Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad T440S using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, i really missed Thinkpad fan control on Linux. Is there any work around to get fan control to work properly on hackintosh ? (to detect fan speed and control it by temp)
Try HWMonitorSMC2. At least it can readout most values. I did not try fan control yet...
Also VoltageShift might be interesting for you - I cold undervolt my I7 for some 50 mV, this solved almost all fan noise for me. Last but not least you might want look at this Intel tool.

I am running Catalina 10.15.3 with Clover 4945 made with this tutorial and it works fine. I wanted to update Clover to 5107 in preparation for 10.15.4 and I run into problems.

I installed the same drivers, when I compare drivers64UEFI in old Clover and drivers/UEFI in the new Clover the have the same files.

kexts/Other remained the same, I just updated everything including Lilu and Whatevergreen. I do no have any of those kexts in Library/Extensions anymore as recommended in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-from-library-extensions-and-recache.293719/.

The problem is then after book I see the Apple logo and progress bar but when the progress bar reaches about half when I normally get a screen blik the screen juts goes black.

I did not change any other configuration, any ideas what the problem might be? Drivers are the same, kexts are the same, just Clover is newer. I am attaching both EFI folders form the old working and new broken Clove.

Attachments

• EFI-4945-working.zip
    22.4 MB · Views: 59
  • EFI-5107-broken.zip
    22.3 MB · Views: 70
I have plenty of improvements done locally but im still not completely done to push the changes to github and update the guide.

- USBInjectAll.kext removed
- SSDT-USB removed
- EHC1 to EH01 rename removed
- ESEL to ESEZ rename removed
- USBPorts.kext replaces all of these 4 above
- SAT1 to SATA rename removed (turned out it was purely cosmetical)
- DSM to XDSM rename removed

- removed the -cdfon and -igfxnohdmi boot-args and replaced with the appropriate patches into devices/properties

Modified SSDT-BATC to work under macOS only so it doesn't affect Linux or Windows
Modified SSDT-LED the same way as SSDT-BATC
Modified SSDT-KBD the same way as SSDT-BATC

Patched AppleALC > Realtek ALC3232 with dock support
To start Debugging ALC3232 codec on AppleALC to drop CodecCommander support as Acidanthera team are claiming these features of CodecCommander are present but not working for some reasons, i will start working for this soon.
So expect removal of:
- AlcPlugFix
- SSDT-ALC3232
- CodecCommander.kext

Switch smbios from MacBookAir6,2 to MacBookPro11,1

Remaining changes/fixes/improvements:
- Complete ALC3232 Patch for AppleALC without CC
- Fix External Monitors connected to any of the Dock Video Outputs (DVI/VGA/DisplayPort) causing a Kernel Panic if you attempt to sleep, restart or shutdown the laptop.

Attempt to improve TouchPad experience by tweaking the values a bit better than they currently are.

And... to be honest idk if there is left anything else to be done on *40 series thinkpads anymore.
At the current state of hackintosh, there is no other improvement left to be done except to switch to OpenCore. That is ready too but i won't publish it without publishing the OpenCore guide which im working on as otherwise, people will bombard the thread asking for What is X,Y,Z why is that so, this way, that way etc.

What may come up is IGPU provisioning support and DRM support and a possible Card Reader kext if someone magically decides to work on that.

Sorry for the TLDR post.

@Sniki

Hope you are in safe and healthy condition, in light of this Corona pandemic.

Any chance you have finished this latest update?
I am specifically interested for system definition change from Macbook Air to Macbook Pro.
I am trying an application for conferencing (in light of this Corona virus pandemic) that has virtual background features. It stated that, virtual background feature requires minimum MacOS HS (I am on Mojave) with minimum quad core computer. I tried using my T440 with Macbook Air definition and it cannot run the virtual background, which I think is normal considering my T440 is i5-4250U which is 2 core basis.
However, when I try on my Macbook Pro mid 2012 with i7 3th Gen 2 core (3520M, if I search correctly), the virtual background works.

I wonder if the definition of Macbook Air and Macbook Pro differs in how some applications run its features, even though it is the same 2 core physical processor? Thus, I want to try to have my T440 with Macbook Pro definition.

Thank you.

@Sniki

Hope you are in safe and healthy condition, in light of this Corona pandemic.

Any chance you have finished this latest update?
I am specifically interested for system definition change from Macbook Air to Macbook Pro.
I am trying an application for conferencing (in light of this Corona virus pandemic) that has virtual background features. It stated that, virtual background feature requires minimum MacOS HS (I am on Mojave) with minimum quad core computer. I tried using my T440 with Macbook Air definition and it cannot run the virtual background, which I think is normal considering my T440 is i5-4250U which is 2 core basis.
However, when I try on my Macbook Pro mid 2012 with i7 3th Gen 2 core (3520M, if I search correctly), the virtual background works.

