which now only occurs on some videos but not in regular laptop use. I'm using the newest BIOS with no problems. I thought the BIOS f'ed up my system, but that's just because I had the OC menu set to hidden and after the BIOS update OC was no longer defaulting to Big Sur but to Windows.

Here's the version I use for my installer, I don't think I changed much though.
Thank you!

The installer goes through, both first and second pass. I can't boot, though – can that be a third install pass?

I've also been looking at this log and "Waiting for DSMOS" appears right before – not sure whether that's coincidental. VirtualSMC is in, I tried FakeSMC as well, but that's not it.

So what you have done was – you installed Big Sur on an external drive, passed the first boot correctly (the process I seem to be failing at), and then you used CCC? If yes, then I'd love your install EFI folder, please – I am completely stumped (and I hate it when machines don't do what I want).

Keeping fingers crossed, @elvisior!

Thank you!

The installer goes through, both first and second pass. I can't boot, though – can that be a third install pass?

I've also been looking at this log and "Waiting for DSMOS" appears right before – not sure whether that's coincidental. VirtualSMC is in, I tried FakeSMC as well, but that's not it.

So what you have done was – you installed Big Sur on an external drive, passed the first boot correctly (the process I seem to be failing at), and then you used CCC? If yes, then I'd love your install EFI folder, please – I am completely stumped (and I hate it when machines don't do what I want).

Keeping fingers crossed, @elvisior!
I installed Big Sur to my internal and CCC'd it immediately to an external as soon as I had full access to the OS, then I CCC'd it back and overwrote the original partition. I'm pretty sure that's at the end of second boot? After you are asked to enter region, user info, etc.

Thanks! ch341a kit ordered... and a screw driver set because I can't find my awesome all in one thing that I used previously...

You should be able to run Flashrom from just about any computer with a LiveUSB of a Linux distro.

Last edited:
I installed Big Sur to my internal and CCC'd it immediately to an external as soon as I had full access to the OS, then I CCC'd it back and overwrote the original partition. I'm pretty sure that's at the end of second boot? After you are asked to enter region, user info, etc.
Ooop. I don't really dare to install it to the internal. Do you think that could be the problem? This is before the first boot, or rather on its way there. The laptop reboots twice, completes (or so it seems) the install, then craps itself before getting further.

It's driving me crazy that according to Google the ALF thing doesn't seem to have ever troubled anyone but me.

Just to make absolutely 105% sure – you also have the 4K model? Does it run Big Sur at 60Hz?

Thanks! ch341a kit ordered... and a screw driver set because I can't find my awesome all in one thing that I used previously...
Keeping fingers crossed – please let us know how it goes. I have second-hand anxiety going on. Hoping you can get it fixed!

Try cloning it to a second external. If the cloned external won't boot up, you may be facing a different issue anyhow. I had cloned to an external originally just to play with the install while still being able to run my normal system while debugging the upgrade. It just turned out that the cloned version booted right up with no work, so I took a risk and cloned it back and had no issues after. My theory was that this had something to do with my highly partitioned system but I have never tried just installing to an external and I may not have faced any of these issues had I installed to a dedicated external without partitions already set up. Hard to say. I'm pretty sure that Big Sur only runs at 48Hz unless someone has come up with a workaround in the last few months and I didn't notice. Yes, the system is 4k, I'm pretty sure we have the same model.

Okay, I just used a real Macbook to install it on an external drive, then copied the EFI. Trackpad doesn't work and somehow wifi did at first boot, but not at second (swapping places with bluetooth). Will play with it further. Haven't tried iMessage or anything else yet. Even the actual Macbook had problems with the install, I needed to hold the power button and force restart, but eventually it worked.

I had the screen blink at original resolution, but when using scaled it looks good – I think, only used it for a minute or so to see if it's working at all. :) No idea if it's 48kHz, it probably is, but I can't tell the difference until I try to use actual software.

Edit: I copied your EFI with my serials and everything works. :) Thank you! I'll probably keep BS on an external drive for now, to play with, I have Mojave running perfectly. I seem to notice the 48Hz a bit when scrolling/watching videos, but it's not like I can't possibly use the laptop. Also, maybe it's because at the moment it's not running anything but Spotlight, but it seems cooler.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back