Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad T440S using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CoBrA2168 have you tested USB ports Power issues with latest changes ?

If you noticed on the config.plist the amount of bloat removed is big enough to consider a test as many things that could've caused issues have been removed.
config.plist /Devices/Properties/USB has been completely removed
AppleRTC and FixRTC are also things that may correlate with the USB Ports, native RTC works fine and i removed these fixes.

For more reference you can refer to the major update commit where is the big cleanup on config.plist

Thank you guys for confirming this.
I finished the last cleanup and uploading the final changes in a few minutes.
At this point the cleanup is so big that now we only have 5 SSDTs in total which i wonder whether i should build SSDT-T440S.aml or let everyone save .dsl files as .aml and place them on patched folder.

Two things to consider are:
1. Only reason i would do this is for the sake of maintenance burden.
2. Question myself if this will bring more trouble and problem reporting by users saying XYZ is not working and the reason is they:
A) Place the .dsl files on patched folder as they are and not save them as .aml
B) Don't know how to save .dsl files as .aml
C) They forget to place one of the SSDTs

So i think it should be better to build SSDT-T440S.aml

At this point now the setup is as clean as it can possibly get therefore i don't except any big update at all.
The only possibilities that may come up are:
- When VoodooPS2 from Acidanthera is fully ready and at that point i will need to adjust SSDT-KBD to get the perfect setup for touchpads using that kext.
- After patching ALC3232 audio codec with Dock Support and in case the two extra nodes need fixes on SSDT-ALC3232

At that point a final update may come up as from now on i will start working on OpenCore.

Try the latest files (config.plist & SSDT-T440S.aml) and reboot.
If that doesn't fix your problem, try adding AirportBrcmFixup.kext and see if it fixes your problems.
Thanks for cleaning that up in the repository. I don't think I'll need to make any updates unless you made additional changes past the Framebuffer cleanup and the fixed SSDT-LED.

I think providing the compiled SSDT-T440S.aml is not a bad idea. Like you said, these files shouldn't change much going forward. Personally, I make changes to the KBD file anyway to suit my liking, and then compile the main SSDT myself. But other non-technical folk might find that difficult.

The last thing for me to make this machine perfect is the fixed VoodooPS2 kext. And if someone were to pick up the reigns on the SD card reader kext.

@CoBrA2168 have you tested USB ports Power issues with latest changes ?

If you noticed on the config.plist the amount of bloat removed is big enough to consider a test as many things that could've caused issues have been removed.
config.plist /Devices/Properties/USB has been completely removed
AppleRTC and FixRTC are also things that may correlate with the USB Ports, native RTC works fine and i removed these fixes.

For more reference you can refer to the major update commit where is the big cleanup on config.plist
You know, I haven't tested the USB problem since these changes. I'll give it a shot later today and report back.

@CoBrA2168 are there any other changes you make on the SSDT-KBD besides the ScrollResolution from 800 to 400 ?

The fixed VoodooPS2 shouldn't take long considering how things are going, i believe it should be fixed before the end of this year.
After the support is ready, we may have to adjust SSDT-KBD to correlate with the new kext.
In case i don't update the TouchPad to the one with Physical Buttons when the kext gets proper support, i believe i can count on you to figure out the optimal values and send a PR ?

As for me with the standard touchpad (ClunkPad) im using the kext since the september update as TrackPoint is working for me now and the Phyiscal Buttons are not present so it's perfect for me.
I may have to tweak the values a bit as i think i have to somehow adjust the height of the touchpad in SSDT because two fingers rotate or zoom in and zoom out is not working on 100% of the touchpad surface.
20% of the top surface is not functioning with two fingers or 3.

Note: i recently started leaving kexts into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other and have a clean installation.
With the additions of Lilu.kext, i believe it is not necessary to install kexts into L/E anymore and instead it is much more beneficial:
- If you have a problem with a new kext causing panic, you can simply drop it from Clover Boot Menu Settings
- After each update, no longer is it required for you to rebuild caches or after each kext updates.
- Sometimes kexts tend to escape from cache and not loading.
- Way much easier maintenance and updates as you simply delete and add the newer kext / or replace.

Also a sidenote: ALCPlugFix is now a separate repository and added a newer build (from now on the release tab).
I will remove it across all other ThinkPad Projects and update guides accordingly with the link to my ALCPlugFix repo.

Thanks for the consistent support and feedback.

