i7-4710MQ
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

CURRENT RELEASE - v0.6-beta1, see releases page for older releases here - https://github.com/VinylNerd/ThinkPad-T440P-OpenCore/releases

IMG_2865 Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 4 25 26 PM

WHAT WORKS​

• Power management/sleep
  • Brightness/Volume Control
  • Battery Information
  • Audio : from internal speaker and headphone jack
  • USB Ports, Built-in Camera
  • Graphics Acceleration
  • FaceTime/iMessage
  • DVD Drive
  • Automatic OS updates
  • Trackpoint/Touchpad (gestures and scrolling only possible with Synaptics T450 trackpad)
  • Dock USB ports
  • Dock DisplayPorts, HDMI, DVI and VGA
  • Build-in SD Card Reader

Known problems
  • Ultra Dock problems (when using external display connected to dock sleep/shutdown causes kernel panic and reboot, audio jack also not working)

BIOS SETTINGS​

The BIOS must be properly configured prior to installing macOS.

In Security menu, set the following settings:

Security > Security Chip: must be Disabled,
Memory Protection > Execution Prevention: must be Enabled,
Internal Device Access > Bottom Cover Tamper Detection: must be Disabled,
Anti-Theft > Current Setting: must be Disabled,
Anti-Theft > Computrace > Current Setting: must be Disabled,
Secure Boot > Secure Boot: must be Disabled.

In Startup menu, set the following options:

UEFI/Legacy Boot: Both,
UEFI/Legacy Priority: UEFI First,
CSM Support: Yes.

Now you can go through the install.

Generating your own serial and Editing ROM​

using GenSMBIOS (https://github.com/corpnewt/GenSMBIOS) generate a serial for MacBookPro11,1

I advise against 11,2 as the usb mapping is slightly different. As we move to Monteray 11,4 will be the only option for SMBIOS

use Plist edit pro, or something else to manually enter the details in the config where it sais YOUR STUFF HERE (as shown in photo) SystemSerialNumber, MLB, and UUID

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 5 41 49 PM

You should also edit your ROM to match the MAC address of your ethernet adapter as per the opencore guide, however i personally am not sure if it matters.

CREATING YOUR INSTALLER USB, OR USING THIS EFI​

If you already have MacOS installed, i recomend trying this EFI on a USB first, in the boot menu you will see a clearnvram option, choose this, and then the shutdown option. if it works for you then you can proceed to move it to your main drive

If you don't have MacOS installed, we will cover how to install MacOS on your system.

If you wish to dual boot please use seperate hard drives for macOS and any other OS, if you do want to dualboot, understanding the "LauncherOption" setting is important.

Follow this guide to learn how create a USB installer - https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/bootable-mac-installer-3575875/

Copy EFI folder to USB​

Copy the content of the EFI folder provided here with your own Serial ect. on your USB flash drive EFI partition. The EFI partition is usually hidden. You can use OpenCore Configurator, Clover Configurator, and a few other tools to mount it

Install macOS​

Install macOS by booting on the USB key. It takes about 30min. The computer will restart multiple times. You may or may not need to manually click to continue the install or it may just go on its own.

To finish the setup, you need to:

Copy EFI folder from USB flash drive to local drive EFI partition (like you did for the USB drive). It will make the local drive bootable (so you can get ride of the USB drive now),

You're done! Reboot and enjoy macOS on your Thinkpad T440p.

Getting Audio Working​

Your audio may work without this, but without this patch, you will definately have noise on the headphone jack

Switch from VoodooHDA to AppleALC - if you have never installed VoodooHDA skip steps 1 and 2
  1. Remove VoodooHDA.kext If its installed from Macintosh HD->Library->Extensions
  2. Remove VoodooHDA.prefPane by searching for preference panes and removing it, make sure to delete both from trash
  3. Place ALCPlugFix on Desktop
  4. Run these commands

sudo spctl --master-disable

sudo mkdir /usr/local/bin/

cd Desktop/ALCPlugFix

ALCPlugFix % chmod +x ./install.sh

if you dont, then type this command

ALCPlugFix % ./install.sh

and you should see

Installing ALCPlugFix v1.7

Done!

NOTE: the first time i did installed it this is what worked, it seemed that the headphone jack noise came back so i ran these commands again

sudo spctl --master-disable

sudo mkdir /usr/local/bin/

cd Desktop/ALCPlugFix

ALCPlugFix % chmod +x ./install.sh

and it started working again, i will update this in the future when i better understand it

WI-FI, Bluetooth, Airdrop, and Continuity​

This current build does not include any kexts for other wirless cards. As im using apple wireless card, you will need to add your own kexts for these cards, i recomend learning more here - https://dortania.github.io/Wireless-Buyers-Guide/Kext.html#broadcom

7260NGW​

When i first got the T440P it had Intel 7260NGW 2x2 AC Card which i was able to make work with Wifi and Bluetooth. however the Wifi was not good, 2.4GHz was working but not properly, 5GHz was barely working, bluetooth worked but airdrop did not.

