i7-3770
Graphics
Intel HD 3000 | GTX 1650 LP
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Logo.jpg

Lenovo ThinkPad T440S using OpenCore (0.6.7)

The up to date EFI and the more detailed usage explanation can be found at: https://github.com/Sniki/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440S

Warning !
RESET NVRAM: please do not use this option, there is an issue from Lenovo's side on the 2-3 recent versions of Bios which after NVRAM reset, the Laptop get's bricked and you will have to flash original bios back with a SPI Programmer.

Preparation
The OpenCore EFI that i have provided is completely baked for you, which means all the possibly necessary kexts that may be required, all the Drivers and all the ACPI Patches the config.plist etc are there and configured for use OOB.

So everyone that plans to use this guide, is required to complete these small tweaks to have everything working:

1. SMBIOS values

Note: MacbookPro11,1 is the only SMBIOS that you should use, for that reason it is already set into the config.plist

In order to have iMessages and other iCloud Services make sure to port the values from your Clover config.plist
Open Config.plist of OpenCore EFI with PlistEditPro

Go to config.plist / PlatformInfo / Generic and copy/paste the values from Clover to the OpenCore config.plist file.
Or in case you don't have any IDs from previous setup, you can generate new ones.
SMBIOS.png

Installation
For installation there are 3 options that you can try but first make sure you are using latest Clover guide where you have no kext installed into /Library/Extensions or you will have big problems, on my latest Clover guide i have noted that kexts shouldn't be installed into system anymore but EFI/Clover/kexts/Other, so the same principles apply here, all latest kexts are already included into this OpenCore EFI but /Library/Extensions should have no hackintosh kexts there.

Option 1: OpenCore EFI USB
This is the safest way to test it, all you have to do is get a USB drive, format it as HFS+J GPT, mount the USB EFI and copy the EFI of the OpenCore that i attached and simply reboot and boot from USB, you will maintain your installation but instead of your current Clover EFI you boot from the OpenCore EFI from USB.

Option 2: Replace Clover EFI with OpenCore EFI (prefered after Option 1 tested successfully and no problems spotted).
Mount the EFI partition of your HDD/SSD, compress the old EFI (Clover), delete the EFI folder and add the OpenCore EFI, reboot

Option 3: OpenCore USB Installer Same as Option 1 but if you prefer to clean install simply create the USB Installer like you usually do but after USB Installation media has been completed from terminal, mount EFI and place the OpenCore EFI and reboot, boot from USB and start installation.

Problem Reporting and Troubleshooting
Please provide proper Problem Reporting (archive) which includes the EFI and a copy of IOREG.
IOREG should be saved with the correct working version of IOregistryExplorer that can be found here:
Also like i said above i recommend only more advanced users and even them to do proper problem reporting with well documented problem reporting with clear description or solution.

Before posting, please read the official Acidanthera Open Core Configuration.pdf file which includes all the informations on how to create a config.plist and all the quirks and patches with all their descriptions provided (attached at the end of this post)

Ignore files at the end of the post, these are just backups, use the EFI from the Github repository.

Attachments

• OC-EFI 0.5.9.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 2,035
Last edited:
Known Issues
  • Docking Station Audio Jack has no input support, only output because we can't use two inputs as LineIn.
  • Kernel Panic into an Instant Reboot when attempting sleep, restart or Shutdown while External Display connected on one of the Docking Station Video Ports (DisplayPort, DVI, VGA)
  • No DisplayPort Audio when using the Docking Station DisplayPort

Last edited:
Great stuff! Thank you so much for releasing it. I'll try it ASAP. Quick question, where do we get the MLB/ROM values from clover's config.plist? It seems like I do not have these set.

Great stuff! Thank you so much for releasing it. I'll try it ASAP. Quick question, where do we get the MLB/ROM values from clover's config.plist? It seems like I do not have these set.
Did you have working iMessage ?
From clover config.plist , you can get them here:
Config.plist > SMBIOS > Serial Number, UUID, MLB (board serial number)
Config.plist > RT variables > ROM , rom can also be your lan or WLAN mac Address but customized.
This is only if you had a working iMessage previously or generated smbios values.

Follow @P1LGRIM idiot's guide to iMessage for more instructions regarding iMessage.

