Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo V330-15IKB using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you are correct, i was just using the compare feature on Panelook between those two and i also just noticed that change.
So it's set, im ordering the B156HAN01.1 model that you got for yourself as well.

Since the day that i got this laptop i had only two cons/issues in terms of the laptop as a model (got it 1 month used, mint condition or rather say just unboxed).

1. Bad Display Panel
2. Small battery

Thanks to your idea,research,inspiration i can solve these two problems and make it a perfect laptop and be able to use it at max capacity for a decent period of times as for now i have bigger and more important budget priorities.
Since im pretty much happy with everything else with this laptop, spending 120 Euro for the display panel, Ultrabay battery and the WIFI/BT Card it's a Jackpot for me. im fine with 8GB ram and a 2.5" 256GB SSD for now and can afford soon after a nvme upgrade.

I have always enjoyed hardware modifications ( you can probably tell from my signature!) so it is good for me to now have a laptop I can upgrade myself. I use windows under parallels for my business work so having fast large storage and lots of RAM ( 10GB for Mac / 10GB for Windows ) makes it much more pleasant for me. Hopefully the battery will be here soon as simultaneous use of two OS and the extra hardware does mean I need to be plugged in pretty much constantly at the moment. it's also nice that I have still spent a great deal less on this than I would need to on a MacBook with much less storage or memory.

As you know, I only made the decision because of the great work you did on this guide [ which was super easy to follow ]. So, once again, thank you.

Ultrabay battery arrived today. I have installed the battery and used the second battery SSDT by @RehabMan - all seems good so far. Extra battery detected in HWMonitor and System Profiler seems to recognise as an increased capacity single battery source. Will let you know if I encounter any problems. Judging by the experience of other people using Ultrabay batteries with Lenovo the normal behaviour under windows would be to run down the second battery before then switching to the internal one.

Attachments

• SSDT-BAT.aml
    1.3 KB · Views: 85
View attachment 395163

Ultrabay battery arrived today. I have installed the battery and used the second battery SSDT by @RehabMan - all seems good so far. Extra battery detected in HWMonitor and System Profiler seems to recognise as an increased capacity single battery source. Will let you know if I encounter any problems. Judging by the experience of other people using Ultrabay batteries with Lenovo the normal behaviour under windows would be to run down the second battery before then switching to the internal one.
Excellent job, how much extra battery life do you get from it in percentage or overall in hours/minutes

Excellent job, how much extra battery life do you get from it in percentage or overall in hours/minutes
I don't know yet. I may need to do some playing with the SSDT. Having done a check I see that the battery in System Profiler IS actually the Ultrabay battery by itself. The overall indicator is currently reading the Ultrabay battery percentage, while in HW monitor ( as I thought ) it shows the internal battery at 99% and ultra bay percentage the same as the system battery indicator display. That means that unless the percentage indicator goes negative I suspect the computer will sleep itself when the Ultrabay gets to 2% ( or whatever ) without realising the internal battery is fully charged.
I might just need to swap BAT0 and BAT1 in the SSDT. Perhaps then it will show full charge until the ultra bay empties and then start running correctly showing internal battery percentage. For now though I m just going to wait and see what happens when the Ultrabay battery nears discharge. Currently I am about 1.5 hours in and Ultrabay is reading 63%, main battery 99%.
EDIT: I did a quick swap of BAT0 and BAT1 and restarted. Now the system profiler shows just the internal battery ( with status shown as "fully charged" and "Not charging" ( correct), HW monitor shows both ( with ultrabay discharging as expected ) - however overall battery usage icon still shows the ultrabay status rather than the fully charged status of the internal battery. I guess I will just now need to wait it out.....and see whether the system actually believes what the icon is telling it OR if it goes on the basis of the "fully charged" status shown in the system profiler. Maybe the battery indicator will just flick from 2% to 99%??