DW1820A​

This was the first card i tried to use after the intel, i believe 2.4GHz and 5GHz worked, bluetooth worked, but airdrop did not.

BCM94360NGW​

this was the second card i tried to use, 2.4GHz and 5GHz gave packet loss and maxed out 434mbps NSS:1, bluetooth worked, airdrop worked, wifi was not acceptable.

DW1560​

this was the third card i tried to use, 2.4GHz and 5GHz work great but max out 434mbps, bluetooth works, airdrop works but is to slow for me.

DW1830​

this was the fourth card i tried to use, the card is to big so requires being physically cut to fit into the laptop, i made a cut to the card and was able to get it in but it didnt perform as i was likign and didnt show AC link rates so rather than doing more work to fit it properly i stopped, its possible if cut down properly it could work with a 3x3 antenna solution, but because of the price of the card i wouldnt suggest this

BCM94360CS2​

this is the Apple card which comes from the Macbook Air, its 2x2 same as thinkpad, and fits alot easier than one would think, in order to fit the card you must remove the bottom cover, which requires removing the keyboard and palmrest, however once done wifi does not require any extra kexts and works flawlessly with NSS:2 link rate 867 on Catalina and Big Sur

Status Finished
Test time 10.17 seconds
Transferred bytes 344.93 MB uploaded
Speed 284.61 Mbps

BCM94360CS​

this is the Apple card which comes from the Macbook Pro, its 3x3 same , and is bigger than the 2x2 card, in order to fit the card you must make a small cut in the case after removing the bottom cover, which requires removing the keyboard and palmrest, however once done wifi does not require any extra kexts and works flawlessly with NSS:3 link rate 1300 on Catalina and Big Sur

NOTE THIS CARD WILL CAUSE WINDOWS REBOOTS TO HANG , i do not have any other cards to test if this is the case with them anymore but i can confirm its the case with this one, turning off bluetooth in bios fixes the issue but it more painful than just holding power button for 5 seconds and restarting which fixed it

Status Finished
Test time 10.04 seconds
Transferred bytes 377.21 MB uploaded
Speed 315.24 Mbps

IMG_3582

BCM943602CS​

this is a 4.1/4.2 version of the BCM94360CS, this card has issues with bluetooth connection at UEFI / OpenCore level and HID proxy mode does not work, wit the BCM94360CS HID proxy mode does work, other than this there was no observed differences in the two cards

Other​

Voltage Shift​

to use voltage shift you must first download it here https://github.com/sicreative/VoltageShift once downloaded unpack the 1.25 version.

inside this there will be a voltageshift.exec file, this is all you need, place this file wherever you want and execute the command from there, for example i have a folder named "voltageshift" in my documents folder with the exec file inside of it, so i open terminal and type "cd Documents/voltageshift" and then you can play around with entering commands, but be careful

if you wish to skip toying and unlock your CPU for its max potential i recomend running this command

"sudo ./voltageshift buildlaunchd -70 -70 -70 -70 -70 -70 1 55 80 1 160"

it will yeild this results automatically everytime upon boot

CPU voltage offset: -70mv GPU voltage offset: -70mv CPU Cache voltage offset: -70mv System Agency offset: -70mv Analogy I/O: -70mv Digital I/O: -70mv CPU BaseFreq: 2500, CPU MaxFreq(1/2/4): 3500/3400/3300 (mhz) PL1: 55W PL2: 80W CPU Freq: 2.5ghz, Voltage: 0.7955v, Power:pkg 18.74w /core 8.73w,Temp: 54 c Connor@Connors-MBP voltageshift %

YogaSMC​

Yoga SMC is now partially working as of v0.3-beta1, fan control is working but i can't get DYTC to work, if anyone can help feel free to open an issue

to download go here - https://github.com/zhen-zen/YogaSMC/releases

all you need to download is YogaSMC-App-Release.dmg

once downloaded place in applications folder, to enable control of fan down to stopped go into preferences>think>allowfanstop

any questions or issues please create a ticket

Dock​

Dock is working for usb but using HDMI/DP/DVI/VGA causes kerel panic on sleep/shutdown/reboot.

