Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Y50 (UHD or 1080p) using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be i have to live with this forever. :(

Hi, I have a crapy unofficial power adaptor that causes sound noise.
in the past using the AppleHDA_ALC283.kext it was not the case.
so can you make the script configurable so I can continue using the old approach?

about the noise:
happens only when using crapy adaptor and headphone
happens when headphone jack plugs in
happens system idle for some minutes

No plans to switch away from AppleALC.kext.
You could always dig into older versions of the github project if you want to.

I tried to remake AppleHDA_ALC283.kext, It didn't work.

I find the sound problem also happens with the official power adapter, hope you can track the problem and solve it.
when the bug happens, it sounds from far away, unclear . if I change the sound balance to left or right only,It's more clear .
And I try to connect a bluetooth earphone, it like the sound come from left for 3-4 seconds then the right.

Attachments

• report.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 74
I had no success when using both Clover configurations.

Config from post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...r-1080p-using-clover-uefi.261723/post-1915886 resulted in boot stuck at 40%. I could hear macOS error sound when pressing enter. Using sequence FN+F1, Alt to simulate sleep turned screen black but I could not wake it back up even for one second. I was stuck on a completely black screen.

Using config from post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...r-1080p-using-clover-uefi.261723/post-1907536 resulted in exactly the same behaviour as I reported first. Black screen after 50%. FN+F1, Alt key sequence could only wake login screen up for half a second before turning black again.

I am back to using ig-platform-id 0x12345678

In both configurations changing ig-platform-id to 0x12345678 from clover options allowed normal boot with 32MB graphics. I also noticed that using ig-platform-id 0x12345678 results in an unnaturally long boot taking more than 1 minute total.

I identified the problem of the black screen. It was BIOS settings. In my case I had boot set to UEFI + Legacy as guide recommends. When that option is active, secure boot option is ON and hidden in the settings. I was able to get working login screen by setting boot BIOS option to UEFI and setting secure boot BIOS option to disabled. After those changes login screen was visible and screen didn't go dark in El Capitan and Mojave. This is using official recommended config from first post.

HOWEVER

There is still a problem the login screen is all messed UP (see the screenshot).

At login screen the boot logo starts to be all scattered at 50% and from that point whole screen is messed up.

This was also happening in my previous El Capitan installation. The boot screen was messed up after 50% for split second but the El Capitan login screen was displayed correctly (see video below). And whole system was usable without a problem.

Something changed in Mojave and login screen is not displayed correctly anymore.

I attached problem reporting files while using external screen. Builtin screen is not usable like this.

Here is same laptop running El Capitan boot without a problem:

I also tried config from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...r-1080p-using-clover-uefi.261723/post-1915886 => Won't boot

Using config from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...r-1080p-using-clover-uefi.261723/post-1907536 => same issue

Attachments

• debug_6032.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 21.28.59.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 21.28.59.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 21.29.06.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 21.29.06.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 73
  • boot_screen_in_elcapitan_and_mojave.jpg
    boot_screen_in_elcapitan_and_mojave.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 74
  • login_screen_mojave.jpg
    login_screen_mojave.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I identified the problem of the black screen. It was BIOS settings. In my case I had boot set to UEFI + Legacy as guide recommends. When that option is active, secure boot option is ON and hidden in the settings. I was able to get working login screen by setting boot BIOS option to UEFI and setting secure boot BIOS option to disabled. After those changes login screen was visible and screen didn't go dark in El Capitan and Mojave. This is using official recommended config from first post.

HOWEVER

There is still a problem the login screen is all messed UP (see the screenshot).

At login screen the boot logo starts to be all scattered at 50% and from that point whole screen is messed up.

This was also happening in my previous El Capitan installation. The boot screen was messed up after 50% for split second but the El Capitan login screen was displayed correctly (see video below). And whole system was usable without a problem.

Something changed in Mojave and login screen is not displayed correctly anymore.

I attached problem reporting files while using external screen. Builtin screen is not usable like this.

Here is same laptop running El Capitan boot without a problem:

I also tried config from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...r-1080p-using-clover-uefi.261723/post-1915886 => Won't boot

Using config from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...r-1080p-using-clover-uefi.261723/post-1907536 => same issue

Turn the legacy support on and try turning the laptop on while charger is pluged in as i am getting every thing working fine with this

Turn the legacy support on and try turning the laptop on while charger is pluged in as i am getting every thing working fine with this

I tried with charger plugged in because my battery is not that good. Legacy support does not work for me. It causes black screen ATM. I will play around with bios settings more and experiment.

I tried with charger plugged in because my battery is not that good. Legacy support does not work for me. It causes black screen ATM. I will play around with bios settings more and experiment.

Try my EFI and let me know if it works for you

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    8.1 MB · Views: 166
Hi,

I also have some (similar) problems with the internal screen on my y50-70 Hackintosh. It often starts flickering, sometimes really heavy & even getting complete dark. Only Fn-F1 helps to get it back. No problems with an external screen.
Attached is my problem reporting file.

Thx,
Joe

Attachments

• debug_25158.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 80
PS: what I can observe is that the flickering starts or gets worse as soon as the y50 needs CPU-Power.

Greetings,
Joe

Hi,

Pre-cursor to a full problem report but i’m getting exactly the same 50% tearing issue - I’ve got a Y70-70 which is as close as dammit to the Y50-50/70. Once into the setup screen the screen is torn at the halfway mark and repeated - if I hit Fn F1 then click bring the laptop out of sleep it’s back to normal.

Going to continue the install and see if the problem persists, once installed I’d upload the requireds.

Of note is that with a generic clover UEFI usb boot drive, I do not get the same error (at first I tried without the guide)

Nick

Hi,

Pre-cursor to a full problem report but i’m getting exactly the same 50% tearing issue - I’ve got a Y70-70 which is as close as dammit to the Y50-50/70. Once into the setup screen the screen is torn at the halfway mark and repeated - if I hit Fn F1 then click bring the laptop out of sleep it’s back to normal.

Going to continue the install and see if the problem persists, once installed I’d upload the requireds.

Of note is that with a generic clover UEFI usb boot drive, I do not get the same error (at first I tried without the guide)

Nick

I managed to fix the torn screen issue by going to BIOS and there switching Switchable Graphics to UMA Graphics and enabling Legacy Boot with UEFI first. Now the only problem is screen flickering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back