@CoBrA2168 are there any other changes you make on the SSDT-KBD besides the ScrollResolution from 800 to 400 ?

The fixed VoodooPS2 shouldn't take long considering how things are going, i believe it should be fixed before the end of this year.
After the support is ready, we may have to adjust SSDT-KBD to correlate with the new kext.
In case i don't update the TouchPad to the one with Physical Buttons when the kext gets proper support, i believe i can count on you to figure out the optimal values and send a PR ?

As for me with the standard touchpad (ClunkPad) im using the kext since the september update as TrackPoint is working for me now and the Phyiscal Buttons are not present so it's perfect for me.
I may have to tweak the values a bit as i think i have to somehow adjust the height of the touchpad in SSDT because two fingers rotate or zoom in and zoom out is not working on 100% of the touchpad surface.
20% of the top surface is not functioning with two fingers or 3.

Note: i recently started leaving kexts into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other and have a clean installation.
With the additions of Lilu.kext, i believe it is not necessary to install kexts into L/E anymore and instead it is much more beneficial:
- If you have a problem with a new kext causing panic, you can simply drop it from Clover Boot Menu Settings
- After each update, no longer is it required for you to rebuild caches or after each kext updates.
- Sometimes kexts tend to escape from cache and not loading.
- Way much easier maintenance and updates as you simply delete and add the newer kext / or replace.

Also a sidenote: ALCPlugFix is now a separate repository and added a newer build (from now on the release tab).
I will remove it across all other ThinkPad Projects and update guides accordingly with the link to my ALCPlugFix repo.

Thanks for the consistent support and feedback.
Thanks for the updates. I didn't get to test the USB functionality yesterday but I plan to tonight.

Yes, once we know what changes are needed to the KBD SSDT, I'll do a pull request. I'll wait until the new kext is out to do that. Right now, all I change is ScrollResolution.

I still install everything in /L/E for now. That way we can use kernel cache. I can see the benefits of Clover/Kexts/Other as well (mostly the ones you mentioned). Will this change with OpenCore?

I'll also be sure to update to the latest ALCPlugFix. I noticed your new repo for it with a 1.4 release. Is that newer than what was in the T440s from a few weeks ago?

I still install everything in /L/E for now. That way we can use kernel cache. I can see the benefits of Clover/Kexts/Other as well (mostly the ones you mentioned). Will this change with OpenCore?
Yes, it will, OpenCore recommends leaving kexts in EFI/OC/kexts.
Although you can still install them into L/E i wouldn't do so as i would follow their recommendations and my same points of benefits of leaving system installation clean.
At the same time, Catalina enhanced restrictions of touching the integrity of the os will force everyone into using the recommended way.
I'll also be sure to update to the latest ALCPlugFix. I noticed your new repo for it with a 1.4 release. Is that newer than what was in the T440s from a few weeks ago?
Yes it is newer version than that one (that was v1.3) that i had uploaded as zip.
This is the latest version as first release build v1.4 because i had build 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 done locally.

Yes, it will, OpenCore recommends leaving kexts in EFI/OC/kexts.
Although you can still install them into L/E i wouldn't do so as i would follow their recommendations and my same points of benefits of leaving system installation clean.
At the same time, Catalina enhanced restrictions of touching the integrity of the os will force everyone into using the recommended way.

Yes it is newer version than that one (that was v1.3) that i had uploaded as zip.
This is the latest version as first release build v1.4 because i had build 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 done locally.
With that in mind, I might switch over to the Other folder as well. It is a pain to deal with permissions/ownership in /L/E. Also, I need to use LiluFriend.kext on one of my machines to ensure that Lilu is loaded early since sometimes AppleALC wouldn't load correctly. Switching to Other on both of my machines will simplify that, even if it takes an extra couple of seconds to boot.

I'll also install a new ALCPlugFix as well. We should implement an uninstall script for it too (should be pretty straightforward).

Has anyone tested the headphone jack with the latest files from the repo? Audio (speakers) works just fine, but I have issues with no playback from the headphone jack. I made sure to run the install.sh to install the new ALCPlugFix. The only changes I made to config.plist was to copy over my previous SMBIOS configuration using a text editor.

Has anyone tested the headphone jack with the latest files from the repo? Audio (speakers) works just fine, but I have issues with no playback from the headphone jack. I made sure to run the install.sh to install the new ALCPlugFix. The only changes I made to config.plist was to copy over my previous SMBIOS configuration using a text editor.
I have not, but I will add that to my testing later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back