Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad T440S using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I got myself a new wifi card and just tried to downgrade the BIOS in Windows 10 from V2.51 to V2.36 using the guide without any success. Can anyone confirm that this still works?

When running the command it opens a new window and then closes again shortly after without doing anything.

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Argie

EDIT: Sorry nevermind, I went into the BIOS settings and saw that an option to prevent users from Flashing the bios was enabled. Disabling it solved the problem.

EDIT AGAIN: I just wanted to share my experience quickly. I downgraded to BIOS 2.36. I found a BCM94360CS2 wifi card on eBay and installed it with an NGFF adaptor. I had to cut the adaptor so it doesn't press on a diode on the board. The height of the adaptor + wifi card presses on the bottom case when trying to close it, this is not too much of a problem since the case bulges just slightly. However, I noticed that the laptop started switching off randomly when moved and on battery. I was scratching my head a little but assumed the problem was some sort of switch that detects the bottom case. I found the two switches on the logic board that lined up with extrusions in the bottom case and put some tape on the extrusions to account for the extra height of the adaptor and wifi card. It seems the extra height was causing the switch to turn the laptop off. This was not the problem though, the external battery is defective.

As is known, everything works with this wifi card without further input needed. The other benefit is that they are dirt cheap on Ebay, I got mine for 10 euro here in Italy. The only thing is I needed to do was to toggle Handoff/Continuity option in System Preferences to get Handoff to work. Now everything works perfectly, Handoff/Continuity, Airdrop, also my Bluetooth keyboard works in the BIOS and Clover menu.

Thanks again to Sniki for the guide and help.

Last edited:
I have another curious problem that I am unable to fix for the moment. I noticed that the battery wasn't charging and when removing the power cord the computer shuts off. It seems that it is unable to boot or charge with the external battery attached. After it crashed the first time I got a message once saying the battery wasn't recognised (or supported), I didn't get to read it well because it only appeared for a moment. With the external battery attached just after the splash screen on boot it shuts off. Boots fine on the internal battery and/or with the power adaptor connected.

What could have cause this to happen? Dead battery or problem with the motherboard?

I have another curious problem that I am unable to fix for the moment. I noticed that the battery wasn't charging and when removing the power cord the computer shuts off. It seems that it is unable to boot or charge with the external battery attached. After it crashed the first time I got a message once saying the battery wasn't recognised (or supported), I didn't get to read it well because it only appeared for a moment. With the external battery attached just after the splash screen on boot it shuts off. Boots fine on the internal battery and/or with the power adaptor connected.

What could have cause this to happen? Dead battery or problem with the motherboard?
I believe it's either battery or motherboard,

If internal battery is charging correctly and working on battery, i believe it's the external battery problem.

One thing i would try is to do an EC (embedded controller) reset.
Remove Internal and external battery so there is no power in motherboard.
Press and Hold power button for 30-60sec, plug the batteries again and test.

If it still doesn't work, i hopefully assume that it's just a external battery problem.

I believe it's either battery or motherboard,

If internal battery is charging correctly and working on battery, i believe it's the external battery problem.

One thing i would try is to do an EC (embedded controller) reset.
Remove Internal and external battery so there is no power in motherboard.
Press and Hold power button for 30-60sec, plug the batteries again and test.

If it still doesn't work, i hopefully assume that it's just a external battery problem.
Okay I just tried that and now the laptop won't boot at all? The power button flashes 3 times when the adaptor is inserted but there is no life.

Okay I just tried that and now the laptop won't boot at all? The power button flashes 3 times when the adaptor is inserted but there is no life.
Im afraid you have a hardware problem or corrupted bios,
Try a CMOS reset as well, remove the CMOS battery as well and do the same procedure.

Im afraid you have a hardware problem or corrupted bios,
Try a CMOS reset as well, remove the CMOS battery as well and do the same procedure.
I unplugged the CMOS battery and tried the same procedure but still not turning on. I'm not convinced that it is a hardware issue since everything was working fine until I've started meddling with it.

Is there anything that can be done to repair a corrupted BIOS?

I seem to be learning quite a lot about this machine. I noticed the computer started up fine by plugging in the power adaptor with the internal battery and CMOS battery unplugged.

I then plugged/unplugged the internal battery and CMOS battery a few times and everything booted fine. It has also fixed the external battery problems of before.

Thank you again for your suggestions and sorry for the battery of problems. Hopefully this is the last one!

I seem to be learning quite a lot about this machine. I noticed the computer started up fine by plugging in the power adaptor with the internal battery and CMOS battery unplugged.

I then plugged/unplugged the internal battery and CMOS battery a few times and everything booted fine. It has also fixed the external battery problems of before.

Thank you again for your suggestions and sorry for the battery of problems. Hopefully this is the last one!
No problem.
Good thing that the problem is gone for you now, Enjoy your laptop !

First of all Thanks @Sniki for this wonderful guide!

I was tampering with the correct settings for RAM and tested whether there was a noticeable difference between giving MacOS 800 MHz and 1600 MHz in SMBIOS settings with GeekBench (result: no). I then took the Intel Power Gadget to look at the frequencies while running.
Strange thing is that when running GPU benchmarks the GPU frequency only goes to 850 MHz. The spec for HD4400 says the maximum frequency is 1,1 GHz. I played with the Performance settings in BIOS but this did not change a thing.
Then I compared the bench results under MacOS and Windows and it is quite clear: 2230 vs 2850 points.
Is there something one can do to get it there?

Last edited:
I got dw1560 but it doesn't work in windows it is detected with drivers installed bt working but not working. In MacOs everything work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back