Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro El Capitan using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guide is for El Capitan.
Why are you taking advice for El Capitan so literally when you're running High Sierra?

There isn't an updated guide for this laptop and I don't know all the ins and outs of what's different, so I have to follow the guide for El Capitan and see what does and doesn't apply to HS to fill the gaps in the posted known issues with HS. If I were an expert and knew everything already I wouldn't be asking questions, so please bear with me when do something that may seem obviously wrong to you.

Yeah that's what I followed

DVMT-prealloc setting *must* match the patch you have for the framebuffer.

It does

There isn't an updated guide for this laptop and I don't know all the ins and outs of what's different, so I have to follow the guide for El Capitan and see what does and doesn't apply to HS to fill the gaps in the posted known issues with HS. If I were an expert and knew everything already I wouldn't be asking questions, so please bear with me when do something that may seem obviously wrong to you.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-some-unsolved-problems-in-10-12-sierra.202316/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-problems-in-10-13-high-sierra.233582/

Yeah that's what I followed

You mentioned using MaciASL to generate SSDT. That is not recommended in the PM guide.
And you don't even need ssdtPRgen.sh. You can just use SSDT-PluginType1.aml (as per PM guide).

For you to verify (not possible for me to check).

These are great resources and I have read through them, but they are not 100% comprehensive.

You mentioned using MaciASL to generate SSDT. That is not recommended in the PM guide.
And you don't even need ssdtPRgen.sh. You can just use SSDT-PluginType1.aml (as per PM guide).

I mentioned MaciASL wasn't going to work, so I never actually used it. ssdtPRGen took care of it.

Back to my earlier question: What direction should I be taking to troubleshoot the graphics glitches I mentioned earlier?

CPU PM implemented via ssdtPRGen

Sorted order should be implemented: all relevant SSDTs are created and in ACPI patched and #SortedOrder list in clover is edited to reflect them

Logic pro graphics issue as stated in previous post and minor similar glitches in various GUI elements around the system still apply

I've noticed that every once in a while when closing a program (textedit, MACiasl, finder) the screen will go black for an instant and return to normal

Updated problem reporting files attached

Problems/comments:
- ForceKextsToLoad, as per guide, is only for pre-install. Should be removed post-install.
- try 128mb DVMT-prealloc (and associated patch)

Last edited:
Problems/comments:
- ForceKextsToLoad, as per guide, is only for pre-install. Should be removed post-install.
- wrong patch for DVMT-prealloc 96mb
- try 128mb DVMT-prealloc (and associated patch)

ForceKextToLoad removed

I fixed the DVMT-Prealloc patch a while back. No idea why it was wrong in the config.plist when I zipped it up.

Would I have to re-extract and patch SSDTs after changing DVMT-Prealloc in BIOS?

I fixed the DVMT-Prealloc patch a while back. No idea why it was wrong in the config.plist when I zipped it up.

It is possible I just got frustrated looking at your KextsToPatch, as you have a bit of a mess there.
You should eliminate patches that don't apply to the ig-platform-id you're using and remove patches that you have disabled. Easier to focus on what you're actually doing that way.

Would I have to re-extract and patch SSDTs after changing DVMT-Prealloc in BIOS?

Correct.
And DSDT (if you have patched DSDT.aml).

It is possible I just got frustrated looking at your KextsToPatch, as you have a bit of a mess there.
You should eliminate patches that don't apply to the ig-platform-id you're using and remove patches that you have disabled. Easier to focus on what you're actually doing that way.

Correct.
And DSDT (if you have patched DSDT.aml).

Will clean up the mess.

One of my SSDTs requires the remove _PSS placeholders patch, but all tho others just need IGPU and HDAU. can I do the _PSS patch in config,plist so I can just keep DropOEM = false?

Update: I tried 128mb DVMT, but since I'll need to re-patch DSDT/SSDT it wouldn't boot. When I rebooted with 96mb DVMT (with 128mb 0xa2e0008 patch still applied in config.plist) the problem was gone. Even photobooth runs clean now. Why would it work better with a mismatch??

Will clean up the mess.

One of my SSDTs requires the remove _PSS placeholders patch, but all tho others just need IGPU and HDAU. can I do the _PSS patch in config,plist so I can just keep DropOEM = false?

In the DropOem=false case, no need to fix _PSS placeholders.
The renames are easy with config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.

Update: I tried 128mb DVMT, but since I'll need to re-patch DSDT/SSDT it wouldn't boot. When I rebooted with 96mb DVMT (with 128mb 0xa2e0008 patch still applied in config.plist) the problem was gone. Even photobooth runs clean now. Why would it work better with a mismatch??

You need to re-extract/re-patch since changing DVMT-prealloc will change SystemMemory addresses in ACPI.
And as far as working better with the 128mb patch, I think it tells you that once you set DVMT-prealloc to match, it is going to work.
When you patch for larger DVMT-prealloc, but actually have it set smaller, you're setting yourself up for memory corruption. Because you have macOS thinking that DVMT is larger than it really is.

In the DropOem=false case, no need to fix _PSS placeholders.
The renames are easy with config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.

You need to re-extract/re-patch since changing DVMT-prealloc will change SystemMemory addresses in ACPI.
And as far as working better with the 128mb patch, I think it tells you that once you set DVMT-prealloc to match, it is going to work.
When you patch for larger DVMT-prealloc, but actually have it set smaller, you're setting yourself up for memory corruption. Because you have macOS thinking that DVMT is larger than it really is.

Ok great. So just to make sure I understand the SSDT structure with DropOEM=false:

Will rename patches applied under ACPI/DSDT/Patches also apply to SSDTS in addition the the DSDT?

Will SSDT-Config.aml , SSDT-PNLF.aml , and SSDT.aml still be loaded as before from ACPI/patched with no special attention? In which case I assume those are the only files that need to appear in SortedOrder, correct?
Sorry if these seem obvious

Ok great. So just to make sure I understand the SSDT structure with DropOEM=false:

Will rename patches applied under ACPI/DSDT/Patches also apply to SSDTS in addition the the DSDT?

Will SSDT-Config.aml , SSDT-PNLF.aml , and SSDT.aml still be loaded as before from ACPI/patched with no special attention? In which case I assume those are the only files that need to appear in SortedOrder, correct?
Sorry if these seem obvious

Must be config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/DropOem (DropOEM is not recognized).
config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches will be applied to OEM SSDTs, but not to SSDTs you may have in ACPI/patched.
The files you have in ACPI/patched are still loaded as long as SortedOrder is either unspecified, or SortedOrder includes them.
If you have no order dependent SSDTs in ACPI/patched, you can remove SortedOrder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back