Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad T440S using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question that i wanted to ask you guys as well about audio.

MacPeet has released an AppleALC patch (layout-id 15) with Manual Mode since AppleALC 1.4.7

That means when you plug headphones, you have to click on the volume icon on the menu bar and select "Line Out" to get audio output on headphones.
So the switching is done manually.

Pros:
- No CodecCommander.kext needed
- No ALCPlugFix needed

Cons:
- Manual switch

If you guys are ok with that, i can add the Dock Support into that patch and we can complete it with Manual Mode.
One other "Pro" if I'm understanding correctly, is that we can leave headphones plugged in while still utilizing the internal speakers (by simply switching the output)? This could be especially useful for Dock users who might leave external speakers plugged in all the time.

It would be nice if we could have it automatically switch to the Line Out when it detects the jack (and the other way around, too) but this solution is fine with me. I personally would probably prefer it over using CodecCommander / ALCPlugFix since sometimes it doesn't work correctly after sleep for me. It's rare, but happens from time to time.

One other "Pro" if I'm understanding correctly, is that we can leave headphones plugged in while still utilizing the internal speakers (by simply switching the output)? This could be especially useful for Dock users who might leave external speakers plugged in all the time.

It would be nice if we could have it automatically switch to the Line Out when it detects the jack (and the other way around, too) but this solution is fine with me. I personally would probably prefer it over using CodecCommander / ALCPlugFix since sometimes it doesn't work correctly after sleep for me. It's rare, but happens from time to time.
That could be an addittional pro i guess, if it works that way, it may be possible that audio does get muted as soon as you plug headphones.

Im for manual mode as well just so i can get rid of that ALCPlugFix and CodecCommander.kext

That may be fixed later but for now we haven't found a better solution.

Maybe another way is to create a small simple application that does the switch for us ?

That could be an addittional pro i guess, if it works that way, it may be possible that audio does get muted as soon as you plug headphones.

Im for manual mode as well just so i can get rid of that ALCPlugFix and CodecCommander.kext

That may be fixed later but for now we haven't found a better solution.

Maybe another way is to create a small simple application that does the switch for us ?
Yep, that of course is an alternative. I did some quick searching and found that some third party applications might already exist which can do what we need. I found this on the Mac App Store as an example: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audioswitcher/id561712678?mt=12

EDIT: Here's a similar project that's Open Source: https://github.com/deweller/switchaudio-osx
Too bad AppleALC couldn't add this as an option to the codec (auto-switch on detect or something like that?)

I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on which way we should go. I'm in agreement that we use the manual layout just to avoid having to use ALCPlugFix.

I connected headphones for the first time and got a terrible noise. The guide recommends installing alc_fix from the repo to fix this.

But on Catalina /usr/bin is not writable anymore. I changed all the paths to /usr/local/bin as it exists and is writable (used by brew) and alc_fix works again, no noise in headphones.

Posting it here for reference if anyone has the same problem with the fix on Catalina.

I modified an older VoodooPS2 v2.1.2 and included latest VoodooInput.kext into it.
So now gestures do work fine except four fingers that are buggy and latest voodooInput.kext fixes the reliability and initialization problems.

Now tonight will test the Audio with layout-15 Manual Mode of MacPeet and see how it works.

As soon as it passes the test, the OpenCore EFI is ready for upload tonight.

I modified an older VoodooPS2 v2.1.2 and included latest VoodooInput.kext into it.
So now gestures do work fine except four fingers that are buggy and latest voodooInput.kext fixes the reliability and initialization problems.

Now tonight will test the Audio with layout-15 Manual Mode of MacPeet and see how it works.

As soon as it passes the test, the OpenCore EFI is ready for upload tonight.
The version of VoodooPS2 from the previous release is a huge step up from the one from months ago - the 3 finger gesture improved greatly. I'm very happy with even the previous release so until it gets fixed, we could also just use the previous release.

OpenCore Guide is live but for more advanced users first please !

Enjoy !

Do you mind sharing your EFI so I can compare it to mine and perhaps try to figure out where the problem lies?
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply-- finally had a chance to play with my T440S this week and just installed the flashed bios to use my wifi card. (Posting this over wifi from my T440S). Please let me know what you need.... I apologize this is only my send Hackintosh (1st one was back in 2016).

So a little update, I decided to change WiFi cards, and installed this one instead:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083YXS7VF/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_IZzYEbAJMJ79E.
It works much better than the one I originally purchased, however Bluetooth doesn't work.

I also installed the T450 TrackPad, and what an improvement, however 2 finger scrolling doesn't work, and the center scroll button that scrolls with the TrackPoint only scrolls on webpages (not windows, or other programs). Also it seems my computer will randomly click where the pointer is (annoying when typing).

Computer doesn't see the battery at all (internal or external), which is not good since I get no low battery warning and the computer will die when the battery is low.

One other thing, not sure if this an issue, or something that is just because this is a Hackintosh, but if I put the computer to sleep, I don't get audio when I wake it up (have to reboot).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.36.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.36.26 PM.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.36.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.36.47 PM.png
    62 KB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.37.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.37.32 PM.png
    100 KB · Views: 96
After the update to 10.14.6 i lost the audio function.
I try'd the new AppleALC (1.50) but Audio still don't work. Audio symbol is greyed out.

Any idea how i fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back