i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Thank you so much for the hard work you keep on doing for this laptop and community
Been using This guide Since Yosemite

Hey @RehabMan

So odd problem with HS. On cold boot, it takes a long while to boot, on verbose boot hanging at validating APFS, then after 3 min it would boot fine but with audio not working, and graphics tearing (on SSD drive)
On warm boot, it boots like it did on Sierra
I'm attaching ioreg or cold and warm boot as well as patchmatic and clover folders. Hope you can tell me the cause. This doesn't happen on my desktop which also converted onto APFS

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 980
  • cold boot.ioreg
    4.1 MB · Views: 842
  • warm boot.ioreg
    4.2 MB · Views: 798
  • Rehabman.zip
    37.5 KB · Views: 482
Hey @RehabMan

So odd problem with HS. On cold boot, it takes a long while to boot, on verbose boot hanging at validating APFS, then after 3 min it would boot fine but with audio not working, and graphics tearing (on SSD drive)
On warm boot, it boots like it did on Sierra
I'm attaching ioreg or cold and warm boot as well as patchmatic and clover folders. Hope you can tell me the cause. This doesn't happen on my desktop which also converted onto APFS

It is due to APFS+TRIM and non-Apple SSD.
Disable the TRIM patch or install as HFS+J instead of APFS.

It is due to APFS+TRIM and non-Apple SSD.
Disable the TRIM patch or install as HFS+J instead of APFS.

I removed the dsdt patch as well as 'sudo trimforce disable' and still same problem

Last edited:
Sorry, that that's what I mean. Still not working :/

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Also, show output of:
Code:
system_profiler SPSerialATADataType|grep TRIM

Note: It doesn't look like your config.plist is up-to-date. And you should let Clover determine FirmwareFeatures (SMBIOS can be just model and serial#).

Last edited:
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Also, show output of:
Code:
system_profiler SPSerialATADataType|grep TRIM

Turns out I needed to rebuild the cache. Maybe you can set the config.plist to only enable TRIM if <10.13?
Why exactly does it cause this problem?
For some reason command 'sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /' will cause boot errors in HS with APFS (happened 3 times). I just use kextutil to rebuild now.

Maybe you can set the config.plist to only enable TRIM if <10.13?

I'm considering exactly that.

Why exactly does it cause this problem?

My guess...
I think TRIM is poorly implemented by SSD firmware.
Apple didn't code the workarounds for poor SSD firmware as it relates to TRIM.

Results with TRIM on non-Apple hardware has always been firmware/hardware dependent.

For some reason command 'sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /' will cause boot errors in HS with APFS (happened 3 times). I just use kextutil to rebuild now.

I have no problem with kextcache for rebuilding cache.
I don't see any documentation for kextutil that implies it can be used to rebuild kernel cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back