Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Y50 (UHD or 1080p) using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, If I follow steps #Updates to the patch repositories
after have to patch another times DSDT?

or after follow step, all works fine without need to update nothing?

Hi, If I follow steps #Updates to the patch repositories
after have to patch another times DSDT?

or after follow step, all works fine without need to update nothing?

This guide uses hotpatch, therefore no "patched" DSDT.

With 4k display, CoreDisplayFixup.kext is recommended.
You're the first to positively confirm it works.
I will try to add it to the github scripts when I get a chance.

Problem though: It might not work with older OS X (such as 10.11.x, 10.10.x, 10.9.x, 10.8.x).

Good to hear!

I have also ran into another problem (and another solution)!

I updated to 10.13.3, and with the same patches in place, the screen went black right a few seconds after I typed in my password to login (with CoreDisplayFixup + Lilu + CoreDisplay patches [im not sure if the CoreDisplay patches are needed alongside CoreDisplayFixup but I'm not sure]). The desktop loaded a little bit, and then the screen went to black! :think:
However, I was able to bypass this also! I've noticed that changing the ig-platform-id to the suggested value in the FAQ (0xA2E0008) makes it so that the 4K screen works! I'm pretty sure this might mess up a few of the patches specifically tailored for the default ig-platform-id in the config.plists.

Any reason for why this might be? Anything I could possibly be doing wrong? :think:

EDIT: Changing the ig-platform-id didn't work forever - the screen went black after ~5 minutes, but this only happened one time. We'll see if anything else happens... :think:

Thank you!

-Duncan

Last edited:
Good to hear!

I have also ran into another problem (and another solution)!

I updated to 10.13.3, and with the same patches in place, the screen went black right a few seconds after I typed in my password to login (with CoreDisplayFixup + Lilu + CoreDisplay patches [im not sure if the CoreDisplay patches are needed alongside CoreDisplayFixup but I'm not sure]). The desktop loaded a little bit, and then the screen went to black! :think:
However, I was able to bypass this also! I've noticed that changing the ig-platform-id to the suggested value in the FAQ (0xA2E0008) makes it so that the 4K screen works! I'm pretty sure this might mess up a few of the patches specifically tailored for the default ig-platform-id in the config.plists.

Any reason for why this might be? Anything I could possibly be doing wrong? :think:

EDIT: Changing the ig-platform-id didn't work forever - the screen went black after ~5 minutes, but this only happened one time. We'll see if anything else happens... :think:

Thank you!

-Duncan

Kernel cache/Clover kexts patching issue.
As per guide, you must use an invalid ig-platform-id or boot without Intel inject after updates, so you can rebuild cache.
(it is because Clover cannot patch kexts that are not in cache).

Kernel cache/Clover kexts patching issue.
As per guide, you must use an invalid ig-platform-id or boot without Intel inject after updates, so you can rebuild cache.
(it is because Clover cannot patch kexts that are not in cache).

Hello again!
I've been experimenting with CoreDisplayFixup.kext, and I've come to the conclusion (correct me if I'm wrong) that you don't need to have both the CoreDisplay patches (ran from the-darkvoid's / Mac-pixel-clock-patch scripts) AND the kext implemented at the same time.
I'm now having an issue where the screen'll go black after I wake the laptop up from sleep!
I've already enabled the "enable internal display after sleep 0x0A2E0008" patch that was in the UHD config, but it's not working. :think:

I'll attach my PR files so that hopefully this can be solved!
Also, can you check to see if anything else is wrong in terms of graphics and powering the 4K display? I still have to use the ig-platform-id 0x0A2E0008 to be able to have graphics acceleration instead of the defaulted ig-platform-id, so something may be wrong.

Thank you!

-Duncan

Attachments

• debug_15602.zip
    782 KB · Views: 81
Hello again!
I've been experimenting with CoreDisplayFixup.kext, and I've come to the conclusion (correct me if I'm wrong) that you don't need to have both the CoreDisplay patches (ran from the-darkvoid's / Mac-pixel-clock-patch scripts) AND the kext implemented at the same time.

Of course.
CoreDisplayFixup.kext implements the pixel clock patch.
No need to implement the patch in multiple ways.

I'm now having an issue where the screen'll go black after I wake the laptop up from sleep!
I've already enabled the "enable internal display after sleep 0x0A2E0008" patch that was in the UHD config, but it's not working. :think:

I'll attach my PR files so that hopefully this can be solved!
Also, can you check to see if anything else is wrong in terms of graphics and powering the 4K display? I still have to use the ig-platform-id 0x0A2E0008 to be able to have graphics acceleration instead of the defaulted ig-platform-id, so something may be wrong.

Thank you!

-Duncan

The guide uses 0xa260006 and associated patches.
This guide does not use 0xa2e0008.

Have you done a fresh install yet? (as suggested earlier).

I solved the problem by installing high sierra from the app store and starting the installer. now everything works perfectly.

For the UHD model, the DVMT-prealloc BIOS setting must be changed to 128MB. One of two methods can be used:
- use a EFI shell to change the DVMT-prealloc from the shell.
- use a patched BIOS which unlocks the advanced menu

Is this generally true for laptops with UHD graphics or just true for Lenovo?

Hi All,
Having difficulty completing a new UEFI install (13.3.4) on a Lenovo y50-70 UHD with successful bios mod and DVMT set to 128M. I got past the USB installer issue by adding the .IABootFiles folder and copying the boot.efi. All of the install scripts seem to have run fine. I can boot to the new OSX install if I boot Clover from the flash, but unable to complete a boot straight from clover on the system disk. Booting in verbose mode, the process hangs at IOConsoleUsers.

Clover did not have a means to boot without caches. Following some other threads, I attempted booting with -f, as well as deleting com.apple.kext.caches then rebuilding the cache. Unfortunately...no success.

Problem Reporting files are attached.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

In case the signature doesn't come across properly...
Laptop: Lenovo y50-70/HM87, i7-4720HQ, HD4600

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.1 MB · Views: 126
  • IORegistryExplorer-SLRID_v10.6.3.zip
    274.4 KB · Views: 48
  • kextcache.txt
    49 bytes · Views: 97
  • kextstat.txt
    678 bytes · Views: 114
Is this generally true for laptops with UHD graphics or just true for Lenovo?

Post #1 content is for the laptops covered by this guide (Lenovo Y50).
Note that UHD/4k screen is different from UHD 620/630 graphics controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back