Sleep​

sleep and wake works as normal with the dock, but wake from USB devices will not work due to a ACPI patch that has been applied to stop it from constantly waking with the dock, if you do not use dock and wish to enable wake from sleep with usb devices, make sure to disable this acpi patch listed in the bottom of ACPI>PATCH

Instant Wake Fix ( IGBE _PRW 0x0D, 0x04 to 0)

wake from sleep using bluetooth devices with genuine apple wifi cards like BCM943602CS, BCM94360CS, BCM94360CS2, and BCM94360CD does not, and will not work AFAIK, please report if you have a different result, cards like the DW1560 can wake from sleep with bluetooth, however it can be a pain to get working.

Thats it, your done, please let me know if you have any issues.

Monterey coming soon :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 1.28.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 1.28.25 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 266
thank you for an excellent guide :)

however, I'm getting stuck and hope you can help. I've created a big sur installer, added your latest EFI folder, generated serials and added these to the config.plist

on my t440p I can boot into the installer, the installer gets to 12 minutes remaining and then the system reboots, opencore loads and i can select Macosinstaller but then the system just gets stuck in a boot loop. The Apple logo briefly appears on the screen before the system boot loops again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying to get this to work all day!

p.s I've got a modded bios with the whitelist removed and have updated bios settings as per the guide

thank you for an excellent guide :)

however, I'm getting stuck and hope you can help. I've created a big sur installer, added your latest EFI folder, generated serials and added these to the config.plist

on my t440p I can boot into the installer, the installer gets to 12 minutes remaining and then the system reboots, opencore loads and i can select Macosinstaller but then the system just gets stuck in a boot loop. The Apple logo briefly appears on the screen before the system boot loops again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying to get this to work all day!

p.s I've got a modded bios with the whitelist removed and have updated bios settings as per the guide
Hey, i truly wish i could be of more help but im not sure what to say, the best option would be to turn on verbose mode and watch the logs to see what happens, let me know if you need help doing that, i use opencore configurator so that's what id recommend to do it

Thanks for getting back to me :)

I managed to get it to work, I went through the whole process again with a different usb key and it worked fine.

Just one question, I'm running an i7 4600m but am planning on upgrading to a quad core, will I need to change anything when I install the new chip or should osx just recognise it?

Thanks for getting back to me :)

I managed to get it to work, I went through the whole process again with a different usb key and it worked fine.

Just one question, I'm running an i7 4600m but am planning on upgrading to a quad core, will I need to change anything when I install the new chip or should osx just recognise it?
yes, as long as it has intel HD graphics and not iris graphics it should work. just keep in mind my current build is not working with Monterey, only Big Sur.

as for Monterey, i have it working but am running into an issue getting bluetooth to work after sleep

I had the issue fixed on 11.1 however 11.2 broke it. been trying to wrap my head around a fix but im a bit stuck.

switching hibernate mode to 25 from 3 fixes the bluetooth wake issue and allows a script to restart bluetooth immediately on wake but now hibernate mode 25 is causing issues waking from sleep at all.

i seem to have a slightly damaged display cable which ive ordered a replacement from in hopes to get Monterey to the point where im happy using it as my main build and wipe my Big Sur partition all together

yes, as long as it has intel HD graphics and not iris graphics it should work. just keep in mind my current build is not working with Monterey, only Big Sur.

as for Monterey, i have it working but am running into an issue getting bluetooth to work after sleep

I had the issue fixed on 11.1 however 11.2 broke it. been trying to wrap my head around a fix but im a bit stuck.

switching hibernate mode to 25 from 3 fixes the bluetooth wake issue and allows a script to restart bluetooth immediately on wake but now hibernate mode 25 is causing issues waking from sleep at all.

i seem to have a slightly damaged display cable which ive ordered a replacement from in hopes to get Monterey to the point where im happy using it as my main build and wipe my Big Sur partition all together
Great, what CPU do you use?

Re Monterey, it would be awesome to see this running on the trusty T440P, but it sounds like it's proving to be more complicated than Big Sur!

Kudos for sticking at it though, it sounds complicated!!

Do you have any other hackintosh systems at the moment? I'm also thinking about putting together a lowish cost desktop system and am trying to pick out parts :)

My T440P is the only thing i use as im a 1 computer for everything kinda guy, i hate the idea of having multiple computers for use on a regular basis.

i have a 4710MQ and its what id recommend for the ideal T440P

That's fair enough.. the only reason I'm interested in building a desktop is because I'm into video editing and wasn't sure if the t440p would have enough grunt..

I can get a 4710mq for the same price as a 4810mq, the only difference I can see is that it looks like the igpu runs a bit quicker on the 4810mq, would you still go for the 4710mq?

Thanks again for all your help and the hours you've put into this project :)

if its the same price it may be a good choice, but it will probably not be able to hold turbo like a 4710mq can

id read this closely mostly noting power consumption graphs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back