Last edited:
I don't know yet. I may need to do some playing with the SSDT. Having done a check I see that the battery in System Profiler IS actually the Ultrabay battery by itself. The overall indicator is currently reading the Ultrabay battery percentage, while in HW monitor ( as I thought ) it shows the internal battery at 99% and ultra bay percentage the same as the system battery indicator display. That means that unless the percentage indicator goes negative I suspect the computer will sleep itself when the Ultrabay gets to 2% ( or whatever ) without realising the internal battery is fully charged.
I might just need to swap BAT0 and BAT1 in the SSDT. Perhaps then it will show full charge until the ultra bay empties and then start running correctly showing internal battery percentage. For now though I m just going to wait and see what happens when the Ultrabay battery nears discharge. Currently I am about 1.5 hours in and Ultrabay is reading 63%, main battery 99%.
EDIT: I did a quick swap of BAT0 and BAT1 and restarted. Now the system profiler shows just the internal battery ( with status shown as "fully charged" and "Not charging" ( correct), HW monitor shows both ( with ultrabay discharging as expected ) - however overall battery usage icon still shows the ultrabay status rather than the fully charged status of the internal battery. I guess I will just now need to wait it out.....and see whether the system actually believes what the icon is telling it OR if it goes on the basis of the "fully charged" status shown in the system profiler. Maybe the battery indicator will just flick from 2% to 99%??
You need to change BAT0 and BAT1 notifiers to BATC (merge them) with config.plist /ACPI/DSDT/Patches

Reboot and in clover bootloader menu press F2 to dump new acpi tables.

Upload problem reporting files i will do that for you, i should be free after 2 hours, that change won't take me more than 5 min.

Or if you want to give it a shot by yourself, extract acpi tables create a mixed result listing of DSDT and rename all bat0 and bat1 notifiers to batc, example:
Code:
Notify (BAT1, 0x81)
{....

To:

Notify (BATC, 0x81)
{...
Follow Rehabman advanced acpi patching guide for more informations:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-using-clover-to-hotpatch-acpi.200137/

You need to change BAT0 and BAT1 notifiers to BATC (merge them) with config.plist /ACPI/DSDT/Patches

Reboot and in clover bootloader menu press F2 to dump new acpi tables.

Upload problem reporting files i will do that for you, i should be free after 2 hours, that change won't take me more than 5 min.

Or if you want to give it a shot by yourself, extract acpi tables create a mixed result listing of DSDT and rename all bat0 and bat1 notifiers to batc, example:
Code:
Notify (BAT1, 0x81)
{....

To:

Notify (BATC, 0x81)
{...
Follow Rehabman advanced acpi patching guide for more informations:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-using-clover-to-hotpatch-acpi.200137/
Thanks @Sniki I have been using the SSDT-BATC from Rehabman in ACPI Patched folder ( which introduces Device (BATC) ) so I will hang on until I see if the system does decide to sleep itself and then take it from there and troubleshoot if necessary. The new battery SSDT certainly seems to be being loaded - or at least that is what MaciASL seems to indicate - and the fact that System Profiler switches over which of the two batteries it is reporting on if I switch the labels of BAT0 and BAT1 in that SSDT also seems to show that it is doing something. So it is just wait and see now what does happen....

SO, I went away and then came back after the PC had been on for about 3.5 hours. The PC was asleep, so I woke it on power button and the battery status indicator had switched to the main internal battery. HWMonitor was showing 96% internal, 5% Ultrabay. System profiler shows the internal battery as now discharging correctly.
Only thing ( which I guess I can live with ) is inside the energy saver system preference panel it is alternating between 5% and the internal battery value and the status indicator in the top bar is reading 96% but with the indicator level as red instead of black.
If I get a chance later I'll do the problem reporting files but I'll also leave this running on battery only just to see if anything funky happens.

So i recieved the adapter and wifi card... I was taking the back off of the laptop and one of the screws below the dvd drive decided to rip its head off... every other screw was fine (even the exact same screw next to it). I have tried a rubber band and some tin foil... time to get some super glue I guess.

So i recieved the adapter and wifi card... I was taking the back off of the laptop and one of the screws below the dvd drive decided to rip its head off... every other screw was fine (even the exact same screw next to it). I have tried a rubber band and some tin foil... time to get some super glue I guess.
Make sure when you are working inside the case that the first thing you do is disconnect the battery connector - you do not want to risk making any mistakes in there with the battery still connected. So easy to drop a screw or short something by mistake, so be careful. And please don't replace screws with anything except another screw.......doing this stuff is fun, but not if you brick your laptop.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back