Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Y580 - Sierra (10.12) using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
RehabMan, thanks for link, but for me it seems to be very complicated... Is there any simpler way to fix this issue on Lenovo Y580? Maybe it can be build into installer which is on top of this thread?
once you read it and start doing it, it isn't that complicated

Okay, I found much simpler solution :)
1. Just open AppStore, download "Brightness Slider" (it's free).
2. Install it.
3. It will show little sun icon on right upper side. Click on it and adjust brightness level :)
That's all.

Okay, I found much simpler solution :)
1. Just open AppStore, download "Brightness Slider" (it's free).
2. Install it.
3. It will show little sun icon on right upper side. Click on it and adjust brightness level :)
That's all.

That app does not adjust the backlight level (so you will be using extra power, hence reduced battery life).

RehabMan, thanks for link, but for me it seems to be very complicated... Is there any simpler way to fix this issue on Lenovo Y580? Maybe it can be build into installer which is on top of this thread?

It is not that complicated. Follow the steps as written... and you'll see.

I'm having an issue with my install. I've followed all the instructions exactly as written and have done multiple wipes and reinstall with no success. Here's the issue:

When I boot from the partition without the EFI USB drive connected, as soon as the loading bar with the Apple logo gets about halfway, the laptop screen quickly dims to almost pitch black. I say "almost" because I'll hook up an external monitor via HDMI which works perfectly, and I'll drag a bright window around and I can faintly see the silhouette of it moving on the laptop display. It's as if the backlight for it has been completely shut off.

On the other hand, if I boot via the EFI USB Device and select to boot from my partition, it will start loading in verbose mode and take a while, but will boot up fine with the laptop display working. However, the screen is a bit dim, about 70%, until it goes to sleep and wakes up, upon which full brightness appears to be restored.

I've done more than ten reinstalls at this point and it always leads to this issue. What's going on?

I'm having an issue with my install. I've followed all the instructions exactly as written and have done multiple wipes and reinstall with no success. Here's the issue:

When I boot from the partition without the EFI USB drive connected, as soon as the loading bar with the Apple logo gets about halfway, the laptop screen quickly dims to almost pitch black. I say "almost" because I'll hook up an external monitor via HDMI which works perfectly, and I'll drag a bright window around and I can faintly see the silhouette of it moving on the laptop display. It's as if the backlight for it has been completely shut off.

On the other hand, if I boot via the EFI USB Device and select to boot from my partition, it will start loading in verbose mode and take a while, but will boot up fine with the laptop display working. However, the screen is a bit dim, about 70%, until it goes to sleep and wakes up, upon which full brightness appears to be restored.

I've done more than ten reinstalls at this point and it always leads to this issue. What's going on?

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Attachments

• EFI:Clover.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
  • ioreg.zip
    662.8 KB · Views: 115
  • RehabMan.zip
    18.7 KB · Views: 89
  • TerminalOutput.zip
    16.5 KB · Views: 78
I did a fresh install of Sierra because after the install of Megacookies Installer i can't boot anymore since the 2nd boot.
Myterious is, after i install the package the first time i can change the brightness level.

Most everything works now except the brightness level. It would not change anymore.

I installed with your options and pressing F4 in Clover.
Any Idea how to fix this?

Thanks @RehabMan, I've updated my profile with the specs and I've attached the supplementary files for diagnosis. Post #6 by tonymacx86 at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-12-5-update.220866/#post-1504116 mentions a fix for black screen, but it's only targeted at Intel HD 5xx/6xx Graphics (Skylake & Kabylake) users. Should I give it a shot anyway?

Your ioreg shows backlight control not implemented correctly.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

I did a fresh install of Sierra because after the install of Megacookies Installer i can't boot anymore since the 2nd boot.
Myterious is, after i install the package the first time i can change the brightness level.

Most everything works now except the brightness level. It would not change anymore.

I installed with your options and pressing F4 in Clover.
Any Idea how to fix this?

Read post #38.

@RehabMan Perfect, that did the trick. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back