Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Y50/Y70 (UHD or 1080p) using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes my screen is 1080 that's why there should be no issues with it ..

the problem that every thing works perfect and screen resolution is 1080 without any problem .. all this till i press apple .. sleep
then after waking the lap again, the screen will have alot of artifacts and flickering and this leads to slowness in the system
but then i figured that the sytem itself isn't slowing because when i connect hdmi i can see that every thing is very smooth on the tv screen while it's very slow on the internal screen and hazzy with alot of flickering

then also i figured out that i can replicae the same problem by just changing resolution in display tab in settings
that's why i thought that the internal screen edid got messed somehow and screen resolution got changed after waking from sleep

and also my previous y5070 with exactly the same specs wasn't have any problem like this

and the only difference between the 2 laptops that the older one was recognized as 15.6 screen 1080 in apple..display tab while the new lap showing as 15.5 1080
and i think that screen info is being read from edid so if this one has messed edid, thats's why it shows as 15.5 not 15.6 as the older one

hope it's clear and hope if someone gave me his edid to compare it to my one and also look at apple..display and telling me if it's 15.5 or 15.6
and i'm not talking about the one in apple..overview which showing as macbook pro 15inch .. i knew that this one is related to smbios
i need the one in the tab just beside it

thanks for your patience

and the only fix to get my internal screen working perfect again is by restart
and my internal screen is made by samsung

my fear that windows 10 is the cause of my edid corruption as alot of alienware laptops have broken screens after windows 10 although i got 8.1 back now
here is link
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...illing-alienware-and-clevo-lcd-panels.779449/
that's why maybe something changed making my screen can't be read as its original specs

The W10 nvidia kill screens (even if it's true) can't happen on your Y50 because of the way the graphic card switch is set up.
I'm assuming you have a IPS screen since it's a later release. Most users here I've observed have Tn apart from the UHD laptops. I doubt that is the issue though since IPS users haven't reported any issues either

The W10 nvidia kill screens (even if it's true) can't happen on your Y50 because of the way the graphic card switch is set up.
I'm assuming you have a IPS screen since it's a later release. Most users here I've observed have Tn apart from the UHD laptops. I doubt that is the issue though since IPS users haven't reported any issues either

my screen is ips and also my previous one also was ips without this problem
the only differnece between the 2 laptops is that my previous one haven't been upgraded to windows 10 as a free upgrade

and windows 10 can't kill my screen due to the setup of integrated graphics card and thus i can boot my y5070 now even after installation of windows 10 but this doesn't mean that it doesn't change edid of the screen

the setup of the integrated graphics card let the lap to boot but our device doesn't even check for the integrated screen to post as the alienware laptops

i even changed the video card in the settings of bios to to peg and disabled the integrated graphics card completely from bios and the lap was still able to post but with black screen as it's connected to the integrated graphics card
so in theory i think that windows 10 is a plague but i hope that some one share his display info and edid with me to see if my one is coreect or not

the only differnece between the 2 laptops is that my previous one haven't been upgraded to windows 10 as a free upgrade

and windows 10 can't kill my screen due to the setup of integrated graphics card and thus i can boot my y5070 now even after installation of windows 10 but this doesn't mean that it doesn't change edid of the screen

the setup of the integrated graphics card let the lap to boot but our device doesn't even check for the integrated screen to post as the alienware laptops

i even changed the video card in the settings of bios to to peg and disabled the integrated graphics card completely from bios and the lap was still able to post but with black screen as it's connected to the integrated graphics card
so in theory i think that windows 10 is a plague but i hope that some one share his display info and edid with me to see if my one is coreect or not

Who is the manufacture of the ips panel AUO, LG, Chi mei, or Samsung?

Mine is 15.5 according to mac.
I did an update with W10, as well as do a clean install of W10, installed yosemite, then updated to El capitan, all works fine
Also, no one else has this problem. Either you have a hardware problem which probably has nothing to do with W10, OR there's something wrong with your install

Mine is 15.5 according to mac.
I did an update with W10, as well as do a clean install of W10, installed yosemite, then updated to El capitan, all works fine
Also, no one else has this problem. Either you have a hardware problem which probably has nothing to do with W10, OR there's something wrong with your install

can you please tell me the model of your screen ?

and also did u updated from windows 8.1 to 10 to get the free upgrade or retail copy of windows 10 ?
i think that microsoft write something in the bios region to give us the free upgrade but those with retail copies doesn't need this and may be safe

also did you mean that you can press sleep then wake the device and every thing still smooth without flickering on your device ?and can you change the resolution and still every thing works as epected ?

and also did u updated from windows 8.1 to 10 to get the free upgrade or retail copy of windows 10 ?
i think that microsoft write something in the bios region to give us the free upgrade but those with retail copies doesn't need this and may be safe

also did you mean that you can press sleep then wake the device and every thing still smooth without flickering on your device ?and can you change the resolution and still every thing works as epected ?

Tn from AOU, IPS wasn't an option then. I'm going to swap out for IPS myself once the warranty is up
Microsoft DOES NOT write to bios (it can modify UEFI though, but that doesn't corrupt bios which should have a secondary failsafe). Stop blaming the update, the only problem ever with display and W10 was with the dedicated nvidia cards that doesn't apply to the Y50. For the update, Microsoft registers your motherboard (and potentially graphic card) serial to their servers, allowing you to activate. I have done the update on multiple machines, and none ever had a problem, whether it be desktop, laptop, Dell, Lenovo, etc. No one else in the forum has reported anything either. Not to mention everyone who had issues due to the update had dead screens, not flickering screens only in mac. Your findings don't fit any other findings
Yes, sleep works whether I tell it to, or it does it after timeout. No flickering. Any resolution is fine, even with dual screen. Nothing is wrong with the guide.
If you insist that there is something wrong with the bios, take apart the computer, remove the battery AND cmos/bios battery for an hour, then put it back. If problem still exists, then it's definitely not bios (which is reset by the battery removal)

Try the El Capitan Gm
with this guide instead.

Thanks for alternative audio drivers branch. I can vouch that the sound is much better :)

Thanks for alternative audio drivers branch. I can vouch that the sound is much better :)

From the feedback so far, I think I'll merge it into the master branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back