I wonder if the definition of Macbook Air and Macbook Pro differs in how some applications run its features, even though it is the same 2 core physical processor? Thus, I want to try to have my T440 with Macbook Pro definition.

Thank you.
Im healthy, although i work on a bank, im working with gloves and a mask and taking showers everytime i come back from work.
However now im working only 2 hours per day 7:00AM-9:00AM so i will have plenty of time to complete my long delayed projects, including the T440.

I aim to complete everything this week as i really have time and no excuse to delay them further.

I will try my best to complete everything.

Hey everyone!
@Sniki: First of all: Thank you very much for your in depth-guide. It is really helpful and it's awesome to see someone put so much effort into it.

To my problem: Although I'm not really a newbie on doing a hackintosh setup, my t440s drives me kinda crazy atm. I followed the guide step by step and im stuck at booting into the installer.
My device is a T440s with an i7 4600U, 12GB of RAM and the FHD Touch Display.I replaced the Trackpad with a T450 Pad and I replaced the stock Wlan with a DW1820A CN-0VW3T3. BIOS is running in Version 2.53 modded with whitelist-removal and advanced options. Booting into Ubuntu or Windows 10 is no problem at all. Security Chip is disabled, as well as ATM and TPM.

I created a 10.14.6 install medium as shown in the guide, installed Clover r4972 (with the options from the guide) and copied the up2date kexts that I downloaded into the matching folders.

When I try and boot with this medium, clover is running but when I start booting in verbose mode, the below picture is showing.

I already tried resetting BIOS settings to default, en-/disabling the WiFi-Card and different Clover-Versions (5070 and 4945) as well as 10.15.3. I hope you guys have an idea and I just don't see the obvious.

Greetings
Soul

Attachments

• IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
Hey everyone!
@Sniki: First of all: Thank you very much for your in depth-guide. It is really helpful and it's awesome to see someone put so much effort into it.

To my problem: Although I'm not really a newbie on doing a hackintosh setup, my t440s drives me kinda crazy atm. I followed the guide step by step and im stuck at booting into the installer.
My device is a T440s with an i7 4600U, 12GB of RAM and the FHD Touch Display.I replaced the Trackpad with a T450 Pad and I replaced the stock Wlan with a DW1820A CN-0VW3T3. BIOS is running in Version 2.53 modded with whitelist-removal and advanced options. Booting into Ubuntu or Windows 10 is no problem at all. Security Chip is disabled, as well as ATM and TPM.

I created a 10.14.6 install medium as shown in the guide, installed Clover r4972 (with the options from the guide) and copied the up2date kexts that I downloaded into the matching folders.

When I try and boot with this medium, clover is running but when I start booting in verbose mode, the below picture is showing.

I already tried resetting BIOS settings to default, en-/disabling the WiFi-Card and different Clover-Versions (5070 and 4945) as well as 10.15.3. I hope you guys have an idea and I just don't see the obvious.

Greetings
Soul
Have you set:
into config.plist > SMBIOS > Trust=Yes ?

Have you set:
into config.plist > SMBIOS > Trust=Yes ?

Made no difference... Attached is my clover folder on the install medium...

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
Status update: I managed to get it to boot - some of my BIOS settings have been messed up. In the advanced BIOS-Options after restoring default config, a lot of the ACPI-Features have been turned off, after reactivating them it worked though.

Now I'm stuckat the installer again, showing the screen below and the last -v messages... Someone got an idea?

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
Status update: I managed to get it to boot - some of my BIOS settings have been messed up. In the advanced BIOS-Options after restoring default config, a lot of the ACPI-Features have been turned off, after reactivating them it worked though.

Now I'm stuckat the installer again, showing the screen below and the last -v messages... Someone got an idea?
i think „CSM“ is off in Bios.
it should be on

i think „CSM“ is off in Bios.
it should be on

Thanks a lot, that did it. Now everything is working fine - just WiFi isn't working yet... I got 2 different WiFi-Cards, a DW1820A (0VW3T3) and a BCM94360CS2 with M2 NGFF adapter. Both aren't working. I can boot without kernel panic with the DW1820A and brcmfx-driver=1 bootflag, but the card is not really showing up in system information, under "Wi-Fi" there is no interface listed.

Using the BCM9439CS2, I can boot without AirportBrcmFixup.kext and BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext and it actually recognises the Card as "AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x117)" but there are no Networks discovered and if you look into the errors, kernel (AirPortBrcmNIC) gives lots of error messages. -> "wl0: fatal error, reinitializing, total count of reinit's[239], @'wlapi_wlc_fatal_error':701".

Someone got an idea how to fix this? ;)

Thanks a lot again,

Soul

//Edit 30.03.20: Tried lots of different combinations but the DW1820A seems to be something else than 0VW3T3 and several sources claimed, that the errors I was getting on the CS2 are pointing to an electrical fault. Decided to send both cards back and order a DW1560. I'll report back when I got any news on the next card ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back