Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad T440S using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sniki I'm also discovering something new since I installed the new files. When I do a "restart" from macOS, the computer is very, very slow to actually restart (I've never actually made it to Clover). Would this have anything to do with the recent changes?

EDIT: Actually I don't think they were your changes. They are either from:
1) The new WiFi card or
2) The 10.14.6 supplemental update #2 that I installed today.

I'm still troubleshooting, but so far I've:
1. Reset the BIOS to defaults
2. Updated all Lilu and related kexts.
3. Updated to latest clover, including newest EFI drivers

Still having the slow restart...

EDIT 2: Did some more tests. Looks like it takes 6-7 minutes after a reboot to actually get back to Clover and booting again (so it eventually DOES restart). It spends the majority of the time on the Lenovo screen actually, so it appears to just be very, very slow for some reason.

I tried reverting back to the July ACPI/config files and I'm experiencing the same issue.

I'm remembering using Restart over the weekend when I got the new WiFi card installed, so I'm starting to think that is being caused by the recent supplemental update I installed tonight. I just reinstalled it using the .pkg you can download from Apple (instead of using the System Update function) and I'm still experiencing the same slowdown.

My question to everyone: does anyone else with the T440s or similar machine have this issue after installing the latest supplemental update for 10.14.6? I'm stumped at this point as to why my restart is now broken.

EDIT 3: new discovery - this problem goes away after a Sleep cycle. Still investigating....

EDIT 4: I found the problem/fix. After many, many reboots, I've determined that the cause of this issue is....SSDT-XOSI.dsl. I have no idea why. I also am not sure if this just started after 10.14.6 Supplemental Update #2, or if this was always an issue and I just never noticed.
@Sniki any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited:
Will the process described in the OP work with Sierra instead of Mojave? Or will I need a different set of kexts, etc?

Will the process described in the OP work with Sierra instead of Mojave? Or will I need a different set of kexts, etc?
I don't know from experience, but based on what I know about those kexts, it should work without any issues.

@CoBrA2168 i will investigate that, i will update to latest patch while using latest SSDT-XOSI.aml and see if i can produce that issue on my machine.

I've been busy into OC Development and hunting some bugs in ThinkPad Firmware that we now fixed and ThinkPads from this generation should be able to work with OC thanks to vit9696.
From the next OC release fixes will be included and they already are fixed in source if someone wants to build OC from source.

While transitioning i learned many new things that we still were doing wrong and will soon update the guides again...
Things are getting cleaner and cleaner even with Clover Configuration.

I had to work and test as i know that next release will be the first public beta and Catalina will be out in release and many people will bombard the forums with problems.
This way i will be in sync and be ready to offer help for others.

I do want to believe that i should have fixed the USB power issue completely now since it was a chain of unnecessary and wrong things.

Waiting for a better solution for LED Blink Fix which i believe can be achieved with a simple patch like SSDT-AWAC from the OC source instead of having to rename wak to zwak and place patched WAK into a SSDT-WAK with only the added single line of code to fix the LED Blink (it is overkill) even though it works totally fine but it doesn't need to be that complicated.

Will let you know as soon as files are updated.

@CoBrA2168 i will investigate that, i will update to latest patch while using latest SSDT-XOSI.aml and see if i can produce that issue on my machine.

I've been busy into OC Development and hunting some bugs in ThinkPad Firmware that we now fixed and ThinkPads from this generation should be able to work with OC thanks to vit9696.
From the next OC release fixes will be included and they already are fixed in source if someone wants to build OC from source.

While transitioning i learned many new things that we still were doing wrong and will soon update the guides again...
Things are getting cleaner and cleaner even with Clover Configuration.

I had to work and test as i know that next release will be the first public beta and Catalina will be out in release and many people will bombard the forums with problems.
This way i will be in sync and be ready to offer help for others.

I do want to believe that i should have fixed the USB power issue completely now since it was a chain of unnecessary and wrong things.

Waiting for a better solution for LED Blink Fix which i believe can be achieved with a simple patch like SSDT-AWAC from the OC source instead of having to rename wak to zwak and place patched WAK into a SSDT-WAK with only the added single line of code to fix the LED Blink (it is overkill) even though it works totally fine but it doesn't need to be that complicated.

Will let you know as soon as files are updated.
Thanks - I look forward to your updates. Once OpenCore is ready for us, I plan to switch over myself. But this machine is very stable (now that I've removed SSDT-XOSI.dsl) so I'm not in any hurry to switch at the moment.

I'm also still following closely the VoodooPS2 developments, hoping that it gets fully working for our machines.

Thanks - I look forward to your updates. Once OpenCore is ready for us, I plan to switch over myself. But this machine is very stable (now that I've removed SSDT-XOSI.dsl) so I'm not in any hurry to switch at the moment.

I'm also still following closely the VoodooPS2 developments, hoping that it gets fully working for our machines.
LED Blink after wake from sleep is now done as clean as it can get, with just a small SSDT-LED instead of having to patch the entire 3 page long WAK.

Will send you test files those 2-3 upcoming days to confirm if the USB Power issue has been completely fixed so i can push the update to all the projects.

SSDT-XOSI removed completely, we do not need it in our machines (some do require it though, but not need for us).

I still think you should've given a try to the test VoodooPS2 on the issue on Bugtracker, some people are reporting that it is working for them, it may work for you as well.

LED Blink after wake from sleep is now done as clean as it can get, with just a small SSDT-LED instead of having to patch the entire 3 page long WAK.

Will send you test files those 2-3 upcoming days to confirm if the USB Power issue has been completely fixed so i can push the update to all the projects.

SSDT-XOSI removed completely, we do not need it in our machines (some do require it though, but not need for us).

I still think you should've given a try to the test VoodooPS2 on the issue on Bugtracker, some people are reporting that it is working for them, it may work for you as well.
Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to the updated files, which I can test sometime this week or weekend.

Yes I saw that some people have buttons working on their X1C systems in particular. I'll give that a shot too when I get your new files (or maybe later today if I have time).

This may have been mentioned before but the latest version of clover (Clover_v2.5k_r5058) doesn't create the "Drivers64UEFI" folder. It only creates a "drivers" folder, under which is a "UEFI" folder, which contains .efi files that don't have the "-64" postfix in their names (e.g., drivers/UEFI/ApfsDriverLoader.efi instead of Drivers64UEFI/ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi). Does it matter? I went ahead and downloaded an older version of clover (Clover_v2.4k_r4920) which matches the tutorial, but I'm just curious.

This may have been mentioned before but the latest version of clover (Clover_v2.5k_r5058) doesn't create the "Drivers64UEFI" folder. It only creates a "drivers" folder, under which is a "UEFI" folder, which contains .efi files that don't have the "-64" postfix in their names (e.g., drivers/UEFI/ApfsDriverLoader.efi instead of Drivers64UEFI/ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi). Does it matter? I went ahead and downloaded an older version of clover (Clover_v2.4k_r4920) which matches the tutorial, but I'm just curious.
It's fine that they've moved, you just need to make sure the same drivers are in that folder as was before. A few of them will be populated by the Clover installer automatically (from selecting them during installation) whereas a few others you'll have to copy over before you reboot.

I upgraded to the latest Clover a few days ago without any issues.

Last edited:
It's fine that they've moved, you just need to make sure the same drivers are in that folder as was before. A few of them will be populated by the Clover installer automatically (from selecting them during installation) whereas a few others you'll have to copy over before you reboot.

I upgraded to the latest Clover a few days ago without any issues.
Do you mind sharing your EFI to make sure I upgrade to latest Clover properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back