Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad T440S using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Sniki ,

Thank you for your guide, I was wondering if your files and config would work on a t460 ?

thanks
They won't work, at least not the config.plist file.

But what you can do is create the USB Installer and dump ACPI Tables and Bootlog, by pressin F2 and F4 (Fn+F2 and Fn+F4) into Clover Bootloader menu, then reboot and upload the EFI of your USB Installer.

That way i can see your laptop configuration and help you create the files and fix the problems.

Device is natively called EC in our ACPI, not a single change done.
However according to the documentation, we may have to do some changes so the Boot-EC/AppleACPIEC doesn't match against our EC to initiate those USB Power overrides.
I will analyze that this weekend and see what can we come up with, as there should be no other reason for that to happen.
(Unless it's a hardware limitation).
I will test when Catalina comes out which may be next week, i will do a clean install but first i will install Windows 10 and all the OEM Drivers and see if the Power Properties issue is present on Windows 10.

Thanks,
Yes, if system is Catalina, run the two extra commands first, if not, continue with the script as it was.

I would be happy to have fixed these two problems this weekend, do the final cleanup update across all projects and prepare guides for macOS Catalina.

Then i will start working into Open Core.
Made the install/uninstall fix and sent a PR to you. I did it better than checking the current OS - I simply check to ensure that "/" is read-write before continuing. It not, it will remount and restart Finder. I do not have Catalina to test out these changes, so please check if they work on your end too!

As for EC: yes I believe our machines do not need any patches for EC since our laptop has a real EC device. This was problematic for my desktop machine, so I added a fake EC to that machine in preparation for Catalina.

I do not plan on upgrading my machines until it becomes more stable (probably around 10.15.1 or 10.15.2). However, I will still track this thread and continue to help where I can.

They won't work, at least not the config.plist file.

But what you can do is create the USB Installer and dump ACPI Tables and Bootlog, by pressin F2 and F4 (Fn+F2 and Fn+F4) into Clover Bootloader menu, then reboot and upload the EFI of your USB Installer.

That way i can see your laptop configuration and help you create the files and fix the problems.

Here is my efi folder, don't know actually if F2 and F4 generated files in there ?

thanks for you help.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 71
Made the install/uninstall fix and sent a PR to you. I did it better than checking the current OS - I simply check to ensure that "/" is read-write before continuing. It not, it will remount and restart Finder. I do not have Catalina to test out these changes, so please check if they work on your end too!
Thanks a lot for that.
I just merged the Pull Request and i will test tonight so i can give you feedback on how it is working.
As for EC: yes I believe our machines do not need any patches for EC since our laptop has a real EC device. This was problematic for my desktop machine, so I added a fake EC to that machine in preparation for Catalina.
I still think we may need a patch to stop loading our EC and load the Fake one, or just change the PNPxxx so it doesn't match against Boot-EC/AppleACPIEC so this one doesn't load to override the Power Properties.

Will do some more testing with this.
I do not plan on upgrading my machines until it becomes more stable (probably around 10.15.1 or 10.15.2). However, I will still track this thread and continue to help where I can.
Im already using it, macOS Catalina Beta 11 (GM) and will clean install public release.

Here is my efi folder, don't know actually if F2 and F4 generated files in there ?

thanks for you help.
Yes it is correct, ACPI dump and Bootlog is present, i will check the files and give you files when i have them ready.

@CoBrA2168 i did a modification to the script as it wasn't working, i added sudo command before mount -uw / and killallfinder:
Code:
# check if the root filesystem is writeable (starting with macOS 10.15 Catalina, the root filesystem is read-only by default)
if sudo test ! -w "/"; then
    echo "Root filesystem is not writeable.  Remounting as read-write and restarting Finder."
    sudo mount -uw /
    sudo killall Finder
fi
This applies to both install.sh and uninstall.sh

maybe sudo killall Finder wasn't necessary but it won't hurt anything at all and instead avoid any failure due to permissions.

Now it is working perfect.

Thank you for the script.

Thanks a lot for that.
I just merged the Pull Request and i will test tonight so i can give you feedback on how it is working.

I still think we may need a patch to stop loading our EC and load the Fake one, or just change the PNPxxx so it doesn't match against Boot-EC/AppleACPIEC so this one doesn't load to override the Power Properties.

Will do some more testing with this.

Im already using it, macOS Catalina Beta 11 (GM) and will clean install public release.
As far as I can tell, laptops do have a real EC and should remain present. However, if you want to test by removing our real EC and supplying a fake one, maybe that could help solve some of the USB Power issues?

Yes it is correct, ACPI dump and Bootlog is present, i will check the files and give you files when i have them ready.

@CoBrA2168 i did a modification to the script as it wasn't working, i added sudo command before mount -uw / and killallfinder:
Code:
# check if the root filesystem is writeable (starting with macOS 10.15 Catalina, the root filesystem is read-only by default)
if sudo test ! -w "/"; then
    echo "Root filesystem is not writeable.  Remounting as read-write and restarting Finder."
    sudo mount -uw /
    sudo killall Finder
fi
This applies to both install.sh and uninstall.sh

maybe sudo killall Finder wasn't necessary but it won't hurt anything at all and instead avoid any failure due to permissions.

Now it is working perfect.

Thank you for the script.
Oops. Like I said, I was never able to actually test the remount since I'm on Mojave. I should have assumed the mounting process would require sudo. Sorry about that. Glad you were able to get it quickly fixed!

As far as I can tell, laptops do have a real EC and should remain present. However, if you want to test by removing our real EC and supplying a fake one, maybe that could help solve some of the USB Power issues?
It is not loaded on macOS Catalina for some reasons, there are many other reports on forums that EC may not be necessary anymore about Power Properties. But our problem is not the EC itself, it's the matching that loads AppleACPIEC as it's the one that should not be loaded (as far as i read the forum, if im not mistaken).
So what we may need is to change the PNPxxx name of the EC device or something else so it doesn't let the AppleACPIEC load (which is the one that shouldn't according to Acidanthera documentation).
Oops. Like I said, I was never able to actually test the remount since I'm on Mojave. I should have assumed the mounting process would require sudo. Sorry about that. Glad you were able to get it quickly fixed!
You did an excellent job.
The script is perfect, it's only the sudo command that was necessary and now we have a perfectly working alc_fix
I did release v1.5 with the new changes.

Thank you for the support.

Hello @Sniki
I still have the same problem on the touch screen and on the touchpad.
I have tested with different version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext ... each time the problm is the same
You can see the problm on my video :
very strange ...
Thank you for your help !

Hello @Sniki
I still have the same problem on the touch screen and on the touchpad.
I have tested with different version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext ... each time the problm is the same
You can see the problm on my video :
very strange ...
Thank you for your help !
Nothing odd there - that's exactly how it's supposed to work.

hello @CoBrA2168
Check this video :
Normally, it is possible to scrolling or use multi-gesture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back