Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad T440S using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I installed MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 with this guide.

Works fine.

But

1. Touchpad have issue. Not works correctly. (How it fix)

2. How i can view dual battery support and it works or no?

3. Audio jack some time not working.

Install this Kext and touchpad, scroll works fine but not works buttons :)

Hello and thanks for the wonderful guide. I followed it to install it on my T440s and everything works almost perfectly. However, I have an issue connecting an external monitor - Dell U2718Q. The monitor has a native resolution of 3840x2160. I connected it through the mini DP port on the laptop, to the DP port on the monitor. For some reason, the maximum resolution detected by the OS is 2560x1440 but the image is not clear , even with font smoothing turned on and/or HiDPI enabled. Setting to any of the available resolutions does not produce a clean image because the OS "thinks" this monitor has a native resolution of 2560x1440. If I force a resolution of 3840x2160 (using RDP, SwitchResX), the image becomes fuzzy.

I know this should work, because 3840x2160 is works with Windows and Ubuntu out of the box on the same machine, connected the same way. Also, if I connect a MBP the same way (mini DP on the MBP to DP on the Dell), it again works correctly. So, this is not a hardware issue.

Any ideas?

[Edit]: I also followed this guide to enable custom resolutions on the T440s. This is how I managed to make it switch to 3840x2160. But as mentioned - it produces fuzzy image
Try attaching "Problem Reporting" files and IOREG with External Display connected.
Hi @Sniki , I am still stuck with the DW1820A CN-0VW3T3. You recommended it for this guide.
Would you mind looking into my problems?
I looked through the forums and found a lot of trouble with this Wifi card and some state it does not work with Mojave at all. I also tried several ideas from this and that thread, but the best state I could reach was that it is booting up at all - Bluetooth and Wifi not working, but at least it comes up. :rolleyes:
Attach "Problem Reporting" files so i can see what is happening.
Hi everyone,

I installed MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 with this guide.

Works fine.

But

1. Touchpad have issue. Not works correctly. (How it fix)

2. How i can view dual battery support and it works or no?

3. Audio jack some time not working.
1. What problems are you experiencing with Touchpad ?, explain your issue in more details.

2. Dual Battery is supported by only merging two batteries into a single one with SSDT-BATC that it is merged into SSDT-T440S.aml and by patching(renaming) BAT0 and BAT1 notifiers into BATC.
Otherwise macOS has buggy Dual battery support and doesn't detect them correctly.

3. I updated alc_fix to a newer version and i will upload also some new files for this laptop later tonight with even more improvements, the new alc_fix fixes the problems where sometimes audio jack doesn't work or gives static noise.
Hello all, seeking some help.
I followed the guide, and everything worked out well the first time - got everything to install and boot.

Then all of a sudden one day, the machine just boot loops at the black load screen with a white apple logo.
I then proceeded to re-do everything from scratch - delete all HD partitions, re-setup USB boot drive as per the guide.

Still, it restarts every time I try to boot or even load the macOS installer.

Does anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting directions?
- The bios is whitelist removed
- The security chip is set to onboard & disabled
- Intel theft prevention is disabled
- Secure boot is disabled

Thanks in advance
Have you tried an EC reset ?

Detach all power from laptop, remove External battery, remove charger, disable internal battery on Bios
and after laptop turns off after disabling internal battery in bios.
Press and hold the power button for 30sec to 1 min.
Release it, attach external battery and plugin the adapter and give it a try

@Sniki I look forward to your updates, especially an updated alc_fix. It works for the most part, but every once in a while I get static or the headphone jack simply dies and a sleep/reboot cycle is required.

Also, I saw your message over the weekend regarding testing the updated VoodooPS2. It seems as though other people have tested with the 3-button layout and it is confirmed not working yet. If you still would like me to test it out, let me know, otherwise I'll wait for the next update.

@Sniki I look forward to your updates, especially an updated alc_fix. It works for the most part, but every once in a while I get static or the headphone jack simply dies and a sleep/reboot cycle is required.

Also, I saw your message over the weekend regarding testing the updated VoodooPS2. It seems as though other people have tested with the 3-button layout and it is confirmed not working yet. If you still would like me to test it out, let me know, otherwise I'll wait for the next update.
Go grab the new alc_fix from the T440,T440P,X240 or L440 repositories as i updated it and uploaded there.
One thing im not certain is if the new install.sh works or not as macOS Mojave removed /usr/local/bin directory and now we can only add on /usr/bin/ give it a try and try browsing into that directory and see if it does get created after the script is completed.
As the install.sh has been updated to create that directory if it doesn't exist, im just curious to know if it does or not.

