Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad T440S using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
on my t440s i run your latest config from github...dvi to hdmi over the dock is working fine.
but have same panik reboot on sleep issue as with vga.
That's good news then, i can assume that it does work natively but just in case i will borrow the cable to give it a try, so i had no kernel panic with sleep while on VGA.
@Sniki awesome news, and glad to hear you're still around! I thought you disappeared like RehabMan.

I did ask a few pages back about the keyboard command for the "projector" key. It doesn't appear to work with the latest files. All other special keys work fine, but the projector key (i.e. F7) does not respond.

Thanks again for your continued support! Excited to try the new updates when they are ready.
Yes i was sort of dissapeared for a few days as i had some other things that i had to do.

Yes i read that, but couldn't find time to give an appropriate answer.

For the current issues:

Projector Key:
We may need to map it to F7 as for now it's the best solution i think,then assign the function on SysPrefs>Keyboard>Shortcuts

Im also curious to know what is the code to trigger the backlight keyboard GUI on real Macbooks.
We can implement it when we press Fn+Spacebar to show the indicator on the screen for backlight like it shows for brightness keys and volume.

ALCPlugFix needs another update as since 10.15.1 you can't even mount disk as RW anymore, it shows an error like operating failed (77).

So the best approach would be to update it / move it to a working directory that doesn't require system volume mounting.

For that i also forked CodecCommander from Rehabman and i will update it so hda-verb can be executed from a non mounting required location on the volume so it matches ALCPlugFix changes.

That's good news then, i can assume that it does work natively but just in case i will borrow the cable to give it a try, so i had no kernel panic with sleep while on VGA.

Yes i was sort of dissapeared for a few days as i had some other things that i had to do.

Yes i read that, but couldn't find time to give an appropriate answer.

For the current issues:

Projector Key:
We may need to map it to F7 as for now it's the best solution i think,then assign the function on SysPrefs>Keyboard>Shortcuts

Im also curious to know what is the code to trigger the backlight keyboard GUI on real Macbooks.
We can implement it when we press Fn+Spacebar to show the indicator on the screen for backlight like it shows for brightness keys and volume.

ALCPlugFix needs another update as since 10.15.1 you can't even mount disk as RW anymore, it shows an error like operating failed (77).

So the best approach would be to update it / move it to a working directory that doesn't require system volume mounting.

For that i also forked CodecCommander from Rehabman and i will update it so hda-verb can be executed from a non mounting required location on the volume so it matches ALCPlugFix changes.
Kinda weird we can't even mount RW as root user now :banghead:
Luckily, like you said, we can just move those binaries to another, safe location and they should work just fine. The fix should be trivial, but if you need assistance, I can always submit a pull request after making the changes. We just need to decide which place is best to put them.

Until Catalina gets its issues worked out, I plan to stick with Mojave on my hacks. I figured after a few more updates Catalina will be stable enough to warrant an update.

After updating to Catalina my touch screen is not working anymore.
When I boot from recovery, the touchscreen works.
Can someone help me.

Kinda weird we can't even mount RW as root user now :banghead:
Luckily, like you said, we can just move those binaries to another, safe location and they should work just fine. The fix should be trivial, but if you need assistance, I can always submit a pull request after making the changes. We just need to decide which place is best to put them.

Until Catalina gets its issues worked out, I plan to stick with Mojave on my hacks. I figured after a few more updates Catalina will be stable enough to warrant an update.
Updated ALCPlugFix to v1.6:
v1.6 Changelog
  • Support macOS Catalina 10.15.1
  • Changed working directory from "usr/bin" to "usr/local/bin" (no root and system volume RW needed)
  • Updated install.sh
  • Updated uninstall.sh
After testing i found out that usr/local/bin doesn't require root access / mounting system volume as RW
Also this is a directory where CodecCommander.kext binary file "hda-verb" works as well.
So i remove the script code to mount system as RW as it returns with error anyway.
I just added the check to see if directory "usr/local/bin" exist, if not then mkdir usr/local/bin.
So now root access is not required anymore and it should technically work on all versions of macOS.