Did you have working iMessage ?
From clover config.plist , you can get them here:
Config.plist > SMBIOS > Serial Number, UUID, MLB (board serial number)
Config.plist > RT variables > ROM , rom can also be your lan or WLAN mac Address but customized.
This is only if you had a working iMessage previously or generated smbios values.

Follow @P1LGRIM idiot's guide to iMessage for more instructions regarding iMessage.
Oh, no I didn't have working iMessage but I don't need it. Maybe someone else who uses it can hop into here.

I did some quick testing and everything seems to work nice and smooth. VGA works which is great (the one OC EFI I found on GitHub didn't have working VGA). Boot time is noticeably quicker. I will see how the rest of the OS responds to the new config.

I have one little issue though: the Audio.
It works perfectly fine through the speakers, but when I try using the headphones.. nothing. I made sure to manually switch the audio output like you wrote, but it didn't work for me either. I guess there are probably good reasons behind this effort to use this codec without CodecComander and ALCPlugFix, but honestly, at least for now, the audio setup on your clover guide was perfectly fine for me. Could you advise me how to incorporate that audio setup with OpenCore? I tried copying CodecCommander.kext and AppleALC.kext from my clover EFI to my OC EFI (and including CodecCommander.kext in the config.plist after AppleALC.kext) as well as reinstalling ALCPlugFix, but there's still no audio through headphones. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, no I didn't have working iMessage but I don't need it. Maybe someone else who uses it can hop into here.

I did some quick testing and everything seems to work nice and smooth. VGA works which is great (the one OC EFI I found on GitHub didn't have working VGA). Boot time is noticeably quicker. I will see how the rest of the OS responds to the new config.

I have one little issue though: the Audio.
It works perfectly fine through the speakers, but when I try using the headphones.. nothing. I made sure to manually switch the audio output like you wrote, but it didn't work for me either. I guess there are probably good reasons behind this effort to use this codec without CodecComander and ALCPlugFix, but honestly, at least for now, the audio setup on your clover guide was perfectly fine for me. Could you advise me how to incorporate that audio setup with OpenCore? I tried copying CodecCommander.kext and AppleALC.kext from my clover EFI to my OC EFI (and including CodecCommander.kext in the config.plist after AppleALC.kext) as well as reinstalling ALCPlugFix, but there's still no audio through headphones. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
The problem may be ALCPlugFix, remove it from system to use it with this layout-id, it may be interfering with the new patch.
Remove codeccommander and ALCPlugFix
OR:
revert to old layout-id:
config.plist > DeviceProperties > Add > expand them and change layout-id 0F000000 to 1C000000 to both audio and hdau device (2 of the property addressees.

The problem may be ALCPlugFix, remove it from system to use it with this layout-id, it may be interfering with the new patch.
Remove codeccommander and ALCPlugFix
OR:
revert to old layout-id:
config.plist > DeviceProperties > Add > expand them and change layout-id 0F000000 to 1C000000 to both audio and hdau device (2 of the property addressees.
Hmm, neither of the solutions worked for me. I tried both removing codeccommander and ALCPlugFix as well as reverting to old layout-id.

For the record, when I used an EFI from github, specifically this one: https://github.com/thebinh-lg051/ThinkPad-T440s-Hackintosh

audio with headphones worked fine for me if I recall correctly, don't take my word on that one :D . I skimmed over their config.plist and seems like they're handling audio a bit differently. Would you mind checking it out? Did the CodecCommander+old layout-id combo work for you on opencore? I'm a bit puzzled as to why neither solution works for me. o_O

Hmm, neither of the solutions worked for me. I tried both removing codeccommander and ALCPlugFix as well as reverting to old layout-id.

For the record, when I used an EFI from github, specifically this one: https://github.com/thebinh-lg051/ThinkPad-T440s-Hackintosh

audio with headphones worked fine for me if I recall correctly, don't take my word on that one :D . I skimmed over their config.plist and seems like they're handling audio a bit differently. Would you mind checking it out? Did the CodecCommander+old layout-id combo work for you on opencore? I'm a bit puzzled as to why neither solution works for me. o_O
Try EC reset or there is something else interfering, it is working fine for me.

If that doesnt work, upload ioreg and kextcache output

People who steal my work and add a paypal and btc/ethereum link to get money from others work no credits given or source explained, fair enough but i guess i will license all my github projects just to be clear and so people can have some manners :).
After all, all these ThinkPad Haswell series have been hotpatched by me, i was the first one to put out this technique right after RehabMan implemented that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back