Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo ThinkPad T440S [OpenCore 0.6.7]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! Thanks for that. Looks like a customized fork of VirtualSMC just for Lenovo devices. Not what I thought originally but nevertheless very cool stuff. Sounds promising!
Actually it’s a sort of VirtualSMC plugin as it has dependencies on VirtualSMC.
Unless he removed that recently and changed it to work natively.
Nonetheless with all the recent changes more patching will be moved to kexts and acpi side will be enlightened quite a lot.

For example BrightnessKeys will be a VoodooPS2 plugin like VoodooInput to handle Brightness Keys for all laptop (without the need to tweak those).
We worked into that with Zhen-Zhen.
So patches for Brightness keys will not be necessary anymore.

Into YogaSMC there is a lot of development going on, the mic mute & the LED and stuff will be configured there and work natively without having to patch SSDT for that either.
Stuff like battery conservation, LED blinks and stuff.
I will need to do some cleanup on the part of ThinkPad Assistant SSDT as a lot of that manual work will be done natively with YogaSMC.

We may need to pinpoint Mszturc to YogaSMC repository to do some cleanup on ThinkPad Assistant

VoodooRMI is also the new touchpad kext which works perfect.

VoodooSMBUS is also the other SMBUS kext which also enables additional Power Management and supports VoodooRMI.

Itlwm is the next “dream come true” as Intel cards now work and we don’t need to deal with Bios Mods and leave ourself exposed by using older bios versions which have security holes and stuff.
Unless you guys have mods on latest ones.

The reason i skipped two releases is that i have been busy with real life stuff current version is stable enough as of now as it is.

macOS Big Sur beta is still buggy, on my MBP especially, so i will be busy for two more weeks with real life things and after that i may possibly have more time for hackintosh.
Hopefully by that time, more development happens on YogaSMC and Itlwm and IntelBluetoothFirmware.
Hackintosh is seeing a lot of excellent development recently and the experience will become much better soon.

Im on Windows and Linux right now mostly.
Will test charging iPhone XS Max and iPads a bit more to see & confirm if it really is 100% a hardware or software issue as this problem sort of remains a mystery.

I really wish at this point someone ports the Linux Card Reader driver from Linux.
It is the only perfect solution guaranteed to solve the problem and add support for the entire Card Readers available on the market.

Actually it’s a sort of VirtualSMC plugin as it has dependencies on VirtualSMC.
Unless he removed that recently and changed it to work natively.
Nonetheless with all the recent changes more patching will be moved to kexts and acpi side will be enlightened quite a lot.

For example BrightnessKeys will be a VoodooPS2 plugin like VoodooInput to handle Brightness Keys for all laptop (without the need to tweak those).
We worked into that with Zhen-Zhen.
So patches for Brightness keys will not be necessary anymore.

Into YogaSMC there is a lot of development going on, the mic mute & the LED and stuff will be configured there and work natively without having to patch SSDT for that either.
Stuff like battery conservation, LED blinks and stuff.
I will need to do some cleanup on the part of ThinkPad Assistant SSDT as a lot of that manual work will be done natively with YogaSMC.

We may need to pinpoint Mszturc to YogaSMC repository to do some cleanup on ThinkPad Assistant

VoodooRMI is also the new touchpad kext which works perfect.

VoodooSMBUS is also the other SMBUS kext which also enables additional Power Management and supports VoodooRMI.

Itlwm is the next “dream come true” as Intel cards now work and we don’t need to deal with Bios Mods and leave ourself exposed by using older bios versions which have security holes and stuff.
Unless you guys have mods on latest ones.

The reason i skipped two releases is that i have been busy with real life stuff current version is stable enough as of now as it is.

macOS Big Sur beta is still buggy, on my MBP especially, so i will be busy for two more weeks with real life things and after that i may possibly have more time for hackintosh.
Hopefully by that time, more development happens on YogaSMC and Itlwm and IntelBluetoothFirmware.
Hackintosh is seeing a lot of excellent development recently and the experience will become much better soon.

Im on Windows and Linux right now mostly.
Will test charging iPhone XS Max and iPads a bit more to see & confirm if it really is 100% a hardware or software issue as this problem sort of remains a mystery.

I really wish at this point someone ports the Linux Card Reader driver from Linux.
It is the only perfect solution guaranteed to solve the problem and add support for the entire Card Readers available on the market.
Thanks for the status update. I completely agree with keeping things the way they are, especially since your last update was very stable.

In fact, that's precisely why I'm still on Clover / Mojave - for now, it's doing what I need it to do, and the machine is very stable. Why fix things when it's not broken? The last thing I've done was simply update some of the keyboard patches so I can take advantage of the Thinkpad Assistant app (which is working perfectly for me, by the way).

Yes, eventually I'll venture into an OS upgrade, but for now I like the stability and compatibility of Mojave. The only thing that will require me to update is when my Xcode becomes too out of date for the OS. :mad:

Thank you Sniki so much for the amazing guide! :clap: I am planning on buying either T440s or T440p. Can anyone confirm if either of them can output 4K resolution via miniDP to an external monitor in Catalina? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thank you Sniki so much for the amazing guide! :clap: I am planning on buying either T440s or T440p. Can anyone confirm if either of them can output 4K resolution via miniDP to an external monitor in Catalina? Thanks.

I tried connecting my T440s to my 4K display (that I used with my hackintosh desktop), it worked, but 30Hz is absolutely unusable, you see the cursor lagging. No way you can get 60Hz from the integrated Intel GPU in the Haswell Thinkpads.