Also i forked CodecCommander.kext as it has been outdated and wasn't even compiling anymore.
I started a separate branch, will do a cleanup of the structure, fixed building problems and will maintain is as AppleALC doesn't have all those features baked in, until then i will try maintaining it.

By macOS 10.15.2 update i believe it should be stable enough for everyone to update.
Haven't had a single issue affecting my workflow so far (aside from ALCPlugFix).
Anyway this approach now with v1.6 is much cleaner for both users and the system as well as it leaves system integrity untouched.

After updating to Catalina my touch screen is not working anymore.
When I boot from recovery, the touchscreen works.
Can someone help me.
We can try if you attach "problem reporting" files so we can see what/where is the problem.

Updated ALCPlugFix to v1.6:
v1.6 Changelog
  • Support macOS Catalina 10.15.1
  • Changed working directory from "usr/bin" to "usr/local/bin" (no root and system volume RW needed)
  • Updated install.sh
  • Updated uninstall.sh
After testing i found out that usr/local/bin doesn't require root access / mounting system volume as RW
Also this is a directory where CodecCommander.kext binary file "hda-verb" works as well.
So i remove the script code to mount system as RW as it returns with error anyway.
I just added the check to see if directory "usr/local/bin" exist, if not then mkdir usr/local/bin.
So now root access is not required anymore and it should technically work on all versions of macOS.

Also i forked CodecCommander.kext as it has been outdated and wasn't even compiling anymore.
I started a separate branch, will do a cleanup of the structure, fixed building problems and will maintain is as AppleALC doesn't have all those features baked in, until then i will try maintaining it.

By macOS 10.15.2 update i believe it should be stable enough for everyone to update.
Haven't had a single issue affecting my workflow so far (aside from ALCPlugFix).
Anyway this approach now with v1.6 is much cleaner for both users and the system as well as it leaves system integrity untouched.
Nice work! I think by 10.15.2 I should be ready to update my hacks to Catalina. I will probably do my T440s first, so I should be able to help test new changes and iron out any issues.

Great Work. I have tested it on my t440s and it works perfekt. I used Kext Wizzard to copy the required kext into the correct folder. Even after update to the latest mojave version it works great.
Great Job.
I will see if I can install Catalina on this 440s , maybe someone can give me a hint if there is a Guide already :)

Great Work. I have tested it on my t440s and it works perfekt. I used Kext Wizzard to copy the required kext into the correct folder. Even after update to the latest mojave version it works great.
Great Job.
I will see if I can install Catalina on this 440s , maybe someone can give me a hint if there is a Guide already :)
I think @Sniki will be putting together a guide soon, at least I hope so :D

For anyone wondering, the update from 10.15.1 to 10.15.2 went absolutely smooth with only a kext cache rebuild needed to fix audio. Nothing else was needed to do.

Update: Realtek ALC3232 Audio Codec fully patched with Dock Support and automatic switching

Compared to other patches for desktops out there and/or with laptops with two Jacks most of them are patched to manually switch between input devices in menu bar: internal mic & Line-In
And also Outputs: for LineOut & Speaker

What i did after a lot of testing is that i successfully patched it to work like on Windows and Linux with Auto Switch.

Lets say you have headsets for example Apple EarPods (they have their microphone as well):

1. You plug them into the Laptop Headphone Jack, system automatically switches audio to Headphones and Line-In (headset microphone)
You unplug them they return into speakers and laptop mic

2. You plug them into the Dock Headphone Jack, system automatically switches audio to LineOut(headphones) and Line-In (headset microphone)
You unplug them they return into speakers and laptop mic

Next step is getting rid of CodecCommander.kext as vit9696 says that AppleALC itself does have these features.
I did send the SSDT-ALC3232 and asked for a sample/template how to port these fixes into AppleALC.

As soon as they send me a quick manual or template on how to port them, i will do the changes and send a pull request to AppleALC to update Layout-ID28 with DockSupport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back