Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo ThinkPad T440P [OpenCore 0.5.9]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are welcome,
Yes there will be but as usual when i do updates i prefer them to have some great improvements and not just the random EFI update that anyone can do on their own.
Main problem has been and remains to be free time and the evil cause of all this is procrastination that sort of developed into me. Im soon going to change that as i am really fed up with it and my time is flying without doing anything at all.

Anyway, main changes so far:
  • Plan to update at Acidanthera March Update kexts and OpenCore 0.6.7
  • SD Card Reader now works after wake from sleep perfectly fine and has the SD icon on mounted volumes.
  • YogaSMC has seen some major improvements and does a lot of new stuff like Fan RPM Reading & Control, etc.
  • Latest VoodooRMI & VoodooSMBus should work fine now even on the original touchpad (without buttons).
  • Plan to separate a .plist file with only the SSDT, Patches, DeviceProperties, Kexts, Quirks for this laptop so it will be easier to maintain and update projects on each newer version.

Still trying to figure out:
  • How the hell to fix once and for all the crazy evil ALC3232 audio codec crackling without ALCPlugFix and how to have both an External Microphone and LineIn for complete Laptop and Docking Station Support.
  • Kernel Panics on Docking Station if Shutdown, Sleep or Reboot is initiated when an External Display is connected on any of the Docking Station Ports.
  • DisplayPort Audio on the Docking Station.
Will try to do some reverse Engineering into my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) and see how is the codec and audio implemented from top to bottom and maybe figure out any hints on have everything is configured.

Thank you very much for answering!
Everything you say sounds great to me. It was just curiosity, but I understand that you are going to take as long as you need.
I take this opportunity to thank you and everyone for all the work you do for which we have no idea hehehe, but we can enjoy your effort.

ive got HDD caddy working on big sur with no kexts, showing up perfectly as internal drive, is this the case for others? i read that it won't work on big sur, so was suprised it worked for me. it may have to do with some BIOS settings i changed up before trying it in order to give myself the best chance at success, now to grab another SSD and get dual boot with windows working :)

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 12.16.05 AM.png

Oh nice, i had to do injection to make it work, dont know why

Oh nice, i had to do injection to make it work, dont know why
try making sure hot plug for the drive is disabled in bios and if its SSD set it to SSD in bios

A soon as i have time il try it.
I also want to give a try to your EFI, since im interested in the FakeSMC thing that you were testing.
In the last period i feel my installation instable and sluggish even in the normal stuff (i usually develop on my t440p but also browse media), and i want to check if is caused by that

@Sniki dat new OC update for the t440s looking snazzy, wondering when the big brother gets the treatment :p

I can't promise the T440P update for this week/weekend but during next week, i may say confidently that it will be up.

Lot of changes as you have seen in the T440s update.
All of them are coming to the T440P as well and expect a noticeable general improvement on performance, reliability/stability and also functionality.

FakeSMC is history, VirtualSMC is the future and YogaSMC is the cherry on top of it.
Native full keyboard support, fan speed reading, control, charging control, complete LED Control and support.
It has been ported from linux so almost every thinkpad functionality regarding SMC level, it is there.

I believe aside from the (most of these things that cannot be fixed, some can and may in the future):
- FingerPrint Reader
- DRM Content
- Nvidia GPU for dual Graphics T440p(s)
- Dock Kernel panic if sleep,shutdown or reboot when using external display on one of the dock ports.

Everything else should work at it's best.

I have been looking a lot for a T440P but i cannot find any on my country that is for sale/or for a reasonable price.

A quick opinion request from you guys:
- Is it better to get just the intel version
- Or is it better to get the one with Nvidia as well.

How does the nvidia GPU work on Windows and Linux, does it actually help in any intensive tasks depending on your use cases, would like some opinion regarding to that if i ever get my hands on any T440P.

I can't promise the T440P update for this week/weekend but during next week, i may say confidently that it will be up.

All of them are coming to the T440P as well and expect a noticeable general improvement on performance, reliability/stability and also functionality.

FakeSMC is history, VirtualSMC is the future and YogaSMC is the cherry on top of it.
Native full keyboard support, fan speed reading, control, charging control, complete LED Control and support.
It has been ported from linux so almost every thinkpad functionality regarding SMC level, it is there.

I believe aside from the (most of these things that cannot be fixed, some can and may in the future):
- FingerPrint Reader
- DRM Content
- Dock Kernel panic if sleep,shutdown or reboot when using external display on one of the dock ports.

I have been looking a lot for a T440P but i cannot find any on my country that is for sale/or for a reasonable price.

How does the nvidia GPU work on Windows and Linux, does it actually help in any intensive tasks depending on your use cases, would like some opinion regarding to that if i ever get my hands on any T440P.
I doubt the 730M would be that much faster than the HD 4600, especially since you can throw a modded 4980HQ with the Iris 5200 graphics inside (have to sacrifise the laptops displayport tho, docking stations DP still works)

- FingerPrint Reader
- DRM Content

Laptops have gotten really expensive in general since covid 19

Like a year ago you could've easily gotten a T430, T440p or something along those lines for like 100-150 bucks.

I doubt the 730M would be that much faster than the HD 4600, especially since you can throw a modded 4980HQ with the Iris 5200 graphics inside (have to sacrifise the laptops displayport tho, docking stations DP still works)
I do have a 4700MQ CPU ready/not in use right now.
It was on my L440 that i did upgrade from the i5-4300M but i did revert it back for better battery life since it uses less power as my father is using the L440 now, his use case is mostly Web Browsing, Media Consumption, and some little Office use.
So for now i may have a decent Quad-Core CPU for a T440P, so i can buy/hunt for the cheapest one available, main criteria would be to have a decent and good shape chassis.
Display & TouchPad will be updated anyway, SSD is no discussion, it's a must !

HDD doesn't exist for me anymore, if i had only those two choices:
- i'd rather have an ancient laptop/desktop with SSD
- rather than the latest most powerful Intel CPU desktop but being forced to use a spinning HDD.
Not sure how much the 4980HQ does cost ?, any ideas ?
Why doesn't the DisplayPort work with that CPU ?, is it something on Windows 10 as well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back