Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad T440S using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
To anyone else with this laptop: do you have issues connecting devices to this laptop which require "more power"? Specifically I run into issues with the iPhone X / iPhone XS and iPads.
I just played around with my iPhone X and haven't had problems.

Maybe invest in a usb multimeter to gather some data? I have a drok one and my ports will burst up to 1.5A at 5V, which is about what I'd expect.

I just played around with my iPhone X and haven't had problems.

Maybe invest in a usb multimeter to gather some data? I have a drok one and my ports will burst up to 1.5A at 5V, which is about what I'd expect.
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I'm also curious: do you have the touchscreen enabled? I'm going to try to disable it, and see if that provides my ports with enough power. Sounds like I might have a faulty board.

@CoBrA2168
I have my Airport card arrived and installed inside my T440.
When I first install, the adapter card pushes the bottom cover so it bulges out around the Wifi card area.
I tried to cut the interface card to make sure it sit flush out, with resulting as below (black marks).
View attachment 417923

It result the same, the bottom cover of my Thinkpad still bulge out, but at least I can see that my interface card sits correctly and horizontally. I am thinking to modify my bottom cover (cut out around the area of WiFi card and make additional cover up) but that will be in the future.

Right now, I am happily enjoying my ThinkMac Air with full macOS functionality and native WF+BT functions.

@Sniki
It works flawlessly. Thanks a lot for your guide, especially on the Airport card. I am now happily enjoying my T440.
Thank you so much for providing those details and a report of how it fits. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that the back of the case won't fit anymore with the adapter and card installed. My card has already arrived, but my adapter will probably be arriving in a week or 2. Once they come, I'll see how well it fits in a T440s, if it even fits at all.

Thank you so much for providing those details and a report of how it fits. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that the back of the case won't fit anymore with the adapter and card installed. My card has already arrived, but my adapter will probably be arriving in a week or 2. Once they come, I'll see how well it fits in a T440s, if it even fits at all.

I am thinking of making a cut around the area of the WiFi card. Then with 3D Printing, making a cover with grooved area just to make the space on top of the protruding WiFi card when this cover is installed on the outside of the bottom cover. Here is my initial sketch.
Image-3.jpeg

And here is the area around my docking terminal and the water ducting, indicating the bulging of the cover.
Image-2.jpeg

Image.jpeg

I am thinking of making a cut around the area of the WiFi card. Then with 3D Printing, making a cover with grooved area just to make the space on top of the protruding WiFi card when this cover is installed on the outside of the bottom cover. Here is my initial sketch.
View attachment 418193

And here is the area around my docking terminal and the water ducting, indicating the bulging of the cover.
View attachment 418194
View attachment 418195
Ahh, that's actually not too bad. In practical, everyday usage, is it even noticeable?

The T440s is slimmer than the T440 so I'm curious if it will fit at all in my machine.

Ahh, that's actually not too bad. In practical, everyday usage, is it even noticeable?

Still usable for daily usage. Dont know how it affects the module inside, hopefully not major. All 4 sides of the laptop still mounts perfectly. It is bulging but not until the level that the bottom cannot be installed. Yet again, it is on my T440, and the T440s is slimmer. Might need to cut the bottom cover and making a 3D printed cover installed outside the bottom cover, utilizing the gap made between the bottom cover and the rubber feet (I am adding a silicone feet that is a little bit higher than the original rubber feet, so there is a small additional gap between bottom cover and the desk level).

@CoBrA2168 i did some analyzing on the Tluck version of VoodooPS2Controller code and found that during the porting process Rehabman or jcsnider had messed some values for the ClickPad that we use that resulted in less enjoyable touchpad experience compared to how it was with Tluck kext.
The values that rehabman/jcsnider did change were:
Code:
"BogusDeltaThreshX", 800,
"BogusDeltaThreshY", 800,
While on tluck they originally are:
Code:
"BogusDeltaThreshX", 100,
"BogusDeltaThreshY", 100,
I also reverted back "ScrollResolution", 800, just for testing purpose to see if it is smoother that way with the new values (this can be adjusted later without problem, the point is to test if these new values do improve the experience in general).

I did the adjustments on the SSDT-KBD.dsl on the repo, if you know how to build SSDT-T440S.aml give a try, if not i can compile one for you, just let me know.

@CoBrA2168 i did some analyzing on the Tluck version of VoodooPS2Controller code and found that during the porting process Rehabman or jcsnider had messed some values for the ClickPad that we use that resulted in less enjoyable touchpad experience compared to how it was with Tluck kext.
The values that rehabman/jcsnider did change were:
Code:
"BogusDeltaThreshX", 800,
"BogusDeltaThreshY", 800,
While on tluck they originally are:
Code:
"BogusDeltaThreshX", 100,
"BogusDeltaThreshY", 100,
I also reverted back "ScrollResolution", 800, just for testing purpose to see if it is smoother that way with the new values (this can be adjusted later without problem, the point is to test if these new values do improve the experience in general).

I did the adjustments on the SSDT-KBD.dsl on the repo, if you know how to build SSDT-T440S.aml give a try, if not i can compile one for you, just let me know.
Are you suggesting we can use these changes along with the acidanthera/VoodooPS2 project? Or should we use the latest Rehabman version?

It looks like that bug you opened is gaining some traction, the developers are working to fix some issues with that kext.

Are you suggesting we can use these changes along with the acidanthera/VoodooPS2 project? Or should we use the latest Rehabman version?

It looks like that bug you opened is gaining some traction, the developers are working to fix some issues with that kext.
No, im suggesting to use the Rehabman version with the changes to the SSDT and see if it feels better.

About the issue, yes and not just that, it seems that thanks to that they also fixed Notification Center gesture now :)
He has to implement the ClickPad and Trackpoint function and to do some more cleanups and the kext should be ready for replacement.

No, im suggesting to use the Rehabman version with the changes to the SSDT and see if it feels better.

About the issue, yes and not just that, it seems that thanks to that they also fixed Notification Center gesture now :)
He has to implement the ClickPad and Trackpoint function and to do some more cleanups and the kext should be ready for replacement.
I'm personally quite happy with the trackpad as it is now, but I would love the additional native gestures that the VoodooPS2 kext should supposedly add. That would be amazing.

I can still give it a shot though and report back. Also, I'm going to try to disable the touchscreen to see if that helps with USB power on my iPhone XS. I never use it anyway so it's basically just wasting battery.

I'm personally quite happy with the trackpad as it is now, but I would love the additional native gestures that the VoodooPS2 kext should supposedly add. That would be amazing.
Yes, but if you remember back in time when #37 you actually felt some difference into that compared to Tluck kext that we used previously.
About gestures, don't worry it just a matter of time and that kext will be ready and support ThinkPads.
I can still give it a shot though and report back.
I would like to if you don't mind as i can't test that on my L440 for now. If you confirm the changes to be better i will upload the changes to all thinkpad repos and update them.
Also, I'm going to try to disable the touchscreen to see if that helps with USB power on my iPhone XS. I never use it anyway so it's basically just wasting battery.
That can be a test worth trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back