Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad T440S using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
--Update--
Found the issue with audio...after performing a clean install I used Migration Assistant to move profile, applications and documents (deselected settings option under profile) over to the new install from a backup. This overwrote the EFI with the previous version from the beta method. Copied the EFI from the USB, pasted it into the EFI on the new boot drive, and restarted. Audio now works. Strangely enough, though, the trackpad doesn't seem to be as responsive as it was using the the older EFI...
--/Update--

I was able to successfully install 10.14.6 following Sniki's excellent guide (still troubleshooting no audio in or out), but had to add an additional step between #2 and #3. After the first step of the install was complete and the machine rebooted, I selected the "Mac" ssd as per the instructions but instead of booting into the installation procedure a boot loop would occur. To get passed this, after the reboot I again press F12 which opens the firmware boot menu. I selected the USB Drive as boot and then, when presented with the Clover screen chose the Mac SSD. I was then able to proceed with the install following the instructions.

As was previously mentioned the updated Clover is a bit different than the guide. I chose an older version of Clover in order to follow the guide, so I now need to determine if an update to my Clover is necessary or if I can continue to use as-is.

Last edited:
Do you mind sharing your EFI to make sure I upgrade to latest Clover properly?
Here's what mine looks like on r5058:
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 11.31.58 AM.png

EDIT: @Sniki I also managed to test out the VoodooPS2 kext from the bugtracker today (see: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/302) Unfortunately the buttons didn't work, and clicks on the touchpad were a bit weird. Hoping we can help them fix this up because the gestures were amazing!

Last edited:
Here's what mine looks like on r5058:
View attachment 425039

EDIT: @Sniki I also managed to test out the VoodooPS2 kext from the bugtracker today (see: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/302) Unfortunately the buttons didn't work, and clicks on the touchpad were a bit weird. Hoping we can help them fix this up because the gestures were amazing!
They will eventually get fixed soon.

#everyone else with T440S:

New files are updated and live on github, go grab and replace config.plist and SSDT-T440S.aml
You can check the commits for the changes, it's a substantial update and code cleanup (you can notice it mostly on the config.plist on how much trash and things that were sometimes also causing problems were removed.

Let me know how this one works out.

Enjoy,
Sniki

They will eventually get fixed soon.

#everyone else with T440S:

New files are updated and live on github, go grab and replace config.plist and SSDT-T440S.aml
You can check the commits for the changes, it's a substantial update and code cleanup (you can notice it mostly on the config.plist on how much trash and things that were sometimes also causing problems were removed.

Let me know how this one works out.

Enjoy,
Sniki
Just upgraded my SSDT files and config with your recent changes. So far so good. Running latest Lilu + Related kexts along with Clover v2.5 r5058. Seems stable so far!

EDIT: @Sniki actually I might have found a slight issue. I was getting odd graphical glitches (when starting screensaver, playing YouTube, starting up Launchpad) and I think it's related to your frame buffer changes. I added back the older ones (which had 8 properties) and it went away. Otherwise, I'm using all of your latest changes. Although I also do customize the KBD.dsl file to my liking. :)

Last edited:
Just upgraded my SSDT files and config with your recent changes. So far so good. Running latest Lilu + Related kexts along with Clover v2.5 r5058. Seems stable so far!

EDIT: @Sniki actually I might have found a slight issue. I was getting odd graphical glitches (when starting screensaver, playing YouTube, starting up Launchpad) and I think it's related to your frame buffer changes. I added back the older ones (which had 8 properties) and it went away. Otherwise, I'm using all of your latest changes. Although I also do customize the KBD.dsl file to my liking. :)
Thanks for covering that up, i will add them again but a bit better than they were before.
Yes, your trackpad is a personal choice thing.

For me im using the standard trackpad with latest VoodooPS2 from Acidanthera and it's perfect for the non upgraded trackpad. All macOS gestures, force touch with the pressing, it's like a real Apple Force Touchpad, it's really nice.
I may not upgrade it on my X240 at all, at least not for now.

I will only upgrade to the 1080P Display and this laptop is absolutely perfect for my needs, im so glad i picked it up.
10 hours of battery life, backlight keyboard, 4G LTE (working natively on macOS), This thing is really satisfying !

The latest config.plist (plus framebuffer re-added) and SSDT work on my T440s.

The framebuffer glitching was easily reproducible with Chrome. Thanks @CoBrA2168 for saving the time hunting it down :)

Thanks for covering that up, i will add them again but a bit better than they were before.
Yes, your trackpad is a personal choice thing.

For me im using the standard trackpad with latest VoodooPS2 from Acidanthera and it's perfect for the non upgraded trackpad. All macOS gestures, force touch with the pressing, it's like a real Apple Force Touchpad, it's really nice.
I may not upgrade it on my X240 at all, at least not for now.

I will only upgrade to the 1080P Display and this laptop is absolutely perfect for my needs, im so glad i picked it up.
10 hours of battery life, backlight keyboard, 4G LTE (working natively on macOS), This thing is really satisfying !
Yeah I'm really looking forward to when the buttons work again with the VoodooPS2 Acidanthera kext since having those gestures will be fantastic! But I really like the physical buttons, so I will wait for an update.

I should mention that I had the KBD SSDT in use when I tested - I wonder if that's what caused the buttons to not work? It's odd because users on newer machines (X1C, T480, etc.) are reporting that the buttons do work...

Thank you for the feedback,

Even as they were before the patches were not good enough but in this case they do cause trouble as they are.

I will add the correct ones in a bit more cleaner way.
Also the SSDT-LED that i uploaded is incorrect, so there were some regressions by my side.
The WAK is not being called at all with the new SSDT-LED as i was tired when i uploaded and i uploaded the wrong one while doing the testing.

I will upload the new one later but can you guys do me a favor and test if glitches appear by only adding these properties into IGPU (remove all the old ones):
IGPU.png

Let me know how these properties work

Update: Don't add the framebuffer-stolenmem

Last edited:
I haven't yet tried the updated files from the most recent github push, but, when I start Photo Booth, it says that there is no connected camera. When I start Google Hangouts, it tells me that there's something wrong with my camera. Am I missing some special sauce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back