Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, great job.
About the dock, if you didn't test after you fixed the issues, turn laptop off, attach the laptop on dock, Boot and test what works and what doesn't work.

we might be able to make it work but it will need additional troubleshooting,testing & problem reporting files.

If you want to experiment with it, attach the dock and turn on the laptop, on boot clover menu Press F4 / Fn+F4 and boot.
after you reach desktop, gather new problem reporting files with the script provided as you did previously and attach them here.

After i take a look at the changes on it, we will need some adittional work to make everything work.

1. Fixing USB Ports on dock (if it is possible to make all those USB Ports work without a port limit patch).
2. Check VGA/DVI/DisplayPorts/ on which framebuffers do they attach.
3. a audio codec Dump on linux to patch audio to work on Dock too (dump must be done with dock plugged in).

Does the dock cover some of the ports on laptop when you attach it ?, if so which ones ?

Ok, so the boot process was not exactly clean. Lid closed and attached to DVI port on dock, it goes through to the boot screen and then the progress bar stops at the halfway point. Then I flip open the screen again and it reboots, then goes into the OS. Internet works, and at least 2 of the USB ports, the DVI does not at this point. I've attached the ZIP, not sure if the F4 worked on the reboot.

As for the dock, the only port that it covers up when you dock it is the power port which is not needed due to the dock. Other than that the other ports are all accessible.

Attachments

• debug_8147.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
@Sniki - Thank you so much for putting together this guide. I have a T440s currently running Sierra 10.12.6, but it's from a previous El Capitan setup I did over a year ago with a "hacked together" DSDT. It's very stable, but the DSDT edits are all over the place, making upgrading a hassle.

I plan on doing an upgrade later this summer and I'll likely use this guide.

Also, FYI - something you might want to add to the first post - v2.36 of the T440s BIOS for some reason completely removes the WiFi whitelist. I chose just installing this version instead of dealing with flashing a custom BIOS. It's been working perfectly with my DW1560 WiFi card in both El Capitan and Sierra. I presume it will also work fine with High Sierra when I eventually find the time to upgrade.

As you mentioned in the first post, VGA I don't believe works (although, it's been a very long time since I tested it) and my trackpoint only works 50% of the time (I keep rebooting until it works). I haven't bothered to install the card reader kext since I use sleep a lot.

@Sniki - Thank you so much for putting together this guide. I have a T440s currently running Sierra 10.12.6, but it's from a previous El Capitan setup I did over a year ago with a "hacked together" DSDT. It's very stable, but the DSDT edits are all over the place, making upgrading a hassle.

I plan on doing an upgrade later this summer and I'll likely use this guide.
I believe you should have a very stable setup with my hotpatch. (If not better)
Also, FYI - something you might want to add to the first post - v2.36 of the T440s BIOS for some reason completely removes the WiFi whitelist. I chose just installing this version instead of dealing with flashing a custom BIOS. It's been working perfectly with my DW1560 WiFi card in both El Capitan and Sierra. I presume it will also work fine with High Sierra when I eventually find the time to upgrade
Thanks for pointing this out, i will update the Bios section with this.

10.13.4 seems to have improved the stability by a lot in terms of Bluetooth and the features like HandOff & Universal Clipboard
As you mentioned in the first post, VGA I don't believe works (although, it's been a very long time since I tested it) and my trackpoint only works 50% of the time (I keep rebooting until it works). I haven't bothered to install the card reader kext since I use sleep a lot.
About VGA: honestly i see no reason to waste my time experimenting with it since it’s already a legacy port and only a small,very small amount of people will use it. Id rather do some improvements and experimenting with more useful things.

TrackPoint is same what you currently face.
Im trying to learn C++ with some books and online literature and as soon as i feel comfortable i will start working on tluck fork of VoodooPS2Controller and attempt to fix the trackpoint and add the 3D Touch function by a 2 fingers tap or click.
Then gradually start adding additional gestures as i progress...

Another thing that im working on is Audio.
Im trying all the available Signal Processing Elements from AppleHDA layouts until i find the one that has the highest volume and best quality.

I believe you should have a very stable setup with my hotpatch. (If not better)

Thanks for pointing this out, i will update the Bios section with this.

10.13.4 seems to have improved the stability by a lot in terms of Bluetooth and the features like HandOff & Universal Clipboard

About VGA: honestly i see no reason to waste my time experimenting with it since it’s already a legacy port and only a small,very small amount of people will use it. Id rather do some improvements and experimenting with more useful things.

TrackPoint is same what you currently face.
Im trying to learn C++ with some books and online literature and as soon as i feel comfortable i will start working on tluck fork of VoodooPS2Controller and attempt to fix the trackpoint and add the 3D Touch function by a 2 fingers tap or click.
Then gradually start adding additional gestures as i progress...

Another thing that im working on is Audio.
Im trying all the available Signal Processing Elements from AppleHDA layouts until i find the one that has the highest volume and best quality.
Wow - fantastic work. I appreciate everything you're doing for the community.

If you need testers for either the audio or PS2Controller kext I'd be happy to, even with my current Sierra setup. I might actually give High Sierra a shot sooner than later since this guide seems fairly straightforward!