I need help:
Error when using mini DisplayPort port.
Today I bought a cable to switch from mini displayport to hdmi, when I plug it in the device goes black screen!

Cable Ugreen 10460

Video and framebuffer config in attached.

Thanks.

[Sloved]
Add framebuffer patch like clover config guide
XML:
<dict>
    <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
    <dict>
        <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
        <data>
        BgAmCg==
        </data>
        <key>device-id</key>
        <data>
        EgQAAA==
        </data>
        <key>disable-hdmi-patches</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>enable-hdmi20</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-cursormem</key>
        <data>
        AACQAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-alldata</key>
        <data>
        AQUSAAAEAACHAAAA
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con2-alldata</key>
        <data>
        AgQSABAAAACHAAAA
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
    </dict>
</dict>

1602497132006.png

Attachments

• IMG_2505.MOV.zip
    58.1 MB · Views: 65
  • 1602496183321.png
    1602496183321.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 1602496389290.png
    1602496389290.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Some follow-up updates regarding the incoming changes to the guide update to OC 0.6.3

Here are some of the massive upcoming updates:

Battery: One single SSDT-BATX and nothing else, 0 patches, 0 renames, 0 mutex. (entire config.plist > ACPI > Patches) has only like 3-4 patches/renames in total and that's it.

YogaSMC: A new SMC emulator kext ported from Linux to fully support ThinkPads in macOS:
1. LED Control fixes and Windows/Linux like blinking features when charging, sleeping, mic mute support with correct LED syncing on wake/sleep, shutdown/restart.
2. Fan RPM reading
3. Conservation Mode
4. Battery Threshold
5. Keyboard Backlight
6. Fn Lock Mode & Hotkey Polling - Full keyboard map (replaces ThinkPadAssistant), 0 Q* methods renames.

Touchscreen - Users with Touchscreen displays now have fully working touch support with 4 fingers gestures included like on real MacBook(s) TouchPads with VoodooI2C.

Touchpads - VoodooRMI is now the default Touchpad kext as it supports physical buttons correctly and gives us the correct functionality of our touchpad, much smoother experience on both touch and gestures.

SMBUS - VoodooSMBus is now the kext that correctly add SMBUS support to macOS with correct power management and full Touchpad support.

Secure Boot - a feature recently added to OpenCore is now fully functional. all this thanks to Andrey1970 for giving me the solution to fix garbled screen with CSM disabled. Now we can enjoy the greater UEFI Lenovo Splash screen with CSM Disabled.
This will require to patch EDID, will add the instructions into the guide so everyone can fix it.

Audio - Still working into this one, however Codec Commander now can be finally archived as Sending Verbs from user space is possible on latest AppleALC, will update accordingly before release, 3 possible solutions on my mind.
1. Codec Commander can be now fully removed and instead maybe just use a small script to launch at startup so it sends the command:
Code:
hda-verb 0x1a SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x24
2. Use the new ALCPlugFix built on Swift that doesn't use/need something like had-verb/alc-verb and works natively with AppleALC.
3. Look further for the "not found but existing solution" for the static noise as I believe we get closer every time we spend time investigating.

Intel AC7260 - Intel Wi-Fi and Bluetooth cards are supported (still not complete and sometimes buggy) but I believe it's time to include Airportitlwm.kext into the EFI as I am sure that a lot of people hesitate to go and patch Bios to remove whitelist or don't have the resources/ways to buy supported Wireless and Bluetooth Cards.
The problem is that only N mode is supported and the speeds are kinda slow.
for example I have 250mbps internet:
On 2.4Ghz I should get 100mbps but with Airportitlwm.kext get 50-70mbps.
On 5Ghz I get 250mbps but with Airportitlwm.kext I get 50-70mbps.
Bluetooth works fine as well and features like AppleWatch Unlock, Continuity, HandOff are normally supported but they may be buggy from time to time and the bluetooth range is not that great.

USB - situation will still be improved and still working on (attempting to resolve the charging issues) which seem either hardware limitation or bad OEM ACPI implementation.

Power Management - As seen by the list Power Management should be much better now but i believe can be further improved. (i already had better battery life on macOS since Clover releases compared to Windows 10 anyway)

At this point i believe it's time for everyone who is still on Clover to do the switch to OC with this upcoming release as it's really pointless and big waste to not experience the depths and full capacity of your thinkpads.

I wish someone would port the completed Linux driver for Card Readers.

Credits to the amazing team:
BenBender
Zhen-Zen

@Sniki wow that is quite the update! And yes...I think it will finally be time for me to migrate to OC. Hopefully all of these updates / new features will be compatible with Mojave, since I still do not plan to upgrade to Catalina / Big Sur at least for now.

I'm really excited to try out the new Touchscreen features! And YogaSMC sounds like a fantastic new implementation.

@Sniki wow that is quite the update! And yes...I think it will finally be time for me to migrate to OC. Hopefully all of these updates / new features will be compatible with Mojave, since I still do not plan to upgrade to Catalina / Big Sur at least for now.

I'm really excited to try out the new Touchscreen features! And YogaSMC sounds like a fantastic new implementation.
There should be no issues nor compatibility problems on macOS Mojave.

Even if something pops up, i will be there to help you resolve it.

There should be no issues nor compatibility problems on macOS Mojave.

Even if something pops up, i will be there to help you resolve it.
Great! This time around, after all of the bugs/issues have been ironed out, I think I'll finally make the switch.

I believe it should be up before Christmas, i have to iron out a few more little annoyances.

If i don't manage to complete them in time & what i have in progress, i will skip those parts and leave them on another upcoming release. That way i can release what i already have since the changes are already massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back