Go grab the new alc_fix from the T440,T440P,X240 or L440 repositories as i updated it and uploaded there.
One thing im not certain is if the new install.sh works or not as macOS Mojave removed /usr/local/bin directory and now we can only add on /usr/bin/ give it a try and try browsing into that directory and see if it does get created after the script is completed.
As the install.sh has been updated to create that directory if it doesn't exist, im just curious to know if it does or not.
I will give it a shot this weekend. Are there any other updates you have planned?

I'm looking forward to using VoodooPS2 soon once it's fixed.

EDIT: @Sniki I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but your install script will fail at this line because the directory structure doesn't exist:

The making of the /usr/local/bin should be fine. We could also modify it so that it just runs from /usr/bin instead of messing with /usr/local/bin.

Last edited:
I will give it a shot this weekend. Are there any other updates you have planned?

I'm looking forward to using VoodooPS2 soon once it's fixed.
I will update the guides accordingly to use VoodooPS2 of Acidanthera for the users that have the standard touchpad without physical buttons (that the laptop came with) because it works excellent, TrackPoint works on the testing kext that usr-sse2 uploaded but also release builds work perfect minus the trackpoint.
We are close because they announced on their bugtracker that for September release they have on their to do list to add TrackPoint and Physical Buttons support for ThinkPads on VoodooPS2 so it will be solved until 1-5 september and release build should be available to everyone.

About updates yes actually pretty big ones.
Previously i patched Battery status from the available Patches on maciASL and ported to hotpatch.

Now this time, i patched DSDT for battery status on my own by following the rehabman guide on how to patch DSDT for battery status.
I can say that tons of unnecessary things were patched for no reason because the maciASL patch was available for many thinkpads, it used to patch things that are not needed which in fact only did cause more harm than good.

I did then port it into a new SSDT-BAT which i even took care of spacing on the code, not to mention the patching part.
It's much smaller now and less things patched, only what is needed and accessed on ACPI.

Separated SSDT-BAT, SSDT-BATC and SSDT-WAK instead of all of them how they were in one place.

Also about the iPhone XS issue with USB Power, you are right, i just tested on my Lenovo ThinkPad X240 right now, the left port is on constant loop of charging, like you are just connecting,disconnecting,connecting every 2-3 sec.
On the right side USB Port the iPhone XS does charge normally but still on ioreg it shows connection and disconnection of the ports, i collected ioregs with the error and while work on that issue tonight if time permits.

I will update the guides accordingly to use VoodooPS2 of Acidanthera for the users that have the standard touchpad without physical buttons (that the laptop came with) because it works excellent, TrackPoint works on the testing kext that usr-sse2 uploaded but also release builds work perfect minus the trackpoint.
We are close because they announced on their bugtracker that for September release they have on their to do list to add TrackPoint and Physical Buttons support for ThinkPads on VoodooPS2 so it will be solved until 1-5 september and release build should be available to everyone.

About updates yes actually pretty big ones.
Previously i patched Battery status from the available Patches on maciASL and ported to hotpatch.

Now this time, i patched DSDT for battery status on my own by following the rehabman guide on how to patch DSDT for battery status.
I can say that tons of unnecessary things were patched for no reason because the maciASL patch was available for many thinkpads, it used to patch things that are not needed which in fact only did cause more harm than good.

I did then port it into a new SSDT-BAT which i even took care of spacing on the code, not to mention the patching part.
It's much smaller now and less things patched, only what is needed and accessed on ACPI.

Separated SSDT-BAT, SSDT-BATC and SSDT-WAK instead of all of them how they were in one place.

Also about the iPhone XS issue with USB Power, you are right, i just tested on my Lenovo ThinkPad X240 right now, the left port is on constant loop of charging, like you are just connecting,disconnecting,connecting every 2-3 sec.
On the right side USB Port the iPhone XS does charge normally but still on ioreg it shows connection and disconnection of the ports, i collected ioregs with the error and while work on that issue tonight if time permits.
Wow! I look forward to trying out all of these changes. Thanks again for your continued support for our hardware.