Also, I'm a developer myself, but I haven't touched C++ in over 5 years. That being said, maybe I can take a look at some of the code handling the loading of the drivers and help determine why it only works "sometimes."

Wow - fantastic work. I appreciate everything you're doing for the community.

If you need testers for either the audio or PS2Controller kext I'd be happy to, even with my current Sierra setup. I might actually give High Sierra a shot sooner than later since this guide seems fairly straightforward!

Also, I'm a developer myself, but I haven't touched C++ in over 5 years. That being said, maybe I can take a look at some of the code handling the loading of the drivers and help determine why it only works "sometimes."
I just did a clean install on 10.13.4 since i did a lot of experimenting and messed up a lot of stuff.

About Audio = i will continue to work from tomorrow since its weekend and i don't have anything on my agenda except if something unusual happens.

If you are a Developer, that would be great, the documentation is already there on the Source of the kext itself.
I did make a fork of Tluck VoodooPS2Controller on my Github repo so i can start working on it when i get ready.
https://github.com/BesnikRrustemi/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

The thing about trackpoint seems to be "passthru" related as discussed on Tluck Repo which i believe you did point the issue as well.
Although someone implemented a Enforced Passthru, it's still not working, like u said 50/50 chance of working, have to reboot once or twice to make it work again.
If we can manage to fix that and add the 3D touch Gesture with a two fingers tap or two fingers click that would be excellent.
Syscl does have the 3D touch function implemented on his VoodooPS2Controller fork for his Dell XPS:
https://github.com/syscl/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller
you can find more info on his commits where he implemented it but it requires to track the gesture references into all the files.

I just did a clean install on 10.13.4 since i did a lot of experimenting and messed up a lot of stuff.

About Audio = i will continue to work from tomorrow since its weekend and i don't have anything on my agenda except if something unusual happens.

If you are a Developer, that would be great, the documentation is already there on the Source of the kext itself.
I did make a fork of Tluck VoodooPS2Controller on my Github repo so i can start working on it when i get ready.
https://github.com/BesnikRrustemi/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

The thing about trackpoint seems to be "passthru" related as discussed on Tluck Repo which i believe you did point the issue as well.
Although someone implemented a Enforced Passthru, it's still not working, like u said 50/50 chance of working, have to reboot once or twice to make it work again.
If we can manage to fix that and add the 3D touch Gesture with a two fingers tap or two fingers click that would be excellent.
Syscl does have the 3D touch function implemented on his VoodooPS2Controller fork for his Dell XPS:
https://github.com/syscl/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller
you can find more info on his commits where he implemented it but it requires to track the gesture references into all the files.
Interesting. I can't guarantee much, since my amount of free time these days is very limited (even on the weekend unfortunately).

I took a quick look at the following file, which I believe is where tluck was making his changes (I also see references to Lenovo, three buttons, etc.).
https://github.com/BesnikRrustemi/O...dooPS2Trackpad/VoodooPS2SynapticsTouchPad.cpp

Since it fails on boot, I'd tend to think that the bug is somewhere in "start" or "queryCapabilities." Maybe "probe"? I might have some time tomorrow to take a look, but it would be nice if you could confirm if this is even the right place to start.

Interesting. I can't guarantee much, since my amount of free time these days is very limited (even on the weekend unfortunately).

I took a quick look at the following file, which I believe is where tluck was making his changes (I also see references to Lenovo, three buttons, etc.).
https://github.com/BesnikRrustemi/O...dooPS2Trackpad/VoodooPS2SynapticsTouchPad.cpp

Since it fails on boot, I'd tend to think that the bug is somewhere in "start" or "queryCapabilities." Maybe "probe"? I might have some time tomorrow to take a look, but it would be nice if you could confirm if this is even the right place to start.
i believe that you are on the right track.

Not in a rush, if you have time, if not, doesn't matter, i will start working on it when im ready.

Not in a rush, if you have time, if not, doesn't matter, i will start working on it when im ready.
Ok, I'll let you know if I manage to make any progress or at least learn anything. Please post here if you start work and learn something too.

Sorry for the double post, but I gave this some more thought today. I remembered that when I was on El Capitan, I was actually using a different kext by @jcsnider from his X1 Carbon guide. Unfortunately, the kext was older, and did not work at all on Sierra.

I'm wondering if one approach we could do is take his modifications (which can be found here: https://github.com/jcsnider/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller) and merge them into the latest code from RehabMan. It might be worth a shot. If I get some time this weekend, I'll attempt the merge.

Every change I made back then can be found here:
https://github.com/jcsnider/OS-X-Vo...mmit/b619ccce256797c92c8fd767e55f10763ee6e0a4

The changes, however, are very Thinkpad specific... I'd like to somehow merge these into RehabMan's repo too, but now that I'm revisiting I'm not sure if we could without some sort of "Thinkpad Detection" code. I'm not sure if that is something he'd be okay with, nor would I know if it works on all Thinkpads. I am happy to join this fight though.

Off Topic:
@Sniki whenever I inevitably get around to writing a High Sierra guide for the Gen 3 X1 Carbon do you mind if I steal the format/layout from your guides? (I really like how they are laid out!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back