Thanks for testing the iPhone on your machine. Glad to hear it's not just my hardware. I recently got a hold of a USB hub so I was planning on testing that too this weekend. However, it's unpowered so I don't expect any changes. If I can get a powered hub I'd like to test that, since my theory is that this is a power-related issue. I also have an iPhone X and that device also exhibits strange behavior sometimes, but not nearly as often as the iPhone XS which rarely works.

Also, please see my note above about the ALCPlugFix. If you want, I can fork your copy on your repo and modify the install script to use /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin.

Wow! I look forward to trying out all of these changes. Thanks again for your continued support for our hardware.

Thanks for testing the iPhone on your machine. Glad to hear it's not just my hardware. I recently got a hold of a USB hub so I was planning on testing that too this weekend. However, it's unpowered so I don't expect any changes. If I can get a powered hub I'd like to test that, since my theory is that this is a power-related issue. I also have an iPhone X and that device also exhibits strange behavior sometimes, but not nearly as often as the iPhone XS which rarely works.

Also, please see my note above about the ALCPlugFix. If you want, I can fork your copy on your repo and modify the install script to use /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin.
Yes you have my confirmation that your Laptop has no hardware issue so now it should be only those two possibilites:
1. Patching issues, will do some testing right now
2. Possible hardware limitation but i see no reason for this either so i will investigate into this.

Thanks for pointing the problem on the script, i did modify it at that part but i will edit so it does copy in usr/bin where everything else is, i see no reason to create separate directory for only 2 files.

Update: i actually had the corrected install.sh locally but forgot to replace the old one with the fixed one with installation at usr/bin

Yes you have my confirmation that your Laptop has no hardware issue so now it should be only those two possibilites:
1. Patching issues, will do some testing right now
2. Possible hardware limitation but i see no reason for this either so i will investigate into this.

Thanks for pointing the problem on the script, i did modify it at that part but i will edit so it does copy in usr/bin where everything else is, i see no reason to create separate directory for only 2 files.

Update: i actually had the corrected install.sh locally but forgot to replace the old one with the fixed one with installation at usr/bin
Hate when that happens. :mrgreen:

Whenever you have the USB fix ready, I'll test out both the new ALCPlugFix along with the USB. Will you be able to update the T440s repo so everything is consolidated in one place?

Thanks again!

@CoBrA2168 USB Power issue has been fixed, it took a lot of time to find the root of the problem but it's finally fixed.
Tested like 3 reboots and 3 times after wake from sleep on my Lenovo ThinkPad X240 and the issue is resolved.

The problem was actually caused by a chain of problems:
  1. SSDT-ESEL has been not working till recently due to the fact of missing "correct" External Declaration, therefore ESEL was causing issues without USB Port routing things that it's known to do (that's why disabling ESEL,XSEL,XWAK is required to implement USB Ports correctly "if they/it are/is present").
  2. MacBookAir6,2 and MacBookPro11,1 Power Properties that are present on /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist have:
Code:
kUSBSleepPortCurrentLimit 2100
KUSBWakePortCurrentLimit 2100
While for example MacBookPro 14,1 and 14,3 (which Properties i do use on my Lenovo V330-15IKB since i use 14,1 as smbios) do have higher limit:
Code:
kUSBSleepPortCurrentLimit 3000
KUSBWakePortCurrentLimit 3000
Hence the fact that even some macbook air and macbook pro users reported some of these issues on real Apple hardware as well which should definitely be MacbookAir6,2 and below and MacbookPro 11,1 and below as they have those smaller limit properties set on /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

After i did override the info.plist PowerProperties values with the injected ones on SSDT-USB iPhone XS kept charging and everything seemed to be ok but when i opened the IOREG i noticed the horror scene happening on XHC :twisted:
iPhone showed connecting and disconnecting every second on that injected port which seemed really weird (although iPhoneXS seemed to be charging correctly/constantly like on adapter).
Then i decided to debug system and when i checked logs, the "demon" ESEL was constantly disturbing USB ports trying to route them somewhere else to a nonexistent port somewhere.

Then i noticed with new MaciASL from acidanthera that SSDT-ESEL was giving an issue on the missing scope prefix.
i Corrected the External declaration, placed fixed SSDT-ESEL.aml into EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and rebooted.

Voila, Problem solved !

3. i think instant wake fix #2 was not necessary and was something power related to usb ports as well which caused issues. laptop sleeps fine with only instant wake #1 fix even if usb port is plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back